Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 or 17 for competition

Fireguy116

I am old with poor vision and shakey hands. Inside 15 yards where I can actually see what I am shooting I shoot a G17 as well as any other Glock.

At 25 yards I shoot slightly better groups with a G34 than I do with a G17 and slightly better groups with a G17 than a G19.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Glock 17 has a sight radius of 6.49 inches

A Glock 34 has a sight radius of 7.55 inches

If you're shooting perfect sight pictures then sight radius doesn't matter, the mechanical accuracy potential of the gun will decide your group size

However unless you are shooting from a ransom rest, then you're not shooting perfect sight pictures, certainly none of us in the action sports are taking the time to get truly perfect sight pictures

If there is any error in your sight picture when the shot breaks then that error is repeated every time the bullet travels the length of your sight radius

When you're shooting IMPERFECT sight pictures, which we always are, the gun with the longer sight radius will reduce your error

Its not a benefit that you can actively use, but its passively there all the time quietly helping

Part of being a good shooter in this game is learning how much refinement in your sights and trigger to get the hits you need for your apparent target size with your gun and sights.

there are probably too many confounding variables to make this kind of direct comparison which is why I think the concept is probably a better argument

And thats exactly why the G34's possible accuracy bump as the shooter's eye is concerned is simply a concept and not tangible,which is what I've been saying the whole time.

Edited by theblacknight

If you don't think sight radius is important enough to shoot a G34 over a G17 then OK, I'm not here to say it is. But don't pretend the advantage of longer sight radius is not real.

I just explained it and showed the difference that a small potential error has when applied through both options, with easy examples of downrange impacts that happen all the time.

There is alot more to shooting than sight radius but in this regard, directly comparing one to the other, longer is better. If you don't like it, take it up with Math, I didn't make the rules. :)

You math is simply contextual.

But don't pretend the advantage of longer sight radius is not real.

No one has said that but you.

What I've been saying the whole time, and what you fail to understand, is that regardless of what everyone knows about the general principle of sight radius, in the case of the G34 and the G17, a enhanced applied accuracy is not a tangible benefit.

If you had such in your corner, you could actually show us all. I'm actually waiting for such as it would be cool.

If a shooter blames his G17 for a D hit and says" If I only had a g34!" what he should really be saying is" maybe I should learn what kind of sight picture I need with my gun and my sights".

I know, why blame your skills when you can blame the gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOJyVpvEJww&list=UUpvB2hC2A7prWhLlz6Tfafw

Longer sight radius does not make the gun more accurate. Longer sight radius will make it easier to be more accurate. Especially at high speed shooting like USPSA.

If it made no difference I would think top guys like bob vogel would use the g17 or the 22. He uses the 6" barrel glock (g24) in limited and the 5" for IDPA and production (g34).

Not sure what the ben stoeger video represents in regards to sight radius.....

Edited by 3djedi

Longer sight radius does not make the gun more accurate. Longer sight radius will make it easier to be more accurate. Especially at high speed shooting like USPSA.

If it made no difference I would think top guys like bob vogel would use the g17 or the 22. He uses the 6" barrel glock (g24) in limited and the 5" for IDPA and production (g34).

Not sure what the ben stoeger video represents in regards to sight radius.....

Dont forget, he used the G17 to win the last WS PD. There is no G34 in IPSC (it doesn't fit the box). Believe or not G17 has a longer sight radius than a Stock 2.

There is no G34 in IPSC (it doesn't fit the box).

???

My mistake, it will fit the box, but it is longer than 127mm barrel.

13. Can we use Glock models 34 and 35 in Production Division?

Glock in their own advertising call them "long slides". They are special sporting handguns with a lighter trigger pull (3.5 lbs) and a longer barrel (135mm) out of the box. Maximum barrel length in Production Division is 127 mm (5").

The Production Division does not include special sporting models like the Glock 34 and 35, or the H&K USP Expert, or the Sig Sauer Sport II series if they differ in barrel length from the standard model (Glock 17, Sig Sauer 226, H&K USP).

"Production" does not necessarily mean that all pistols which are currently in production are legal for use in this division.

There is nothing a 17 does better than a 34.

- Draw is faster

- Get on target quicker with smaller sight radius

YEP !!!

I cannot draw the G17 any faster the the G34. Im 6'3 with long arms and the extra .9oz and the little extra weight does not seem to matter. The shorter sight radius does not get on target any faster the a longer sight radius.

If is was a little man the 17 may be a advantage.

I loaded up both a 17 and 34 with aftermarket sights, rods, springs, and triggers. Accuracy was not noticeably different for me except on quick follow ups / double taps. With the reduced spring weight and heavy extended guide rod I got the 34 shooting very soft/flat so follow ups were faster.

Really dude? I'm talking about tangible benefits here. A longer barrel objectively get's you more velocity. Soo using a G34 means your loads to gain a certain PF will be less.

If comparing factory guns

More velocity

Reduced error in sights

Lighter trigger

Extended mag release

Extended slide lock lever

Being that everyone modifies their guns

More velocity

Reduced error in sights

For those that don't believe in reduced error in sights

More velocty

We're all on the same page, can someone please say something horrible to get this thread locked?

If comparing factory guns

More velocity

Reduced error in sights

Lighter trigger

Extended mag release

Extended slide lock lever

Being that everyone modifies their guns

More velocity

Reduced error in sights

For those that don't believe in reduced error in sights

More velocty

We're all on the same page, can someone please say something horrible to get this thread locked?

+1

Ford, Chevy, Dodge,..bla bla bla.. Someone out there is better with their choice than you are with yours (or will be).

Pick one and shoot it, shoot it some more,.. Rinse and repeate till you dont improve.

Any quality gun has the potential to be faster and more accurate than the lump pulling the trigger, some just fit better and bring out more potential in certian individuals. But you have to commit to it and be honest with your limmitations and needs to truly know.

Kind if like dating

If you dont like it,.. Sell it or safe it and get another untill ur happy. (Again like dating)

Shoot well and safe

There is nothing a 17 does better than a 34.

- Draw is faster

- Get on target quicker with smaller sight radius

YEP !!!

I cannot draw the G17 any faster the the G34. Im 6'3 with long arms and the extra .9oz and the little extra weight does not seem to matter. The shorter sight radius does not get on target any faster the a longer sight radius.

If is was a little man the 17 may be a advantage.

I'm 5'6" does the count? lol