Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP 01 Shadow Questions

zhunter

I'm going to get an SP 01 Shadow

My questions are:

I know the ACCU (with bushing) 2014 custom is the most accurate, but is it needed for USPSA?

Thoughts on the Bull Barrel version, how does it compare?

And then there is the non-bushing model with all the Custom upgrades minus the bushing

Obviously the ACCU is the most expensive, I'm wondering if the extra $350 is worth it?

I recently picked up a SP01 shadow target I can say the gun is very accurate I wouldn't imagine a huge difference but I am sure there is some difference. I would ask yourself do you have enough skill to take advantage of the added accuracy. Second is finding an accu model in stock.

Oak hill has both, the SP01 & SP01 ACCU. As Iceman said,that is a call for you to make. I think the accuracy comes into play at distance 20 + yards, head shots, tight shoots, steel etc. I know I really like the looks of the bushing on the Accu. If you are looking at getting other options, then Stuart is the man to talk to at CZ custom.

In a nutshell, I would say no. If it were a bullsye game, maybe a different story....to prove my point, many matches have been won just using the Sp01 shadow. Sure, the accu has a few more bells and whistles, but in the end, all you are doing is punching holes in big pieces of cardboard. Save the dough, use it for ammo/gear.

I've shot an SP01 for ~7 yrs in USPSA Production. More than accurate enough for any shooting those devious course designers put together. That said, I firmly believe more accurate is better. If my SP01 ever gives up the ghost, will probably go with ACCU version. P.S. After 60k rnds, the barrel is burned out. Replacing with stock SP01 barrel.

there is nothing wrong with a regular CZ SP01 shadow or even just SP01. both are good enough pistols that in the hands of a top shooter they wouldn't be holding him back.

there is no bull barrel version of the shadow.

there is only 2 versions and both use the exact same 'match barrel'. the difference is the accu shadow barrel is a little longer.

both accu and non accu have a bush. the difference is the accu has a very tight fitted bush which can be done because of the way that gun strips. the regualr shadow has a fixed in (pinned in) bush and cannot be as tight as the barrel must be removed through the slide.

I would suggest if you have the money, buy the accushadow. in the course of even a short time shooting USPSA the extra $350 will seem like nothing. all the other gear (timer, range bag, mags, ammo, reloading press, clothes, shoes, tools, etc etc) will make it seem a distant memory.

It's not 'needed' but there's no doubt it has a tighter fitted barrel which is a good thing to have. :)

there is only 2 versions and both use the exact same 'match barrel'. the difference is the accu shadow barrel is a little longer.

I thought CZC bought oversized blanks for the "match" barrel version, then fit them to the gun vs. the regular accu Shadow which uses the stock barrel?

I know CZC buys oversized blanks for the threaded extended barrels they sell, it would seem they're using the same blanks for this gun and not threading the barrels.

I thought CZC bought oversized blanks for the "match" barrel version, then fit them to the gun vs. the regular accu Shadow which uses the stock barrel?

I know CZC buys oversized blanks for the threaded extended barrels they sell, it would seem they're using the same blanks for this gun and not threading the barrels.

Factory barrel is used. The serial number on the barrel matches the slide and frame numbers, and has the proof marks

I doubt they are turning down barrels to fit the bush. it would be the other way around. my understanding is they use the standard barrel (actually I believe it's the aussie length barrel) and then fit the bush to the barrel. I imagine the barrels are made to a very small tolerance so in actual fact they probably don't 'fit' them at all. just have a predeterimined ID for the barrel bush and it'

s machined to a tight tolerance to fit nicely to the barrel. but if it is hand fitted it would be done by making a range of bushes in + or - the nominal size, mic up the barrel for a particular gun and chose the right bush with the correct fit that they want. like fitting bearings to a crankshaft etc. :)

Edited by BeerBaron

good choice. I think you'll be super happy with it.

unfortunately they are not IPSC legal. if they were I've no doubt I'd buy one as a replacement for my shadow orange.

let's put it this way. they are what? $600 over a regular shadow? in the scheme of things that's nothing. think how much we spend developing a nice load etc. if you can get some more repeatable accuracy for $600 I think it's worth it.

I used to hate the looks of it too thinking the bush was really ugly. but it's grown on me now. :)

now, if they make a accu tactical sport I'd get one of those!!!

You are a BAD MAN! Stu!!!

do I presume this is a coming product from CZC/CZ USA?

I think it would be a good seller. Plus unlike the accu shad which is really US market only (since it's an IPSC/USPSA production gun, but not legal in IPSC) the Accu Sport would be suitable in all regions shooting IPSC as a standard division gun.

The one you posted looks hot. Call it the Accu Sport. Or is that one a Accu CTS? I noticed cut back dust cover (I like!) and coffin cuts in the slide (also I like!!).

If they could be had here for reasonable money (say sub $2000 AUD) they would be popular for sure. Once you get much past $2K you run into the tanfoglio limited custom (here comes with cone barrel and coffin cut slide and drilled frame) and the STI Edge (around $2500 here).

We pay around $1600 AUD for a TS here so a price of around $2K for a Accu Sport shouldn't be tooo far from reality?

ahh, I noticed you offer basically all the shadows and TS's with the option of adding the accu bush. costs $350 on a new TS. Given you guys do a TS for $1200 , bush is $350 at $1550 USD there is a hope it could be sold here for around $2K. possibly even just under.

I know our CZ imported (PBA) has imported the odd CZC/CZ USA pistol for local guys... might have to have a chat with him.... :)