Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun Dummies

Remington wouldn't make any more for us (I work at Brownells). The box was probably a photo dummy. These are made by a different outfit, specifically for us. The Remington version had a blank primer pocket area, these have a pocket with a poly-something insert.

Awesome! I was about to have shells made up without the primer but these are much better, especially at the price, little over a dollar each? What a bargin! Thanks for the info and link!

• 4 weeks later...

I just got around to using these and they are great. Much better for me than the st action pro ones because they are the correct weight. They seem to be holding up well but I don't chamber them I just release them from the mag tube

• 2 weeks later...

Chambering these will beat them up. I have 10 or so that are not use able any more the front flattened out on them.

I kind of agree. My old brownells ones had the rim get all beaten up pretty quickly, and these are wearing out pretty fast as well.

So there are a couple of problems with the new Brownells dummies. For the price I think I can live with it, but something that you should be aware of.

The older ones had more shot and they were heavier, but that is somewhat of a personal choice I guess. It does have a secondary problem though. With less shot in the shell, the wad sits higher and the it doesn't make it to the brass, plus the brass is shorter then the previous ones. This means there is a structurally weak part of the shell and given what we do with them, they eventually bend and buckle.

here is what mean:

MCQy3KM.jpg

ORiZFDW.jpg

Additionally the rims seemed to get beaten to snot a LOT faster then the older ones:

JkpFhS3.jpg

lpg2teY.jpg

Shotgun dummy rounds, for loading practice, should be considered a consumable. They won't last forever, and they should not be run into the chamber. Load them in the tube, remove them from the tube by pressing the shell latch.

If you want to practice with a match saver to port load and such, pick out one dummy and use it until it starts to go south, then throw it away. If you use the steel or aluminum dummies, they will last longer for port loading as well.

I wore out a box of of the Fiocchi dummies and replaced them right before they discontinued them. I save them for demos and such, but they will go south eventually as well.

Just like anything else, some regular inspection will be beneficial. If you want the same feel for loading, you have to live with the fact that they will wear out.

Yep, they are consumable, just more consumable then the last version, thats all.

And at some point I'll need a new shotgun, but for now I'm still using my 11-87 and unloading it via the shell latch is not really easy or even possible. Nowadays I half cycle them and drop them out of the ejection port before they chamber.

The buckling, that is a bit more of an issue, but as you said, consumable.