Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's it selling for $

Ken_Bird

Ok, I am aware that powder is in very short supply. If you can find it at all. How much is 4# of Win-231 selling for today. I think I have found some but it's not cheap. I feel I need the KY

But, if I amortize it over the past several months its just a little higher then a normal cost.

It all boiled down to having powder and not having powder. Look at what 22lr is selling for today.

I read an article that said it may be two more years before powder was once again at a sane price.

Anyone with input. I am ready to buy so let me know your thoughts.

:excl:

I don't know what the going rate is...there has to be some floating around to establish that, hehehe.

For me though, if my competition load were based on 231 and I was running low, almost no price is too high to ensure I can keep shooting a pet load for another 2-ish years that 4 lbs would last me. I'd go $200 with a smile of relief on my face. I'd probably go $300...but no smile.

Of course my numbers come down quickly if that weren't my competition powder of choice or if I was already sitting on a stockpile and was just looking to pad a little. But I have to believe there's enough desperation out there to bring at least $150 for a 4 lb jug of 231.

To be fair, I don't shoot 231 regularly and didn't know the $67 number. I assumed it was closer to $100 and in the $125 range with hazmat charges.

But that being said, I still wouldn't let a $200 price tag put me on the bench.

How much would you pay for 12 ounces of water ?

When I was young enough to see my front sight, water was FREE - wouldn't

pay a dime for a bottle.

Now, everyone pays $.50 - $1.00 for a small bottle, every day.

If you're dying of thirst, what would you pay for the one bottle???

Anything over $25 per lb makes me cringe. I've only been loading for a couple years and consider normal retail price for components to be the going rate. I've never used Win 231 but isn't it the same as HP-38? I see other Winchester powders semi-regularly.

While it's hard to find and you may not find what you want. Sportsman's Warehouse had a 8lb can of Red Dot for $122.00. Works well in 9mm minor, 40 S@W and 45acp. Might not be you favorite choice but would keep you in the game. $lb was $71.00. Fair prices in today's world. They had small amounts and you needed to be there the morning it was put on the shelf. Haven't seen 231 or HP-38 on the shelf for some time now.

Is any Winchester powder even making it to the reloading market? I haven't seen any at all in 15 months. I am not shooting much at all right now, I've not seen pistol powder at any local shops in 6 months. My job gets in the way of finding any online, I do check gunbot a couple times a day.

Its been over a year and a half since i've seen any pistol powder in s/w Florida gunshops. just paid $216 on g/b for 4 lbs of titegroup. My local says at least another 6 months before he may see any. around here 231 or hp38 is just a page in the history books. If you wanna shoot you gotta pay. Weird thing is the local Walmart usually has the 550 pack Federal 22lr for 23.95 and always has 9mm ?? go figure :surprise:

PV price is: $18.35 a pound but they don't have any. So, the price will be what the market is willing to pay.

I'll be having to dip into some of my older powder because that is all I have. Never thought I'd run out of powder...or primers...or bullets...

I'll stop shooting before I pay that much for powder...unfortunately, my opinion is that the majority of the powder is going to major manufactures, and then smaller manufactures first. Until they are caught up, us reloader's really won't see any powder readily available.

Edited by polizei1

Sad state of afairs for pistol reloading right now.

Like most others I've seen very little "preferred" pistol powders, I'm getting ready to start my last 4#'s of Titegroup.

I've got about another 30#'s of different stuff (power pistol, unique, CFE, BlueDot,WST, ClayDot, and bulseye) , but I like TG for 9mm, getting almost 8000rnd per 4# keg isn't to shabby.

~g

Its been over a year and a half since i've seen any pistol powder in s/w Florida gunshops. just paid $216 on g/b for 4 lbs of titegroup. My local says at least another 6 months before he may see any. around here 231 or hp38 is just a page in the history books. If you wanna shoot you gotta pay. Weird thing is the local Walmart usually has the 550 pack Federal 22lr for 23.95 and always has 9mm ?? go figure :surprise:

Wow. I Should have charged more for the 4 lb jug I just sold. I let it go for $80.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

They do have Tite Group still, if that interests you...

Thanks. I hope the 2 per customer is per powder type, because I also ordered 2 lbs of Autocomp as well.

I can work up a load with 40S&W or otherwise trade with an open shooter.