Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The death of cash transations at retailers

CHA-LEE

I am a cash only kind of guy and hate paying for normal retail transactions using a credit or debit card. I have noticed a growing trend of there being less and less cash available in the register to make change properly to handle a cash transaction. If I try to pay for something with a $50 or $100 bill it turns into a "BIG DEAL" with them not having enough cash in the register to make change. I have lost count of how many times a cashier has tried to give me a bunch of $1 or $5 bills as change. As a consumer its pretty crappy when you pay with a $50 or $100 bill and they try to give you crap ton of $5 bills as change. Either that or they force me to pay with a credit/debit card because they can't even make change for a cash transaction.

I have been thinking about going to the bank and getting a $100 sack of Nickles. Then use the nickles to pay for transactions where they can't make the proper change because the choose to not stock their register with the proper amount of cash for cash transactions :devil:

For the longest time I was also a cash-only type of guy. Then I realized that by using a cash-rewards credit card for virtually all my purchases, I could realize an average refund of $700-800 per year. I just keep track of my daily expenditures and a monthly running total so I can stay within budget; no more loose change in my pocket and it's made life a little easier.

Cash is king. Forever and ever. A mom n pop shop I understand they may not have the cash in the till, but best buy, if they don't have the change for a bill, just go to amazon. Forget 'em.

For the longest time I was also a cash-only type of guy. Then I realized that by using a cash-rewards credit card for virtually all my purchases, I could realize an average refund of $700-800 per year. I just keep track of my daily expenditures and a monthly running total so I can stay within budget; no more loose change in my pocket and it's made life a little easier.

The only thing I disagree with in your post is "it's made life a little easier". Its made mine a lot easier.

I'll use a credit card for just about anything that will accept one (as long as there is not a surcharge tacked on). I pay the balance off at the end of the month. And I pay the bill with my online checking. Its been over 20 years since the last time I had to pay interest on any account.

Benefits (as I see them):

1. I'm using OPM (other peoples' money).

2. Excellent record keeping. Just pull up the CC account on the computer and I see almost any expense in the past several years.

3. If I lose my wallet, all the cash in it is gone. The credit cards are replaced in a day or two at no expense to me.

4. If I have a hassle with a vendor, let the CC company handle it.

5. I can't remember the last time I bought a box of checks.

6. And the cash rewards do add up.

The Hate forum is for rants only - please, no lengthy discussions or debates.

Hate threads that turn into discussions or debates will be automatically locked without notice.

General or supportive-related comments are not prohibited; however - rebuttals are specifically prohibited.

If you don't agree with someone's rant - keep it to yourself.

Add the word "CLOSED" as the last line in your INITIAL post, if you do not want anyone to reply in your thread. A moderator will then lock your thread. (You can also PM a moderator, if you'd like your post locked immediately.)

• Hate rants involving shooters, firearms, or shooting related manufacturers, such as but not limited to - IPSC, IDPA, USPSA, Colt, Brownell's, Dillon, or Match Staff - are NOT PERMITTED. Brian's Forums is also not the place to resolve customer service issues or disputes you may have with a manufacturer, dealer, gunsmith, or individual.

• If your hate rant has to do with shooting then it needs to be directed towards yourself.

• In general - The Hate Forum is not for venting about anything to do with anyone or thing that hits close to home here. Please keep that in mind when posting in the Hate Forum.

I'm sorry for these restrictions, which may restrict a few reasonable hate rants. Overall, the moderating staff does not feel it's appropriate for the forum's content or well being in general.

NOTE: At a Moderator's discretion, Hate rants may be locked at any time after the initial post.

Thanks!

be

I am a cash only kind of guy and hate paying for normal retail transactions using a credit or debit card. I have noticed a growing trend of there being less and less cash available in the register to make change properly to handle a cash transaction. If I try to pay for something with a $50 or $100 bill it turns into a "BIG DEAL" with them not having enough cash in the register to make change. I have lost count of how many times a cashier has tried to give me a bunch of $1 or $5 bills as change. As a consumer its pretty crappy when you pay with a $50 or $100 bill and they try to give you crap ton of $5 bills as change. Either that or they force me to pay with a credit/debit card because they can't even make change for a cash transaction.

I have been thinking about going to the bank and getting a $100 sack of Nickles. Then use the nickles to pay for transactions where they can't make the proper change because the choose to not stock their register with the proper amount of cash for cash transactions :devil:

I prefer to use $2 bills and $1 coins :devil:

I have the opposite problem. I haven't carried cash on a regular basis since the early 1990s. All debit card. Every now and then, I come across a business that doesn't take card. Last Sunday, my wife and I were coming back from Rolling Thunder on our motorcycle. It was hot, and we wanted to stop for ice cream. Stopped at this little ice cream stand we'd heard about and stood in line for 30 minutes. When we got to the front, lo and behold a big sign in the window that said, "CASH ONLY". Welcome back to the 20th century! Hopped back on the bike, and went to Friendly's. Would've loved to support that little local business, but I just wasn't equipped to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer to use $2 bills and $1 coins :devil:
I started a small commotion at jack in The Box when I paid with a $2 bill..... there is no drawer in the cash register for that. It's one, five, ten and twenty. They eventually put it in the one dollar slot.

Someday cash will be a distant memory and then a footnote in the history books and that is a sad day. Cash is anonymous. You buy it, you walk away. no records need be made. Think about the next time you want to tip the entertainer at an adult emporium, you really want $5 tip Desiree to be on your account? Seriously cash is freedom. Everyone takes cash, the little ice cream stand and the Car Dealer. Checks and CCs are easier to carry. Ever wonder why back when a new car was $2,000.00 you could pay for it with two $1,000.00 bills? or maybe 4 $500 dollar bills and now that a car is $20,000.00 you need 200 $100.00 bills? Cash is obsoleted for us whether we like it or not. Read old Sci-Fi, everyone had a little reader they tapped a code into or swiped. We already have the ability to pay using our cell phones and to transfer money directly between people without cash. Welcome to 1984

I'm a cash guy big time. Can't buy a used car or motorcycle off the side of the road with a credit or debit card. Cash is a much better negotiating tool. Cash means that it's paid for. I don't sign up for any of the bullshit "rewards" cards as all they do is track your purchases. I prefer total anonymity. :ph34r:

Found a hot little deal on Amazon the other day and tried to pay for it with cash. Was stuffing cash into my computer into what turned out to be the CD slot - the repair guy at the computer shop had a good laugh...

Sent from my SGH-I757M using Tapatalk

Just got back from lunch where I tried to pay for my $7.57 meal with a $20 bill.....they couldn't make change. They let me pay with the $7 I had in my wallet instead of my card :) Sometimes a cashless society has its perks.

• 4 weeks later...