Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 Major - behavior between 115 jhp vs 124 jhp what should I expect at

SMS2

I have always shot 9 major using 124 JHP at 165 - 170 PF. What difference can I expect between the 124JHP and 115 JHP at the same PF? Behavior of pistol, recoil, control, etc. I vary between MG and Xtreme, would I still be able to use Xtreme plated as they approach 1450 fps Any personal advice/experience would be most helpful.

Thanks,

Stephen

Edited by SMS2

I don't know re: Xtreme, but the 115's mean you will be loading the cases very full of powder -

chance of spilling powder as you're reloading, and very little room to place the bullet into the

case - possibility of compressed powder charges. That's why I stay with the 124's.

On the positive side, seems to be less muzzle flip with the 115's at the same PF -

Up to you to judge the pros/cons.

Some give up and use the 121's instead - a nice compromise. :cheers:

Jack.........Thanks for the input. I never thought about the 121gr. I wasn't really looking to switch size as I'm very pleased with the MG 124 JHP I was just offered a very good price on 10k MG 115 JHP and since I have no experience with them I thought I would throw it out to the forum. I should have known form my own experience when using HS6. It fills up just about the entire case and

seating the bullet is a task w/o loosing some powder.

Thanks for the help.

Best,

Stephen

I have been shooting nothing but 115 JHPs since I bought my open gun. I load 9.3gr HS6 at 1.165" with a Fed205 for a 175PF. The case is pretty full, but the Hornady LNL is very smooth when set up correctly and I don't spill a single grain.

To me, going to 115s after shooting some 124s is a HUGE difference. The gun reacts much quicker. Between the 115s and going down to an 8lb recoil spring, the gun seemed to start shooting itself :cheers:

I've done 1,652fps with Xtremes and saw no problems.

I shoot mostly 115s for 9 Major and really like them; I've worked up loads of the same PF with 115s and 124s, shot them mixed in a mag and the difference is subtle, but the 124s are softer with a slower impulse. Gas is the fuel which works the comp, the more powder the more gas, the flatter the gun shoots, so I don't know why anyone would load 7.6gr when they could use the lighter bullet and load 8.8gr? Each powder has it's own point of diminishing returns and I've found that with SP2 @ ~1.150 it's ~9.5gr, after than more powder = less velocity; with Longshot it's around 8.3gr which is barely major if you're lucky anf it's LOUD :surprise:

I don't know re: Xtreme, but the 115's mean you will be loading the cases very full of powder -

chance of spilling powder as you're reloading, and very little room to place the bullet into the

case - possibility of compressed powder charges. That's why I stay with the 124's.

On the positive side, seems to be less muzzle flip with the 115's at the same PF -

Up to you to judge the pros/cons.

Some give up and use the 121's instead - a nice compromise. :cheers:

I love the 121's but I have bought a few thousand 115's to try one of these days.

My personal preference is 115 MG JHP and HS6. My load goes about 175/177 on numerous chronos. It does not get any cheaper to shoot. The dot tracks straight up and makes a little arc to the right. I can't remember which GM said "It doesn't get any better". Great for shooting steel plates.

My personal preference is 115 MG JHP and HS6. My load goes about 175/177 on numerous chronos. It does not get any cheaper to shoot. The dot tracks straight up and makes a little arc to the right. I can't remember which GM said "It doesn't get any better". Great for shooting steel plates.

What Larry said. I much prefer 115's with HS-6 to 124's with WAC for these reasons.

Hello: The 115 grain Montana Golds work very well for me. They shoot flatter than the 121,124,125's. I am using Winchester Auto Comp now 7.4grains and really like it. Little harsher on the hand than HS-6 but I seem to be shooting it better. Thanks, Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Eric............I'm surprised that 7.4 gr. of A/C gets you to major with 115 gr . I use 6.9 A/C with 124 JHP which gives me roughly 172 PF. I thought it would take a larger load to get the 115 to major.

Based on the replies I am going to try some 115 and see how it compares to the 124. Are A/C and HS6 the 2 best powders to use for the 115? I was a little concerned about pushing the Xtreme plated bullet to 1500 fps, even though Xtreme says it is perfectly stable at that velocity, as those of you who use it say it performs fine with no shredding or peeling of the plating.

Whatever recipes you can pass on for the 115 JHP would be great.

I'm also a bit surprised that there were no strong supporters for 124 to chime in.

Thanks to all for your help.

Stephen

Hello: The 7.4 grains of Auto Comp was at 5000 feet. I will chrono again now that I am at lower at about 900 feet. My old load was 9.2grains of HS-6 and it was 171-173 at 3 nationals. I have friends that are shooting the Berrys 115's and loving them. I have not tried them and shoot the Montana Golds. I have tried these powders Alliant Blue Dot, HS-6, Silhouette, Auto Comp, 3N37, Accurate no7, and some others. The best ones I have found for the 115's are HS-6, Silhouette and Auto Comp. I don't like that Silhouette is reverse temp sensitive but it is softer than Auto Comp. You may find that shooting a higher power factor will shoot flatter and even softer with your setup. My comp likes 171-175PF. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Eric.........I think your elevation explains your PF with only 7.4gr, of A/C. I'm here in Miami, which if not careful the 6' above sea level can lead to severe cases of vertigo. Since I'm going to be experimenting with a MG 115 JHP that I've never used before I think I will also try a higher PF to see if the gas is in fact more efficient allowing the gun to shoot flatter.

As to Seanc's question regarding the Xtreme heavy plate I have not used them and to date have only shot their standard 124 JHP and their 165 and 180 JHP 40s.

Thanks for the help

I use the 121 gr IFP bullets because they are more accurate out of both of my open guns. Have tried both 115 and 124 gr and they are both more accurate than necessary for USPSA. The guns shoot extremely flat with the 121.