Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

failure to extract

lppd4

My M&P 9L is experiencing some failure to extract issues. I shot about 100 rounds through it Friday and had 2-3 failures. I know they have had issues in the past. Mine has been pretty reliable until lately. I have contacted S&W just curious what others have done to fix the problem.

Good advise from Sarge. (I had to! :) )

Specifically: https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid31.html

I advice (oops, I did it again) sending it to them to put in because the OEM pin is a royal pain to get out (I was never successful). Apex replaces it with one that can be removed by mortals.

What he said. (almost) :goof:

It could just be powder residue stuck behind the extractor - try blasting behind it using carb cleaner. If you have a newer gun with a roll pin securing the extractor, you can easily drift the pin out and clean that area out even better. However, I agree with others that the Apex Failure Resistant Extractor is a worthwhile upgrade, especially if you are already going to the trouble of removing the factory extractor anyway.

I have an old 9L, had the same problems. Apex FRE and rollpin fixed it. I also couldn't get the solid rollpin out myself, so I sent it to Apex and had them radius it and install it with a new rollpin. Changed my stock sights to Warren Tactical, also.

My M&P started having fte problems fter about 3000 rounds, replaced it with a apex extractor and shot another 25,000 rounds without a single fte

Edited by bigfish

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to having extractor, spring and pin installed, 100 down the pipe with no failures. I know this isn't a huge test but it is better performance than I was experiencing. I have to hand it to S&W they were attentive to my problem. Hopefully I'm good to go for a while

• 3 weeks later...

Apex FRE fixed both my Compact and FS M&Ps. No FTEs after 1000 rounds. Had to buy 3 different punches to get solid factory pin out. 1-1/16" starter punch 2-regular length 1/16" punches and cut one down to 3/16 long to use as extended starter punch. Also replaced solid pin with roll pin.

Edited by gunner442

BTW, S&W has been installing roll pins instead of solid pins in the extractor for quite a while now. Not sure when they made the switch but the last 3 M&P 9's I purchased over the last 18 months have hade roll pins.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems there have been various causes for the ejection issue. Reloaded ammo as others have mentioned is always suspect number 1 ,IMO. Dirty extractor, springs and gunk in the extractor slide cutout is another culprit. My recently manufactured Pro had the problem on an intermittent basis. Mostly during a match. During practice, not so much as the gun knows I am watching it...I got an RMA from S&W but decided the Apex solution was more expedient. Soaking the extractor pin wth WD40 Kroil or whatever, overnight will help a good bit. And yes the correct punch with a big hammer ,used carefully ,will do the job. It is not wise to ask your wife to hold the slide while you try to use the big hammer. Best to use a vice. Do not ask how I know this.

In addition there a a few You Tube vids detailing the APEX install.

• 1 year later...

reviving an old thread here. I replaced my extractor in my M&P 9L with a replacement that S&W sent me for free after I wrote them an email detailing the problem. Same failure to extract started occurring again. Bit the bullet and bought the Apex. No failures yet, even made it through the local USPSA match, yea it fails more frequently in matches as pointed out by Bigbrass. It bothers me that I have to buy aftermarket parts to make my gun reliable. I really like the gun or I would have sold it and bought a Glock 34. Hopefully the Apex will fix it for the long haul. My buddies 9 Pro has had no such issues with thousands of rounds down the tube maybe S&W have the issue resolved.

If they finally figured it out I guess it's better late than never. I bought mine in 09 and sold it because of the problems a very short time later. I went to a 34 so I could finally finish a stage! Best thing I ever did

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

After much frustration with the M&P 9L over extraction issues. I broke down and sent it back to S&W. They replaced the extractor on the first trip, I was not feeling good about the issue being fixed but do understand their reasoning behind just replacing the extractor. Still had issues so I sent it back again explaining that I think the issue stemmed from the extractor indexing on the case rim at approximately the 1:30 position when other M&P's I own and have examined index closer to a 3:00 position on the case rim. They returned my pistol to me in less than 2 weeks with a new barrel and a new guide rod installed. The extractor now indexes at the 3:00 position and I have had no further issues with the pistol. S&W customer service was excellent, great turnaround time too.

I'm Not sure if barrel was out of spec or not. I shot the pistol in a match this weekend and it ran like a cat on fire. I was very impressed with the way S&W handled it. The pistol was bought in 2009 and I delayed in getting back to them.