Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PractiScore 1.2.17 Released

ZackJones

Bill, you are essentially asking to implement an email app inside practiscore with offline storage, resend and all... You'll have all of that if you simply install an email app.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I'm not. I'll try again. I'm suggesting that you programmatically detect the presence of an separately installed email app and, if present, create the email for later sending by the email app, without the user having to do anything. Correspondingly similar action if there is no email app on the device but the 'sendto sd' app is instead found.

If you don't want to do it, that's fine and not particularly surprising. I noted earlier messages from you elsewhere, including your suggestion about adding either an email or the sendto sd app. For reasons already stated, I think email is not a good fit on a nook, but sendto-sd seems a good solution, hence I've adopted that on all my nooks. It was a good suggestion, and (again) thank you for that.

...Not that I have any way of actually testing it, mind you. Because of our caution about 'this' version v. 'that' version, we settle on a release that gives us the least amount of trouble and thus don't experience the kind of issues that others who are more cutting edge than we, might endure.

Edited by wgnoyes

I'd be happy if the member number thing got fixed with the sync issue seemingly figured out, the number auto populate would have the app doing everything I need it to do.

I guess I'd like the app to make me sammiches too, but I can wait for that.

Plenty of ranges have internet access, especially now that there are so many people with smartphone hotspot capabilities. I understand you don't have coverage at your range Bill, but let's not drive the direction of the software based on your atypical situation.

Yeah, but you can't stop the stage to go find one of those folks with a mifi in their pocket or hotspot phone, and even beyond that, most ranges have lousy cell service. (We have one on top of a mountain in N. GA that gets NO service!) So our experiences are not atypical, but anyway, it's why I adopted euxx's suggestion and added send-to sd to my nooks. The idea being no internet, so what, use send-to instead.

From the SC/GA/NC area.. I can't think of a range that has internet access at the range.. either remote areas, or no power or both...

BUT I agree, we should be able to accommodate all needs...

No 3G or 4G cell phone coverage either? Because if you have those, then internet access is available.... and I imagine prices and capabilities aren't going to do anything but improve in the future.

No, I'm not. I'll try again. I'm suggesting that you programmatically detect the presence of an separately installed email app and, if present, create the email for later sending by the email app, without the user having to do anything. Correspondingly similar action if there is no email app on the device but the 'sendto sd' app is instead found.

If you don't want to do it, that's fine and not particularly surprising. I noted earlier messages from you elsewhere, including your suggestion about adding either an email or the sendto sd app. For reasons already stated, I think email is not a good fit on a nook, but sendto-sd seems a good solution, hence I've adopted that on all my nooks. It was a good suggestion, and (again) thank you for that.

Let me reiterate. PractiScore app is using a standard Android mechanism to send text data and all it takes is two taps (select app and then tap on send button in selected app). Unfortunately that is as far as it goes. Also, what app to use to perform send action is totally up to the user and all it takes is to install the app on device.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with using email for those notifications. You don't need wifi or internet connection to create create and save email. Then after your match is done, nothing stops you from taking the nooks with you to a place with wifi and send those saved emails.

The NST's can't send email so the bug report doesn't go anywhere. About the only thing you can do is try to recreate it again and write down the steps.

This is not true. NST can send emails as long as you have email app installed.

It is a whole different story that the NST rooting package you guys are using is deliberately choose to not include an email app (or any other sharing options) into the package.

Thanks for the clarification. We'll just blame JC for not providing email then :).

What would be nice if a crash occurs in Practiscore it checks for an SD card in the NST and if one is present writes an error log to the SD card. That way those of us that run NSTs without email capability could still capture crash reports and send them after the fact.

The NST's can't send email so the bug report doesn't go anywhere. About the only thing you can do is try to recreate it again and write down the steps.

This is not true. NST can send emails as long as you have email app installed.

It is a whole different story that the NST rooting package you guys are using is deliberately choose to not include an email app (or any other sharing options) into the package.

Thanks for the clarification. We'll just blame JC for not providing email then :).

What would be nice if a crash occurs in Practiscore it checks for an SD card in the NST and if one is present writes an error log to the SD card. That way those of us that run NSTs without email capability could still capture crash reports and send them after the fact.

Better yet...have no crashes :)

Hmm, yeah, really! Then we wouldn't need email on the nooks (which nobody wants) nor this sendto-sd app, and we wouldn't have to ask harried shooters to stop the stage (which they're not going to do) to tap in stuff (which only confuses them) for a dump from a problem (that shouldn't have happened in the first place).

But then everyone has to buy an SD card for all their Nooks, which is silly and pointless -- for those of us who prefer other update methods, that is. In addition, "someone" would have to know there had been a crash, which Nook it was on, pull the SD card, plug it in somewhere else, find the file, try to describe the crash circumstances, and upload/e-mail it.

All for functionality that ideally won't be used except in strange, one-off circumstances.

That's why the code would check for the sd card first. It's not silly and pointless; you can put a $2 sd card in a nook and forget it, and then as a side benefit have the best method available for updating practiscore to the next build. As to notification, have the nook send over notification of a problem (or maybe even the error log itself!; there's an idea) to the master on the next sync.

And you wouldn't have to pull the card; just plug the device into your computer and get the data that way. But I don't like handling those itty bitty cards either.

Edited by wgnoyes

Okay, that's a better explanation, thanks.

So you can't automate the two taps?

Those taps happen outside of Practiscore app, so I don't see how it would be possible.

However if you want to have XYZ method for sharing data from Practiscore (including crash report, score summary, final scores or even match export) you can implement it yourself. The "Copy to SD" app sources can be a good start and you can code actual implementation to your own liking. See https://code.google.com/p/sendtosd-android/

Looks like there's issues reliably detecting the presence of an SD card on the NST so I've recommended the issue in Mantis be closed. Looks like the only option is to use send to SD or not report crashes.

However if you want to have XYZ method for sharing data from Practiscore (including crash report, score summary, final scores or even match export) you can implement it yourself. The "Copy to SD" app sources can be a good start and you can code actual implementation to your own liking. See https://code.google.com/p/sendtosd-android/

Fine, thanks.

Edited by wgnoyes

OK, Non computer person here again.

where does one get 'Send to SD' and what steps does one need to implement this?

Thank you

Euxx actually has it in his link above, but here's the DIRECT link to the .apk file: https://code.google.com/p/sendtosd-android/downloads/detail?name=sendtosd-android-0.3.9.apk

Then just get it over to the nook in the same way you get a new release of practiscore. Then (this seems the logical thing to do) go ahead and start it once and set the Initlal folder to "SD Card root", and then close the app. I haven't actually seen this in action yet, so I don't know what happens when an actual error log gets generated. I'm guessing the "couple of taps" involves selecting sendto-SD as the receiving app for the report.

Sheesh Bill... OUR scoring system? Where do you get off?

Why can't you just politely request something instead of being so combative all the time? Why not submit a request for your improvements like everyone else does, instead of attacking the developer at every possible chance, just because you happen not to get along with him? You need to take a step back and realize how your indignant tone comes across, and how it's not helpful to USPSA, Practiscore, or anything else. Just because you didn't get the answer you wanted doesn't make it okay to lash out like a spoiled 3 year old brat.