Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

competition magazine change, how best to release the slide

wanttolearn

trying to learn good technique.

when doing a mag change i bring the pistol up in to my working space, see the mag insert into the well and make sure its set in place as i role the support hand up the grip.

on my pistol the slide locks back after the last round.

the challenge then becomes how best to release the slide. to slingshot the slide i have to pivot the pistol back up and move both hands up from the grip to the slide and then back down to the grip for a two hand hold. otherwise i can move my finger up to the slide release....

wondering what most prefer

I like my gun to slide lock, I reckon it helps in the "problem solving" department when running a course. But I too prefer to reload before slide lock. But when it does happen I'll just use my strong hand thumb.

Best is obviously not to lock the slide back. Reacting to the slide locking back to signal a reload will always be slower than actively planning a reload before running out of ammo.

If it does lock back, as dansedgli says - weak hand thumb as you re-acquire the grip.

Guy

Most slide releases are in the reach of your strong hand thumb. Use that. Its all about conservation of motion. Not to pigeonhole Glock shooters but I see a very large percentage of them sling shot the slide. I don't understand this in a match, it takes a lot longer to move your off hand up to release the slide and then regrip your firearm. If you use your strong hand thumb you can release your slide as your weak hand acquires your grip. Seems simple.

when doing a mag change i bring the pistol up in to my working space, see the mag insert into the well and make sure its set in place as i role the support hand up the grip.

the challenge then becomes how best to release the slide. to slingshot the slide i have to pivot the pistol back up and move both hands up from the grip to the slide and then back down to the grip for a two hand hold. otherwise i can move my finger up to the slide release....

Whatever you do please just use your slide release rather than racking back the slide. For some reason a bunch of the Tactical Timmys have decided that you need to rack the slide instead of using the release but if introduces an additional motion that is much slower than using the slide stop and can introduce a malfunction if you follow the slide forward with your hand thereby reducing the effectiveness of the recoil spring in getting the gun back into battery. I user may strong hand thumb but weak hand thumb is also a good option if you can't reach with the other one. Slide lock reloads are just as fast for me as my standard reload.

http://youtu.be/nC-HM2UqP4Q

You don't mention what game you're playing (IDPA, USPSA, ???) and what gun you're using. I shoot a lot of IDPA and UPSA as well as 3-gun so I've seen lots of people do it differnt ways.

If you're shooting USPSA, learn to count and don't let you slide lock back, it will be faster in every case no matter what gun you shoot.

If IDPA is yor game, 99% of your relads will be slide lock. If you're shooting a game gun (something with a large and easy to use slide release) - USE YOUR THUMB! Stron or weak had thumbs both work and best may depend you your gun / grip. But as previously stated a firm mag insert will often auto release your slide. If you are shooting a small compact / carry style gun with a small hard to activate slide release you may be faster slingshooting the slide.

Alma is correct. The fastest way to reload from slide lock is to use your strong hand thumb. Don't believe? Get someone to time you every way you want to do it ... The timer doesn't lie ...

Of course the best way is to stage plan better so you don't have to be doing slide lock reloads but that's a different conversation ...

just starting out...perhaps uspsa i guess. I shoot a 1911.

will work on these exercises. i really appreciate the insight and info

For shooting a 19 11th it is more important to have a functional slide release since your magazine capacity will limit your options for reloading. As stated above some limited and open shooters will disable to eliminate possible slide stop related malfunctions and then plan reloads to avoid empty chambers. It's not something that is as easy to do in Production, Single Stack, or IDPA where I consider slide lock reloads a necessary evil.

the challenge then becomes how best to release the slide.

Personally, I use the slide release which they conveniently included in the design for that specific purpose.

Glocks have flat slippery slide release, so that is probably why you see the sling shot method with people who shoot Glocks. They do have the extended slide release, but they tend to lock the slide back at inopportune times. Sling shot release will work ALL the time, whether you are at slide lock or empty chamber with the slide closed. Yes, it may be quicker to use the slide release, but it's not that much quicker...and if you are at slide lock, the extra time you use to sling shot the slide won't matter anyway.

That being said, I use the sling shot method on Glocks, obviously. And I use the weak hand thumb on my 2011 - because my strong hand thumb doesn't reach. And sometimes i will use the sling shot on the 2011 due to muscle memory, but I don't let it bother me when I do use this method.