9mm Major primers falling/burned!

DrLove

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Primers falling out means the casehead expanded and it has nothing to do with the firing pin or soft primers.

Old, pre-"dot FC dot" brass is soft. Use newer FC or Win brass as it is hader and stands up better to pressure.

You do realize you're running close to 50,000 PSI, don't you?

May I ask how do figure over 50,000 psi?

Guys, thanks again for the advice everyone it’s great.

However, here’s what I think I’ll be doing. I’ll try to fit a 38SC barrel to this gun. This way I can shoot 38 in matches/important events, and maybe train with 9mm.

In general, here’s my finding about this. People might like 9mm because of the availability of brass. But there is a reason a lot of top shooters are still shooting 38s or sc. With 9mm you have to worry about so many variables and there is a huge amount of trial and error involved. This time is obviously time not spent on other stuff like training (or even just family time). with 38 super on the other hand, you just load and shoot. I think this is worth the extra cost of brass, period.

BTW, this same conclusion I came too was told to me by Brandon at SV a couple of years ago. I wish I just listened to him.

I've built half a dozen 9 major guns on the CZ75 platform and never experienced anything like this, totally bizzare.

If I were you the first thing I would is try a stock firing pin/spring.

ETA: I use FED SPP for my regular 9 major load which is 9.3gr of SP2 (I've gone to 10.0 with no issues), so I don't think it's a primer issue.

Edited by kneelingatlas

I've built half a dozen 9 major guns on the CZ75 platform and never experienced anything like this, totally bizzare.

If I were you the first thing I would is try a stock firing pin/spring.

I don't want to "try" and "try" and "try". I just want to shoot guys. That's going to be my logic with anything I do with open after that.

I think I would back way off the powder to around 7.5 or so if you use magnum primers the cup is the thickest like rifel primers. Then run it back up checking the load with the chrono. Many times I have seen more powder make pressure not make more power in FPS.

If all you want to do is shoot I suggest a G34 in Production :)

My thinking too.

Yep, Glocks are like hammers. You just pick it up and use it. No fuss no worries and NO FUN compared to an air nailer or an Open gun!

Dr Love has made up his mind so let's leave him to it. Some guys just want to shoot and not deal with the hassle of paying strict attention to details when loading ammo. Until my Open gun literally broke I never had a problem with it. There is no voodoo involved in 9MAJOR like many like to suggest. I just load them up and shoot.

Im sure he is frustrated. A Limcat is no joke when it come to $$. I think that's where the I just wana shoot comes from. Best of luck still bro. He will be back, they all come back. Wicked laugh lol

Im sure he is frustrated. A Limcat is no joke when it come to $$. I think that's where the I just wana shoot comes from. Best of luck still bro. He will be back, they all come back. Wicked laugh lol

first, of course I'm frustrated. It's a lot of $$$ to spend then go to a match and during a stage you have a malfunction where you're slide won't even rack because the primer blew away and the case it stuck in the chamber. You have to force rack the slide just to clear the malfunction.

Now I still really don't know what the argument is about. Are you guys trying to say that loading 9major is the same as loading 38super? If so, don't argue with me, I'm just a newbie. Go argue with someone like Brandon at SV or the Brazos guys who also recommend you build 38super open race guns because that is the caliber of choice for that specific job!

first, of course I'm frustrated. It's a lot of $$$ to spend then go to a match and during a stage you have a malfunction where you're slide won't even rack because the primer blew away and the case it stuck in the chamber. You have to force rack the slide just to clear the malfunction.

Now I still really don't know what the argument is about. Are you guys trying to say that loading 9major is the same as loading 38super? If so, don't argue with me, I'm just a newbie. Go argue with someone like Brandon at SV or the Brazos guys who also recommend you build 38super open race guns because that is the caliber of choice for that specific job!

We really should not argue at ll. Shoot what you want brother. I do! For sure I think you should get a 38 barrel fitted and keep the 9 as well. This way you can tinker with it until someday the light pops on and taadaa, you get 9major figured out. :cheers:

chill, everyone here was trying to help. Go get a .38 barrel. Hell I got 9mm to fit my SC. Get In touch with Jonny I'm sure he will fit you a barrel or whatever your dollar wants? frustrated, you should find whoever is guilty and take it out on them. Oh thats you. Good luck

One more question haw many popple hole in your limcat?

Edited by a matt

chill, everyone here was trying to help. Go get a .38 barrel. Hell I got 9mm to fit my SC. Get In touch with Jonny I'm sure he will fit you a barrel or whatever your dollar wants? frustrated, you should find whoever is guilty and take it out on them. Oh thats you. Good luck

One more question haw many popple hole in your limcat?

it's cool guys, I just wanted to highlight the fact that I'm not the only person who thinks that 38 super is easier to load than 9m. Anyway, I hope no one misunderstood my frustration. Of course I appreciate all your help :) cheers!!

Dr. Love, since you have some of those cases, measure them at the mouth and base and see what they are.

I don't know what's going on here since lots of this does not make sense. That load, with that powder and the resulting power factor should be fine pressure-wise. But clearly something is amiss. Though it might not be easy to figure out where the problem lies.

Excess pressure signs usually result from excess pressure. But there are a couple of exceptions. Pierced primers can also be produced by a rough/damaged firing pin. If you've had a few pierced primers, the escaping gas can erode the tip of the firing pin. This damaged tip will now itself produce pierced primers. It would be worth looking at the tip of your firing pin under a magnifying glass. If it isn't perfectly smooth, that might explain some of the pierced primers.

I recently had an unusual situation, not unlike this. I was running 9 Major through a 9mm barrel with AutoComp and CFE Pistol - which both produce higher pressure than 3N38 (all else being equal). I had some failures to extract, so I figured it was just extractor tension. But then I swapped barrels and ran 38 SC with no extraction problems. Since the 38 SC has a narrower rim than 9mm, extractor tension was not the problem.

Going back to the 9mm barrel, I then experienced more failures to extract. One was stuck. I had to pound it out. It required serious pounding! This is a clue! I tried some lower pressure rounds and still had extraction issues.

I had saved many of the FTE cases and measured them later. They were really expanded. They measured .390" at the case mouth!! That's wider than the chamber should be at the mouth. I compared this with another 9mm barrel, including running the Major ammo through the other barrel without problems. The cases from the "good" barrel measured within typical, expected diameters.

The "bad" barrel had been used for years, mostly normal pressure loads with no problems at all. Did it suddenly go bad? Did the chamber expand? Was it always like this and only started showing problems with excess pressure loads? Inspecting the barrel showed no cracks or anything unusual. Was it just some bad brass? Not sure since much of it has a mixed or unknown history. I don't have answers for any of those questions.

A lot of unknowns here, but the diameters of the extracted cases indicate that the chamber is out of spec. At this point I'm blaming the barrel's chamber for the failures to extract, and I've retired it. Since it won't reliably extract even normal pressure 9mm ammo, it is probably at fault. If, by some chamnce, the chamber is actually expanding (doubtful but not impossible) it might be approaching failure. Either way, it's better to play it safe.

So, Dr. Love, some odd stuff happens. Check the measurements from your brass to see if it is within specs. I'm not saying that your problem is like mine, but it is something else to check. Maybe you just need a different 9mm barrel. On the other hand, 38 Super is certainly more friendly to Major power factor ammo since it runs at lower pressure (all else being equal), and if you decide to go that way, it's a good choice.

On the other hand, 38 Super is certainly more friendly to Major power factor ammo since it runs at lower pressure (all else being equal), and if you decide to go that way, it's a good choice.

That's exactly what I"m going after indeed. I will keep the 9 barrel but don't have the time to mess with it these days. Just too much other stuff going on to add this to it :)

What was the previous owners load?

similar not exact and he never had issues (he's a member here). Problem is with me, I don't know how to reload 9major. I just don't have the time for the experiments and finding the correct components is just much harder. I do have all the 38super components though and know exactly what to do. This is my logic here.

I was using two loads, both with MG 124gr JHP bullets - 7.0gr of WAC or 8.2gr of HS-6, PF of 169 to 176 from that gun. Always shot HS-6 in matches. Never experienced anything even close to this, all I had was some stovepipes, and after a trip to the factory it was gone. I only use Federal brass in matches, but anything I can find in practice.

I was using two loads, both with MG 124gr JHP bullets - 7.0gr of WAC or 8.2gr of HS-6, PF of 169 to 176 from that gun. Always shot HS-6 in matches. Never experienced anything even close to this, all I had was some stovepipes, and after a trip to the factory it was gone. I only use Federal brass in matches, but anything I can find in practice.

It's not the gun Victor, like I said at the top of the thread, I reproduced this problem with another 9major gun I have. It's the load, I just don't know how to load 9major, period!