Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WHY SMITH AND WESSON WHY SSR .....

tiger49931

Man i have been waiting for 6 months for my 686ssr to arrive, So i walk into my local gun shop and there is a brand new S&W model 66 Combat magnum. Oh my heart a flutter i love the look and everything about it k frame capable of magnum loads, and just the kinda thing im looking for for my ssr gun . so i grab it and gave it a new home went to the range man same hole accuracy from a rest at 20 yards. im really liking this revolver. BUT WAIT ITS NOT IDPA LEGAL.... The barrel is advertised at 4.25 " that's .05 to much DREAMS SHATTERED .. Why would Smith and Wesson who are really active in sponsoring this sport make such a grievous mistake? Barrel must be 4.20 and no longer do they just want their 686 to be used in this sport as the flag ship model or what? Why not make it like the old 66's and go with a 4 inch barrel? man so disguisted mostly with my self for not checkin the rules but rules are rules so now i have an awesome carry gun that i will never carry and cant use it for the percieved purpose of being my idps ssr gun . Maybe it will be my ppc gun we will have to see.

Does it actually measure 4.25 from the front of the cylinder?

Here's the rule clarification...

"Rule 8.2.5.1.4. Barrel length of 4.2” or less (as measured from the front of the cylinder).

Question: This rule removes the current production S&W 686 and Ruger GP-100 4.2" guns from
competition as both companies measure from the forcing cone to the end of the barrel. The GP 100 barrel
measured from the forcing cone is 4.2", from the cylinder 4.212".
Answer: Starting with this clarification of 2014-02-16, IDPA will measure revolver barrels from the forcing
cone to the end of the barrel."

If S&W specs list the gun as a 4.25-inch barrel the 'Powers That Be' in Berryville will rule it illegal. Whether .05 inch of barrel is a significant factor in IDPA's fear of GAMERS is a debatable point. Since S&W seems to be a significant Sponsor of this "for profit" IDPA organization I would suspect that an official Rules Clarification might be forthcoming... although maybe not.

The Rule making process at IDPA does seem somewhat strange.

Might ask hq what the dimensional tolerance is. For example, the IDPA box size tolerance is -0 + 1/16".

Else 8.2.5.2.7 gets you legally in the game with a re-crown as noted above. I payed either $40 or $50 to get a 2011 re-crowned last year so I'm guessing you could do it to a wheel gun without mortgaging the farm.

The problem with re-crowning the barrel to shorten it is that someone still has to measure it. Are those tools available? Does the 'measurer" know how to use them? Or, do they just say "S&W specs are... and your gun doesn't make it."

That's the problem with IDPA officiating. Expertise and consistency is lacking, and rulings can be somewhat 'individual'. That's the problem I have with spending the entry fee, travel expense, motel & meals on the road expenses to attend a Sanctioned Match. That's a lot of money to spend when one ill-informed, personal opinion, ruling from a SO can trash your day.

Just ask your LGS to measure the barrel with a set of calipers. The barrel may be 4.2 or less.

Exactly! If a MD or a match "check-station" is going to claim your gun doesn't meet the proper specs, they'd better be able to prove it. It's no different than gun weight or fitting in "the box". There ARE ways to measure barrels quickly and easily.

it measures from the front of the cylinder to the front of barrel and you measure from inside of the barrel. just run the gun as is. Its up to IDPA to measure the gun and they will only do it at a major match. you can swap a barrel if need be. nobody has a S&W parts# book and all the dimensions, not even S&W know what is out their, much less the people at Arkansas who try and make rules and tell use what type of guns we carry in the real work. (I carry a 627 with a 3" barrel in real life, but IDPA says I can't carry a real world carry gun for there matches) most of the tech inspections are done by people that marginally know how a semi auto functions and what to look for when inspecting them, much less a revo.

Edited by JohnRodriguez

The new 66's are supposed to have a 2 piece barrel so if they do, all this talk about just recrowning or shortening the barrel gets a lot more complicated. One of the things that I have learned about IDPA over the years is as soon as you modify your gear to meet the rules they will just change them again. The rule changes for revolver gear over the years has wrecked the divisions and caused a lot of needless expenses.

it measures from the front of the cylinder to the front of barrel and you measure from inside of the barrel. just run the gun as is. Its up to IDPA to measure the gun and they will only do it at a major match. you can swap a barrel if need be. nobody has a S&W parts# book and all the dimensions, not even S&W know what is out their, much less the people at Arkansas who try and make rules and tell use what type of guns we carry in the real work. (I carry a 627 with a 3" barrel in real life, but IDPA says I can't carry a real world carry gun for there matches) most of the tech inspections are done by people that marginally know how a semi auto functions and what to look for when inspecting them, much less a revo.

Sure you can use you 627 in IDPA.

SSR with speedloaders only and 105 PF or better - rule 8.2.5.1.6

ESR with moonclips or speedloaders and 165PF - rule 8.2.4.1.6

Go forth and play.

I would just take it and shoot it. Who knows if that's the actual length or if it's just the measurement someone came up with and they slapped it on the site? I strongly, strongly, strongly doubt anyone is going to notice 5 thousandths of an inch of barrel length. Revolvers don't have to fit in the box.

A 627 in IDPA is a terrible idea. You'll always have to reload with retention or have to deal with partially loaded moonclips. It's not a viable choice, don't waste your time.

ya wasnt to worried about the powers that be but more another competitor losing to me and turning me in with a gun that's advertised as being just a hair to big. But i get the whole up to them to prove it .

I strongly, strongly, strongly doubt anyone is going to notice 5 thousandths of an inch of barrel length. Revolvers don't have to fit in the box.

That would be 50 thousandths 1/20 of an inch. But I doubt anyone would know what they are looking at. At one recent sanctioned match the SSR guys went through the equipment checks with speed loaders right out front almost the middle of their belly. Jerry has always wore a moon clip loader way out front. No body seems to be able to read the simple rules so forget about the hard ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Why not first measure the gun's barrel from the face of the forcing cone to the end of the barrel. You might be worrying about nothing. I just bought a 14" 988 made 686 that has a 4.17" barrel which a) makes it legal ion Canada and also perfect for IDPA. Quality being what it is today I would not be surprised if the barrel is 4.2".

Take Care

Bob

ps It is odd S&W went with a 4.25" barrel when they already make the 686 with a 4.2". Maybe it is as someone already mentioned Smith wants the 686 to be the IDPA Competition gun to compete with Ruger's GP-100. The new Smith 686 are no better than the GP-100 and the latter sells for $200 less than the Smith's up here.

well the 66 is gone to a good home and the 686 ssr is in at the dealer so there ya go smith and wesson problem solved ill pigeon hole myself into the gun of your choice :P / JK but also found a 627 PC 5" so i got a 2fer deal hahahaha