Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To those that use something other than Dillon - are you happy?

I find it hard to believe you would load 150.000 rounds on a press which has a stoppage every 100 rounds or more. I would have junked it a long time ago.

I also have a Lock 'n Load and I am perfectly happy with it, using a bullet feeder, no case feeder. (Case feeder isn't really needed) Today I went downstairs, put primers and powder in it and loaded 500 9mm rounds without any stoppages. And that's how it usually goes. The only thing breaking was the Dillon sizing die, apparently the E-clip on the sizing die breaks every couple of 1000 rounds :surprise:.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

150k rnds with stoppages every 100 rnds? That would be 1500 issues. Seems something massive would be wrong and a phone call to Hornady would be necessary. I would not have kept it.

I do have an LNL Ezject. Sure it has a learning curve and does require maintenance and cleaning once in a while. Spilled powder can cause primer feed problems and that is 90% of all issues but I don't think its excessive.

Believe it. I've been keeping track. I've had the thing for about 3 1/2 years. I've spent hours on the phone with Hornady. I've spent more hours watching youtube videos about making these work. (Did you ever wonder why there are hours and hours of youtube video about how to correct problems with this press?) I've applied many of the modifications and fixes that are suggested. I've had problems with just about every part. I've corrected most of them. Most of the time now its problems with the case feeder or the priming system. I know lots of people really like this press but there are many who can't get theirs to work the way it should. Trust me, its not always because they're mechanically inept. I think that sometimes its just a lemon. There are some facets of the design that just do not allow for the poor manufacturing execution I'm seeing. I probably should have returned it but I guess I'm stubborn. I'm determined to fix it so it works properly. (I do have a 650 on order btw.)

150k rnds with stoppages every 100 rnds? That would be 1500 issues. Seems something massive would be wrong and a phone call to Hornady would be necessary. I would not have kept it.

I do have an LNL Ezject. Sure it has a learning curve and does require maintenance and cleaning once in a while. Spilled powder can cause primer feed problems and that is 90% of all issues but I don't think its excessive.

Actually its worse than that. I only started keeping track a year or so ago but at that time it was averaging a stoppage every 17 rounds. Not all of those required actually taking it apart to clear. Its a lot better now. Sometimes I can get it to do 50 rounds before I have to stop. Maybe it just needed to be broken in :-)

So what have we learned from this thread? Can anyone truly be "happy" with anything other than a Dillon?

After exhaustively researching the BE forums I've found that "True Happiness" is only achieved by having at least one Dillon 1050 per caliber. (Two for each rifle caliber as you've got to process the brass).

Nirvana is achieved when each of your dedicated 1050's is chain driven with bullet feeders added on all loading presses. :)

Again, I've spent countless hours researching the Brian Enos technical forum and this is clearly what the research shows. Don't shoot the messenger...

Ah, the rotary drive guys would disagree...

The only presse I have never had an issue with, just don't do that much. If you take priming, powder charge, case feed, bullet feed, powder check and auto indexing shell plate off of them you are left with something that looks like a single stage. A ram you set a case on to move into and out of a single die is pretty fool proof, just really slow.

Edited by jmorris

I only have experience with the 650XL and the LNL AP. I like them both, each has its advantages. I chose the LNL AP, primarily because of the value. In my opinion, the 650XL didn't have enough advantage to warrant the much higher cost. At first, I was a little disappointed with the LNL AP, but I watched a few videos on youtube on how to properly set up your press... It made a huge difference. It runs so much smoother now.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used all models of Dillon presses. I currently own a Dillon SDB, Hornady LNL-AP, 3 Rock-Chuchers, 1 RCBS A-2 and , 1 RCBS Model A. Also, 2 MEC 9000's. I prefer the LNL over any Dillon press mainly due to the powder measure, primer system and, retainer spring. Other than initial set up adjustments, I have never had a problem with my LNL.

Yep. I'm using a Hornady LnL AP and it has worked pretty well for me. 9mm and .40S&W seem flawless so far. .45ACP doesn't work quite as well, but its not bad. Even with the recommended #45 shellplate sometimes (about 5% of the time) the rounds "snag" on ejection but you can just push the round when it snags and it pops out and you can keep going.

Since the vast majority of my loading is 9mm the little problem with .45 hasn't bothered me much.

I have a Lee single stage and a lee loadmaster. In 4800 reloads, there were 2 primers that were goofed by the system. The turret set screw loosened up. Other primer issues have been (ahem) operator induced. Typically running out of primers because it's so much fun making ammo.

Worst annoying problem is finding a 9mm in a .40 case and it hangs the case feeding. Pita!

It's not a fine tool, it came with carp instructions (thank goodness for youtube), overall lengths do bounce 5-8 thousanths, it takes some fiddly diddlie to keep it tuned. But it will typically make my runs of 500 without issue, provided I do a preflight check of 2-3 minutes. $225 bucks and ready to run. For my needs and at my skill level, it's really all I need. So, yes I am happy with it. Now, if somebody gives me a dillon 650...

Once I got my LnL adjusted correctly, it has been working perfectly. I have the bullet feeder and case feeder, no problems with either of those. I laugh at the Dillion cool-aid drinkers, especially when I google "Dillon 650 problems" and come up with endless folks who have a wide range of problems with those. I was going to get a Dillon but the powder spill issue with 9mm was what made me choose LnL. I'm very happy with my choice, plus a couple of hundred dollars more in my pocket.

I have to admit that my bench is all red, and none of it Hornady. I started off with a 25 dollar Lee single stage. Then I stepped up to a Lee 4 hole Turret with auto index. Last week I set up my new Lee Pro 1000.

Lots of people talk a lot of cheap on Lee Progressives and I think it scares a lot of people away. I set mine up and ran 1000 380s without a single malfunction. Not a single one. My second day using it I loaded 350 rounds in an hour and I wasn't trying to go fast.

It's truly a good press, especially for the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Running a Lee Turret (mostly for case prep stuff and some low volume rifle) and a Loadmaster.

Both run great for me. I did a couple of upgrades on the Loadmaster - inline fab roller handle and some CNC turrets w/ adjustable stops from Mike's Reloading Bench (get very consistent OALs with these - also has a hole to set a cheap mini LED flashlight that lights up the cases very well - like the free HF light).

Bought the Loadmaster initially just to test the progressive waters on the cheap, I'll probably get another one now when a good deal comes back up.

Yes, I'm happy with my LNL AP! I read a lot about this press and the Dillon XL650 and examined both before I bought the Hornady and after using it a few years I can say, the decision was right.

I load .357 Mag, .44-40, .45 Colt, .454 Casull and .45-70 without any problems.

Last year I've bought a case feeder, works flawlessly.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Dillon 550B and really like it but had the desire for a auto index (no desire for a case feeder or bullet feeder) so I bought the RCBS Pro 2000 auto index and couldn't be happier. Sure it cost more than the LnL AP but I like the APS primer loading system and the powder measure stays on the press when changing the die plates and easy to adjust. Again, as I stated above, I really like my 550B for a manual index press and would never part with it so its blue and green for me.

Dillon trolls crack me up...

If you are referring to me, I can assure you that I was NOT trolling. I was truly interested and considering other presses. I even came close to buying the Dillon 650 as it was recommended by most people. In the end I went with what I knew and because I had some conversions and other equipment that was specific to the 550. I did buy an RCBS Partner press for depriming 223 brass and to size cast bullets, However, I am not able to get shell holders in the ram, so don't know what the problem is. I also kind of accidentally bought a Rock Chucker Supreme when I bid on one and actually won it, not expecting to win. It is to be delivered probably tomorrow. I hope shell holders fit it as I am getting ready to cast bullets and will need to size them.

Dillon trolls crack me up...

If you are referring to me, I can assure you that I was NOT trolling. I was truly interested and considering other presses. I even came close to buying the Dillon 650 as it was recommended by most people. In the end I went with what I knew and because I had some conversions and other equipment that was specific to the 550. I did buy an RCBS Partner press for depriming 223 brass and to size cast bullets, However, I am not able to get shell holders in the ram, so don't know what the problem is. I also kind of accidentally bought a Rock Chucker Supreme when I bid on one and actually won it, not expecting to win. It is to be delivered probably tomorrow. I hope shell holders fit it as I am getting ready to cast bullets and will need to size them.

No sir. I was not referring to you.

That is odd about the Partner press ram. I "hate it" when I accidently buy stuff! Glad to hear that the Rock Chucker helped you and that RCBS is fixing the Partner for you.