Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ear/Hearing protection

MissionaryMike

I'm in my mid-30s, but I already have a bit of hearing loss, mostly caused by an unhealthy lifestyle in my younger, dumber days. I want to do all I can to minimize any further loss of hearing. At the same time, while I'm on the firing line or at the range, I want to be able to hear everything going on around me, as I consider that I safety issue to my well-being also.

Apart from the ability to block bad noises and let in good ones, comfort is definitely a priority. Size might be of some concern if I ever decide to get into 3 gun or rifle shooting. Of course, I'm looking for value, but I know that as with most things in life, you get what you pay for. In my limited research, I'm come across an ear bud called Ghost Stryke. Apparently, they have a suped-up version 2 of the original. It's quite pricey, but it seems to address the qualities I'm looking for. Any input on these particular protection buds? Are they worth the steep price? Any others I should consider seriously?

Much appreciated,

MM

I don't know how well they work, but your inquiry prompted me to look at their website. An NRR of 30, 6x amplification (if desired, looks pretty good, so I ordered a pair. I plan on using those under a lightweight pair of ear muffs while shooting.

I believe I found a decent priced place, pm me if you're interested.

p.s. Sorry, I couldn't answer your question...yet :)

if you're not 100% set on buds I'd consider peltor tactical sports. they are slim profile (so should be fine for 3gun), and I'd also recommend buying the 'camelback' gel cups which increase NRR, increase comfort and provide 2 seals which is needed when wearing over glasses.

they have good amplification and excellent sound processing hardware (no clipping, very fast response).

• 3 months later...

I'm in my mid-30s, but I already have a bit of hearing loss, mostly caused by an unhealthy lifestyle in my younger, dumber days. I want to do all I can to minimize any further loss of hearing. At the same time, while I'm on the firing line or at the range, I want to be able to hear everything going on around me, as I consider that I safety issue to my well-being also.

As ridiculous as it sounds:

Wear internal ear plugs (30 dB or as much as you can get) and put electronic muffs over them. You can still get the volume up enough to hear range conversation but the double layer protection works the best for the very loud sounds.

Wearing good muffs over internal plugs raises the protection ballpark 15 dB better than using very good plugs or muffs alone. That difference is actually huge for ear protection.

Edited by bountyhunter

• 2 weeks later...

I use Etymotic GSP15 electronic earbuds. What I liked about them over others is the sound quality, they're as good as studio monitors.

+1 I love mine, got tired of my ears sweating in the summertime.....

I don't know how well they work, but your inquiry prompted me to look at their website. An NRR of 30, 6x amplification (if desired, looks pretty good, so I ordered a pair. I plan on using those under a lightweight pair of ear muffs while shooting.

How did they work? I'm interested myself

How did they work? I'm interested myself

They work pretty well.. The audio quality isn't as good as my ProEars, but the noise blocking is pretty impressive. I still put on a pair of muffs when shooting/roing an open gun. The only problem (not really a problem), you have to turn the volume down or you get feedback with the muffs. I haven't used my ProEars since I got the plugs. I might switch back when it gets cold though :)

I just sent my ghost strikes back for a second time. This time they have me what I paid back for them towards the purchase of some of their better ones. I went from $400 to $1000, but if they are everything they advertise, I will be happy. The ghost strikes are not worth the price to me. The electronics screwed up twice on mine.

Wearing good muffs over internal plugs raises the protection ballpark 15 dB better than using very good plugs or muffs alone. That difference is actually huge for ear protection.

Unfortunately, it's closer to 3-4 db, maybe 5 db tops, but as you say, that can still be very important.

http://aearo.com/pdf/hearingcons/earlog13.pdf

http://www.audiologyonline.com/articles/extra-protection-wearing-earmuffs-and-1218

http://www.hearforever.org/tools-to-learn/sound-source-dual-protection

For the OP, there's only a certain amount of hearing protection possible. It's been posted here before, but even if I magically protected your ear so not a single sound wave touched them, you could still hear some things and still go deaf.

Ears are just an improved way of getting vibrations to small structures which communicate with the brain. Without ears, vibration still can get to those small structures, it just has to travel along bone instead of through the ear, which has evolved for the purpose.

So, depending on things like the composition & thickness of your skull & jawbone, some %age of the vibration will still get through, and if the initial signal was sufficiently powerful, that reduced %age might still do damage. You can read the above links or find your own. It's called "BC", or Bone Conductivity, and it's basically the NRR rating of your jaw / skull.

Even if you encased your entire head in protection, vibrations could travel up your spine. Etc, etc. Short of a protective bubble to live in, you're at risk. If you want the very best in protection, good foam plugs with quality ear muffs on top is about the best you can reasonably get, and after a certain point, spending lots of money will only get you more features, not necessarily better protection. Lastly, the slimmer muffs which work well with many rifles won't be the limiting factor....your skull will be.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use the Howard  Lleights with the gel cups and Surefire Sonic EP4 plugs outdoors 

indoors I have a set of David Clark’s with gel cups I have had since I was 14 and have rebuilt twice. My Grandfather got them for me and my brother back in the late 70s before folks were universally concerned about hearing protection