Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help on excessive dot movement

nexus

You might not be making enough gas. I don't use Vhit powders but 165 pf is right at the edge of pf for major. Remember, just a few short years ago the PF was 175.

I'd try a different powder or bump my current load to 172-173 pf using the Vhit powder. Ymmv.

Also, how is your grip?

First thought is to be sure your support hand is locked forward. Well, actually my first thought is that as I recall 340 is a pretty darn quick powder so may not be the best choice for a comped pistol. I could be wrong on that though. In any event this is a nice vid by Jerry. I would start about 9:20 for grip.

The low hanging fruit would be to tune/verify the following to help the gun work as a system:

1. mainspring - around 17 lbs to 19 lbs seems to be the sweet spot for reliable ignition and trigger feel.

2. recoil spring - 8 to 10 pounds is pretty typical. Be sure the recoil spring isn't fully compressing and going solid before the slide travels fully to the rear (coil bind). I put a fresh recoil spring in an open gun a while back without checking for coil bind and the dot got pretty squirrely. Checked for coil bind and found that the spring was going solid about 1/16" before the slide reached the end of its travel (I use a shock-buff). Cut off 2-3 coils to eliminate the coil bind and it totally changed the dot tracking back to it's predictable sweet old self.

3. Firing pin stop radius - If you have a squared stop might want to try putting a radius on it. I've tried the square stop and thought it made the dot tracking erratic.

4. Load development - Maybe try a couple different powders before giving up on the 124 grainers. I think the powder is too fast for your gun.

Try the simple stuff first.

Are you loading for IPSC or USPSA major? Your profile does not indicate where you are from.

In USPSA, I always look for a 170-172 PF when I chrono a new load and then I start tuning the load for dot movement. Depending on the gun configuration, some loads just won't stablize the dot very well.

Are you loading for IPSC or USPSA major? Your profile does not indicate where you are from.

In USPSA, I always look for a 170-172 PF when I chrono a new load and then I start tuning the load for dot movement. Depending on the gun configuration, some loads just won't stablize the dot very well.

Im loading for IPSC

Edited by nexus

Sorry for that i did not edit my profile . Im from the philippines and im new to open division we are in IPSC . After reading all your informative replies i think im going to 170-171 pf from there i will test on different loads until im satified with the dot movement were i can track it ver well . Thank you very much guys for ur very positive replies

160 PF in IPSC so 165 is ok although I would use a powder in the burn rate to load like 8-9 grains

Its probably your expectations of what you think you should see and what you are seeing.

What are your splits and transitions on three targets at 3 yds 7 yds 10 yds and 25 yds

Open is the one division where I think minimum PF doesn't mean much as for whatever reason I have yet to shoot an Open gun that doesn't feel better and have less dot movement at 175 to 180 than at either 160 or 165. This is of course with the caveat that you are using slow burning powder.

The dot is going up and bouncing down and im using an 8lbs variable recoil spring

1. Don't take this wrong, just asking. How long have you been shooting open? This is normal, unless its excessive. If you are new to open, have an experienced open shooter shoot your gun and see what he thinks. Do a search here on dot movement. There's a couple of videos posted. Compare these to your dot movement.

2. About ten years ago, N340 powder was popular locally for awhile, but at 172-175 power factor. Everyone I know has moved on to slower powders, but it was definitely a workable load.

The dot is going up and bouncing down and im using an 8lbs variable recoil spring

1. Don't take this wrong, just asking. How long have you been shooting open? This is normal, unless its excessive. If you are new to open, have an experienced open shooter shoot your gun and see what he thinks. Do a search here on dot movement. There's a couple of videos posted. Compare these to your dot movement.

2. About ten years ago, N340 powder was popular locally for awhile, but at 172-175 power factor. Everyone I know has moved on to slower powders, but it was definitely

Im new to open division . About 2 months and i have just shot around 1k rounds into and trying diff kind of loads. Thank you very much for the advice im still learning all about open guns

There's a lot to learn and experiment with in open. Lots of good information here in the open gun forum. Welcome to the dark side.

:cheers:

Thank you so much for all your kind reply and im in process of finding the right load and that miserable dot movement hehe . Happy shooting and stay safe just enjoy the game DVC :)

What pistol are you using what caliber all this good stuff is kind of need to know.

From the looks of your load it looks like the powder is too fast. But the rest of the info is helpful to identify the problem

What pistol are you using what caliber all this good stuff is kind of need to know.

From the looks of your load it looks like the powder is too fast. But the rest of the info is helpful to identify the problem

O

Im using an open gun and 38 super

Edited by nexus