Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911/2011 Trigger jobs necessary?

Hey, gang. I'm just getting into comp shooting, so as you can imagine I've been reading a whole lot on these forums. I still have a bunch of questions though, even pretty basic ones.

For USPSA Production, I'm going with a CZ. For limited, however, I'm undecided. I guess I can keep it all in the family and run a CZ Tactical Sport in .40, but I'm also considering a Sti or Para 2011 style gun.

I know that the trigger on the CZ would need a good work over. But in general, do 1911/2011 style pistols also need custom trigger jobs to perform to their best potential? I've visited some custom shops like Dawson Precision and Brazos, but there's nothing that specifically mentions having to work on the trigger.

Also, for Limited Division, is the .40 s&w the most popular caliber? I've read that .45acp is a has less recoil and flatter trajectory.

I gratefully look forward to your opinions.

Every trigger needs to be worked to perform to it's mechanical best. Whether or not you need it to perform at your best is subjective and up for discussion. Typically a "factory" STI 2011 will come with a nice trigger and then can be tuned/improved upon to what you prefer.

Any custom gun will have already had a trigger job while assembling which is why there is not a huge amount of discussion on them. They are built to the owners preference are usually good to go.

If you don't have a preference on feel for now, I would just shoot and get used to whatever is in it unless it is aweful. If it's consistent you can make it work. Once you know what you like, you can start changing it if needed.

For limited division, I wouldn't even think about anything but .40. You can go .45 in single stack if you want another gun/caliber. Also if you are just starting, I wouldn't try two divisions at the beginning, use 1 gun and stick with it for a while. If you buy 2 right out of the chute I can almost guarantee you in a year you will have 2 more different guns. (not that it's bad if you can afford it)

The triggers usually need work. If you buy the hp edge from brazos he sets them close to 3 lbs and cleans up the slop. I have shot 1911's with and without trigger jobs and would go with one that has had the work done already.

40 is more popular because you give up mag capacity with the .45

I think it depends on how the trigger feels out of the box and how discerning you are. I know shooters that insist on having a trigger job to make the trigger crisper and lighter because that is what they are accustomed to. I know other shooters who are satisfied with their stock triggers. I say shoot the gun for a while and then decide if the trigger pull is what is keeping you from shooting your best. I want reliability and a quick reset over an uber light weight trigger.

As for the caliber, yeah .40SW is prefered by most in Limited shooters since it is the minimum caliber that you can be scored major PF and still maximize the capacity of a 140mm magazine.

I think it depends on how the trigger feels out of the box and how discerning you are. I know shooters that insist on having a trigger job to make the trigger crisper and lighter because that is what they are accustomed to. I know other shooters who are satisfied with their stock triggers. I say shoot the gun for a while and then decide if the trigger pull is what is keeping you from shooting your best. I want reliability and a quick reset over an uber light weight trigger.

As for the caliber, yeah .40SW is prefered by most in Limited shooters since it is the minimum caliber that you can be scored major PF and still maximize the capacity of a 140mm magazine.

^^ What he said. Also, if you can afford it I don't see any reason not to. Having a great trigger is more of an "advantage" is how I look at it. :cheers:

Edited by Kratos

I did not know any better when I first started shooting USPSA. Then a friend tuned my trigger on my STI. Made a world of difference.

Then Don Golembieski built me a pistol -- probably a 2.5 lb trigger. I said I did not want anything lighter because of was afraid of an accidental discharge.

After a few more guns and trigger jobs--all my guns are less than 2 lbs is great.

I did not know any better when I first started shooting USPSA. Then a friend tuned my trigger on my STI. Made a world of difference.

Then Don Golembieski built me a pistol -- probably a 2.5 lb trigger. I said I did not want anything lighter because of was afraid of an accidental discharge.

After a few more guns and trigger jobs--all my guns are less than 2 lbs is great.

My STI is 1.75 #. took a little getting used to it, but now the weight no longer concerns me. sometimes i feel i can even go lighter.

Edited by Sandbagger123

My CZ TS was 1lb 12 Oz out of the box.

It's 1lb 8oz now. It really shouldn't need any work.

Wow, that's a fearfully light trigger.

I just have to tell people who are trying it out that they had better mean it before putting their finger on the trigger. You get use to it all too quickly.

Edited by alma

I shoot a 1911 in single stack and CZ in production and limited. At least for me, it is sometimes a challenge to get used to 1911s after shooting CZs a lot.

My 1911s and TS are factory triggers, and are plenty crisp for competition. However, having a little less take up in my 1911 triggers would be an improvement. And, as already mentioned, the TS trigger is pretty awesome right out of the box. Whatever you get, if you are the kind who likes to tinker and tweak, you will have the option to play with the trigger.

+1 for sticking with a single platform when starting out.

Edited by JayDee