Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PractiScore 1.2.17 Released

ZackJones

What's New

* Fixed crash when retrieving shooter from history

* Cannot update with Play Store (0000343)

* Sync form issues (0000344)

* Device name configuration is moved to the parent sync screen

* Opening Practiscore take 15-20 seconds (0000360)

* USPSA View Results scoring sort order needs refinement (0000174)

* USPSA Incorrect class and category for DQed shooters (0000361)

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I am sorry, but I am not moving from .12 until I hear that we have a winner. Seems every 'fix' has almost as many issues as the one it replaced.

I am not a computer person, for me it is a tool and maybe entertainment.

How about we freeze all the requests and changes and concentrate on just fixing all the bugs. Then when everything is working we can produce a list of user requested refinements and changes. We all take a look and see what makes sense to the majority and then we keep the working version live an dhave a beta series for those that are informed enough and know enough about Android and Nooks and whatever else and that stays in Beta until it is cleared for use. Maybe we can have some clubs run both version side by side for a few matches. and see what issues arise?

All the issues that keep coming up worry us here in the trenches. We have invested a decent amount of club resources in this program, yes the software was fand is free, THANK YOU! Really THANK YOU! but the hardware and the learning curve and especially in many cases the 'political' capital spent to get the clubs to buy into this if it fails in the end or if there is enough grumbling that some head back to paper, we may never get the opportunity to advance again.

Jim, not sure what "we" you are referring to, but you and anyone else are more than welcome to volunteer for testing for any issues. I am pretty sure you and many other PractiScore users have everything ready to start now and you don't have to use all your devices. Think about it as a community effort.

But hey, if 1.2.12 work for you and you don't want to invest your time in there, you don't have to update.

Edited by euxx

The 'We' refers to all of us, the users and the developers. What I feel is needed is to stop developing and just concentrate on solidifying the program. If we were going to do this, I just might dedicate a couple of my back-ups to being test beds. I have a few people that are savvy enough that I'd get and therefore you'd get perhaps usable information back. Once teh program is stable and there are agreed upon items that would be positive to add or change, then we do the same thing, Keep supporting the stable issue until the newest iteration is stable, then tell everyone that as of dd-MM-YYYY they have to upgrade or lose support, meanwhile the dedicated crew of betas could continue to run a squad or two at each match with the newest latest release and see what breaks. One thing that needs to be is that upgrades or new releases need to occur at a slow enough pace that several matches can be run before the next release to thoroughly test them. Only the Betas should have access to the interim releases. And they should not occur, unless there is a total failure that prevents using the program, at short intervals.

With this said, I might run a couple duplicates using what ever release we are currently on at our next indoor practice. 4 stages and 25 shooters should be adequate.

Thanks Jim, I'd appreciate if you or anyone else would point me to specific issues that are affecting you.

I am avare of several issues in 1.2.12 that been fixed in later versions (including several crashes), yet that doesn't stop you from believing 1.2.12 was a better version.

Along the same lines... People had complained that wifi scan was too slow in 1.2.12, so I tweaked it and broke a refresh button in 1.2.15. But that was not a show stopper issues (you could simply use back button to re-enter the screen), so the fix wasn't urgent enough to do another release and it is fixed in 1.2.17 now.

When you say, there are bugs not being fixed and features no one asked for being added, you have to be specific about those bugs. I can't fix issues no one reported...

Some people may find it disheartening how frequently the PractiScore software is updated/fixed, but having frequent updates is better than infrequent updates and having to live with issues or bugs for an extended amount of time. The PractiScore team is working hard at making their software feature rich and function solidly. There will be issues found along the way and fixes put in place to resolve them. That is all part of the process and evolution of any software.

I am always excited by a new update of Practiscore. If I have a chance I try it out at home before hand but most of the time I just update the club's machines before match. I don't mention it to the guys I just do it. We have never had a show stopper. We have never failed to get the scores out. We have come across things that we reported and they were fixed quite quickly.

This is my worst case scenarios.

• We score on member's phones. We have done this in the past when machines have overheated due to it being very hot.
  • We don't get the scores out. (this has never happened but did quite regularly with paper based scoring.)
  • We have to use paper base scoring. (This has never happened)

I feel the least we can do to support this great software is use the latest, test and report bugs. It is in my interest to do this because there is no way I want to go back to the pain of paper based scoring.

My Club just started running PS, and holy crap Thank You. We haven't had any real issues that weren't user error. I am curious if icore support is in the future? This may have been answered elsewhere so I apologize in advance.

If you need beta testers for updates let me know. I will see what I can do.

Perhaps it is that I am not a computer person that my view point is different. I am concerned about some of the releases that were replaced within hours due to major issues. If I were more computer literate, it might not phase me so much. I have 70-90+ shooters that will be showing up for a match and having issues is a scary thing. There are still a number of people, a significant number that would much rather use paper. That they don't do all the work to set up and score a match does not enter into their view. Me, I am thrilled to have an electronic scoring system as it saves me hours of trying to decipher the chicken scratch that many call writing or printing.

I just want a program that runs without issues. That said, If I have time, I'll run a couple Nooks in .17

Jim, would you prefer if discovered issues are fixed after your match or if critical issues are fixed right away? The bottom line is that issues are being fixed.

I do realize it doesn't look good, but no need to freak out about it. I am doing what I can, but I'm only human.

PS: don't get any illusions, all software has bugs, even the one they sent to the moon... :)

How does one sign up to help beta test? I manage the monthly scoring for a USPSA, Steel Challenge, Time Plus, and an ICORE match which is scored using USPSA, then parsed through a custom program to regenerate the results.

Edited by jdphotoguy

I sent in an e-mail to beta test 14 months ago, got a reply from Devin, and never heard a peep since.

I do appreciate the frequent fixes, and I also recognize the difficulty of managing two different platforms and keeping them working together (and from what I gather, Apple store releases aren't as quick and easy as Android). I guess if you had a more formal beta testing program then issues like 1.2.14 and the sync issue in .15 might not have hit the streets.... and the concerns about being on the bleeding edge might be avoided.

I sent in an e-mail to beta test 14 months ago, got a reply from Devin, and never heard a peep since.

If you don't hear from us about anything you might have asked, please don't hesitate to email support@practiscore.com again. Sometimes emails could be overlooked... Please don't feel bad about that. For instance, Devin is not working for NiftyBytes anymore and ios app is developed by Russ now.

I do appreciate the frequent fixes, and I also recognize the difficulty of managing two different platforms and keeping them working together (and from what I gather, Apple store releases aren't as quick and easy as Android). I guess if you had a more formal beta testing program then issues like 1.2.14 and the sync issue in .15 might not have hit the streets.... and the concerns about being on the bleeding edge might be avoided.

For Android app I usually email everyone who expressed interest in trying out the new releases + anyone who had reported issues (mostly from bug tracking system https://practiscore.com/bugs/) that are fixed in that given version. Then I test what I could and if I won't receive any bug reports in several days (usually not everyone reply) I push release out and move to the next iteration.

Russ is using TestFlight system to deliver beta versions of iOS app. I suppose I can also do similar stuff using Google's own system for beta releases, though that won't help people with Nooks and Kingles...

Note: I've logged a bug in Mantis and have uploaded the match files for Eugene to test with. I was also asked to help test 1.2.17 but didn't have time prior to this match. I wish now I did have time.

Friday night as I was preparing the tablets for the Saturday match I discovered our master scoring tablet had been upgraded automatically (Bill Noyes - before you say anything I did not setup the master tablet and didn't know auto-updates were on). So I proceed to set the match up using 1.2.17. The scoring Nooks had 1.2.12 on them. When it came time to sync from the master to stage tablets things would not work. When I tried to pull down the registration and stages the scoring tablets were showing no changes found. I tried everything I could think of such as editing a shooter on the master, etc so that I knew for certain that changes had been made and the scoring tablets still didn't see any changes. I ended up updating the scoring tablets to 1.2.17 and once I did that I was able to pull down the changes to the scoring tablets.

At the match scoring seemed to work properly and I was able to pull result during the match but after the match was over I was trying to do one final sync and found cases where scores existed on the scoring tablets but were not on the master. Again I tried tweaking the score by adding a procedural or miss so that I knew for certain the scoring tablet had updated information but the master would never pull down the changes.

In another case one scoring tablet was trying to send down a new stage when it shouldn't have.

Because I have not been able to pull down results from the scoring tablets I can't produce the final match results to post to the PractiScore web site. I had considered just entering them on the master manually but decided to leave things as is and log a bug report. Hopefully the problems can be identified and corrected.

The moon? Really? So now we're comparing an android app with the onboard Apollo CSM and LM code that carried 9 missions to the moon and back?

Zack, I guess I'm reading from you that you're running an all-android shop and there's no iOS in the mix?

Problem solved - The app needs to be removed completely and reinstalled, then sync works. I like the battery level feature.

It would've been good to know before trying to run a match on them though.

Bill, you've announced here that you are moving to iOS, so I would really appreciate if you STOP posting the old versions and don't interfere with development and bug fixes for the android app.

I would rather work on a proper fix with anyone who are having issues. Please email to support@practiscore.com