Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Belt for 3 Gun

I absolutely hate the Safariland belt and have issued to DQs due to them coming apart, and seen 3 other times that were scary. A good belt works and should be foolproof, so operator error or not, not a good system. Why I have ELS mounts on a CR Speed Belt.

Now I'm curious, coming apart how?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The studs pop out of the retainer holes and the keeper is not strong enough to keep them bound up. Had a top level competitor loose his belt while he was shooting shotgun, managed to hang/hold it until he could dump the shotgun, but it sure slowed him down a good measure.

Belt hits ground and pistol comes out of holster...not good.

Hmm. It sounds to me that a stronger keeper might be the answer. I don't see the ELS belt being any different then CRspeed or others from that point of view, but I guess if it is happening that it is happening. I may just add some extra keepers to mine.

" I don't get around as much as you do"

You make me seem cheap and easy Vlad, I prefer gregarious and maybe even overly friendly. Just cause I got lots of "friends" doesn't mean I get around!..... But if I did "get around" I'm sure I would know lots about belts ;)....especially the ones that come off all on their own :)

Not interested in Safariland's ELS because I don't move my gear around.

I've used a Double Alpha belt for a couple years, but it's too stiff for my liking after going to a Blade-Tech belt.

I really have liked the Blade-Tech belt, but it has only lasted one season, the velcro is worn out and inner and outers don't stick together well any more. Thinking about it, maybe it's only the inner belt that's worn out....

Any better options than the Blade-Tech?

I keep all of my gear in the same place but being able to detach it and leave it in the bag if not needed on particular stages is wonderful. Those 3 Gun belts can get pretty heavy and awkward. When I am not shooting I leave almost everything off my belt including detaching my pistol if the rules allow.

ELS works alright but Blade Tech TMMS are nice too. I actually have my pistol on a TMMS but screwed right into an ELS. The ELS belt is pretty limp compared to something like a DAA but I do like being able to screw things directly onto the belt instead of having to use a TechLoc or similar. I think you can be very happy and competitive with Safariland or DAA/CR Speed/BladeTech. Whatever you do though you should consider some type of quick release for your gear.

My TMMS lasted one season before they had no more "retention". I sent them in to BT for review, never heard a word back. I was worried someone was going to complain about me loading my shotgun out of a caddy held in my mouth...

I do get around a lot :surprise: , and I have never seen an ELS belt (or any other Safariland belt system) come undone during a stage - I don't even recall ever seeing an accessory clip come undone. I am sure it has happened but, with the match activity in my neck of the woods, I would have expected to see it happen a lot more if it were a systemic weakness. I always run mine tight (God blessed me with a body that makes all my pants and belts tight) and my ELS always feels very secure.

I have seen the CR Speed belts come undone a few times, presumably due to aging velcro, so that is not a system I trust so much, although a lot of folks swear by it.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

You make me seem cheap and easy Vlad, I prefer gregarious and maybe even overly friendly. Just cause I got lots of "friends" doesn't mean I get around!..... But if I did "get around" I'm sure I would know lots about belts ;)....especially the ones that come off all on their own :)

LOL, way to make this a doodie thread, Kurt :)

On a serious note, when you guys have seen the ELS belts fail, did the studs just rip out of the part they are permanently attached to, or did the the non permanent side just slide off the studs when the keeper failed (or the keeper failed after)? Could you guys tell? I kinda like the ELS setup and hasn't failed me yet, but you have seen an issue then I want to know where to add keepers :).

The holes in the belt get enlarged so the studs don't stay in the holes as well.

Gotcha. thanx.

Simplest solution would be lose or gain weight then. I'm on it.

A Doodie thread??? Did I use profanity or insult anyone? Have I spoken nothing but the truth? But I digress, any belt that doesn't firmly buckle on is going to come off some how some time! Take your ELS belt and add a real buckle, now you have a good belt! Cant speak for easy on off clips as just like the belt somehow, someway its going to come off. D.Q.!!!

I'm going to try the DSG belt from Shooter's Source. I like the idea of a buckle over just velcro overlap.

As far as detachable gear- I do use teck loks on my shotshell caddies and mag carriers. But my holster has a belt loop. I'd feel naked without my gun and holster.

I'm going to try the DSG belt from Shooter's Source. I like the idea of a buckle over just velcro overlap.

As far as detachable gear- I do use teck loks on my shotshell caddies and mag carriers. But my holster has a belt loop. I'd feel naked without my gun and holster.

You can still use teck loks, just add a TMMS as the next layer.

Bryan, go with a 2 inch belt from Blackhawk or the like. If you use the DSG, the material will not fill the width of the tek lok and they will wobble around. Blackhawk belt, under 30 dollars, you will appreciate the rigidity. This belt style will hold weight better. Trust a guy who wears a heavy belt every day

Jay

I've got an ELS rig which has been my primary multigun belt setup and have been happy with it, but this is my first year running it, so I'll have to see after running it for a few more matches. I had always used a CR Speed belt and still do for USPSA pistol - I've been very happy with that too.

Trapr & Kurt, I look forward to shooting on squad 1 with you at Nordic this weekend!

-Reub

Bryan, go with a 2 inch belt from Blackhawk or the like. If you use the DSG, the material will not fill the width of the tek lok and they will wobble around. Blackhawk belt, under 30 dollars, you will appreciate the rigidity. This belt style will hold weight better. Trust a guy who wears a heavy belt every day

Jay

Jay, I know based on your experience you probably put more thought into comfort than most of us.

The width on the tek loks is not a problem w/ the spacers that come with them. I've been using them on my old Blade-Tech belt and they stay put. I'd really like to get away from needing any kind of belt keepers. I have a bad habit of losing them....