Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PractiScore 1.2.17 Released

ZackJones

Rejected. I saw a user who wished to go back to a prior version and rather than allow him to simply sit and suffer like you would do while you come up with the next version, I complied with his request and provided what he wanted. That's what a software vendor does. If another person makes a similar request, I'll do it again, without apology. I strongly suggest that YOU consider what happened with 1.2.16 and start testing the basic stuff yourself, rather than relying upon your "community" to do your job for you. Then maybe you won't have anyone asking to go back to the prior version anymore!

And I'll thank you not to put words in my mouth. There is no where that you can point where I said I was going all ios.

Edited by wgnoyes

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all due respect, you are not a vendor here, please do not act as one. You are not helping.

This issue is well beyond basic stuff. Shoveling it under the carpet like you did with version downgrade, without doing any due diligence is only making things worse.

With all due respect, neither are you.

The CLEAR OBVIOUS PRIORITY when a user is in the ditch is to get him back up and running as soon as possible. If he has upgraded to a defective release and experiences a show-stopping issue, the logical thing to do is to restore to the previous version so that he may continue on with the reason he is running the system in the first place. Then, and only then, do you go back and analyze the error and try to effect a code fix in the product.

In other words, put simply:

User: The system is down

Vendor: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you change anything?

User: Yes, I installed the new release.

Vendor: I see. Can you go back to the prior release you were on and try it again?

User: Yes, that did it, I'm running again,

Vendor: Excellent. Sorry for the inconvenience. We'll go back and look at our code and see where OUR testing failed and we'll fix it. In the meantime, please continue to run your current release so as not to experience any further outages. We'll let you and the rest of our customers know when we have a stable and tested version available for you.

THAT is what an IT professional would do.

Edited by wgnoyes

And don't talk to me about sweeping code under the rug, as the system change log jumps from 1.2.5 to 1.2.7, when we all know there was a 1.2.6 that lasted about 8 hours and the change summary for which is now attributed to 1.2.7.

With all due respect, neither are you.

I never said I am.

User: The system is down

Vendor: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you change anything?

User: Yes, I installed the new release.

Vendor: I see. Can you go back to the prior release you were on and try it again?

User: Yes, that did it, I'm running again,

Vendor: Excellent. Sorry for the inconvenience. We'll go back and look at our code and see where OUR testing failed and we'll fix it. In the meantime, please continue to run your current release so as not to experience any further outages. We'll let you and the rest of our customers know when we have a stable and tested version available for you.

THAT is what an IT professional would do.

That is exactly what one of the users did this weekend and that is when they emailed support because they couldn't post their match results... You have to understand the consequences before advising stuff like that.

Anyways, I am done here. If anyone need support please email support@practiscore.com we are there to help.

Unless you're putting code in that makes matches incompatible with prior versions (in which case the need for vendor testing before release is all that much greater PLUS you need to tell people they are going down a path of no return when installing x release), that shouldn't be an issue.

And you still don't get it. You're the only developer for the android version of practiscore. I don't care if you don't get paid, I don't care if you didn't sign anything, you ARE the de facto vendor for this software.

Screw that! Anyone that needs an old version to MAKE A MATCH RUN SUCCESSFULLY, I'll provide a link to whatever build they want.

For USPSA matches, we've had good luck with 1.2.15. Some people still prefer 1.2.12. But if you want a complete list, check here.

I generally recommend never updating in the week before the match. And after an update, set up a 3 shooter/3 stage match for testing, and make sure you can create a match, add shooters and stages, add/edit scores, and sync.

I also suggest keeping the latest and previous .apk files on hand at a match, in case you do need to reinstall. Note that if you uninstall PractiScore, you will lose ALL your match databases and shooter history. If you're just reinstalling, that's not an issue. We had that happen at Area 6, where we couldn't delete the match (screen flickered black, then returned to the main menu). We ended up having to uninstall and reinstall the same version of PS on all the NOOKs, which fixed it. Afterwards, I couldn't recreate the problem, and since it wasn't the bleeding edge version, I figured no one would be interested in the problem anyway.

...we couldn't delete the match (screen flickered black, then returned to the main menu). We ended up having to uninstall and reinstall the same version of PS on all the NOOKs, which fixed it. Afterwards, I couldn't recreate the problem, and since it wasn't the bleeding edge version, I figured no one would be interested in the problem anyway.

...or the problem has been already fixed in the later versions.

Anyway, if the app does that, you can try to back out all the way, exit the app and restart it. It may ofer to email the bug report for last crash. But you need some way to share it, e.g. email app installed on given device.

I don't think there was actually an app crash so there would have been no crash report (we call it a "dump", by the way), and anyway there was no way in hell we would entertain the idea of updating our systems software at Area 6, especially not THAT week when 1.2.13 came monday followed by 1.2.14 on thursday, followed by 1.2.15 only a few hours later. 400 shooters, 12 stages, that kind of change history over 4 days, and you want me to UPDATE?!?!

BUT, I have re-rooted all the South River Gun Club nooks to the latest version of rootnscoreit for separate reasons and did include on them an app you pointed out somewhere else called Send to SD Card, which I presume will work anywhere even when there isn't internet available for sending email. (All the nooks have a SD card in them all the time.) That was a good suggestion and thank you at least for that.

Zack, I guess I'm reading from you that you're running an all-android shop and there's no iOS in the mix?

Bill

We are running all-android for our master and scoring tablets. I do have my own personal iPad but the scoring stuff was provided by the club so that's what we use. Eugene has worked with me to resolve the issues. I'll post details about that in another post.

It has been a LONG weekend for me. I'll try to recap everything here so hopefully some good will come out of it.

First - Friday night when I was configuring the master (android) tablet I noticed it had been upgraded to 1.2.17. The 5 NSTs we use for scoring for steel challenge still has 1.2.12 on them. For some reason the NST's with 1.2.12 would not sync with the master running 1.2.17 so I bit the bullet and installed 1.2.17 on all of the scoring tablets. Once I did that the tablets appeared to sync and we ran the match as we normally would.

After the match I was trying to sync the scoring tablets with the master to collect all scores to produce the match results. Somehow two of our shooters ended up being registered twice and one of the scoring tablets contained an extra stage. I tried to correct the problems as best I could at the range but when I saw that it was going to take quite some time to figure out I put everything away until I got a chance to work on it Sunday.

I created the item in Mantis and uploaded the data from the master and all 5 scoring tablets. Almost instantly I got an email from Eugene asking for additional details and over the course of Sunday afternoon, Sunday night and today Eugene was able to resolve the majority of the problems by performing actions on the scoring tablets. So big THANKS to Eugene for looking at this stuff so quickly.

If you ever end up with two a shooter registered twice on a scoring tablet and they have scores under both names you can merge the two separate records into one by marking them as a walk on. This will combine the two records into one on the scoring tablet. Once you sync on the master repeat the process and you should end up with a single record.

In the case of the additional stage after you merge onto the master check each stage for scores and if one does not have any scores then you can safely delete it. (I don't know what you'd do if both stages had scores. I'd guess you'd have to manually move the scores over).

There are still some issues where it seems 1.2.12 and 1.2.17 don't want to sync and Eugene will be looking into that.

Although we all get pissed off with Eugene and other stuff that happens with PractiScore I have to say his support over the weekend was outstanding and as a MD I'm very thankful he provided it.

If you ever end up with two a shooter registered twice on a scoring tablet and they have scores under both names you can merge the two separate records into one by marking them as a walk on. This will combine the two records into one on the scoring tablet. Once you sync on the master repeat the process and you should end up with a single record.

This is a good hint, thanks for posting it.

We ran our USPSA match Sunday with the master Android on 1.2.17 and the Nooks ok 1.2.15, with no sync problems at all.

From what I am seeing here it sounds like 1.2.17 is solid. I am going to set up three nooks on it and run a ghost match at home and make sure EVERYTHING I need to run USPSA runs. I think I might keep my base set of 9 on 1.2.12 until after the next match though, just in case.

Going to run our monthly USPSA match with 1.2.17 on the Master (Nexus 7) and the Nooks. Also will be running iOS version 1.63 on my iPhone which is what I use to sync with the Nooks while the match is in progress.

Edited by jdphotoguy

Ok-- hear is the story-----

ALL android setup, a series of scores would not sync..

I am gathering more details but it looks like this bug:

https://practiscore.com/bugs/view.php?id=367

resolved in 1.2.18

I'll have the other android files tomorrow and will duplicate it..

IF you have an iOS master and android tablets you are fine.. BUT if all android you may have problems...

I have not tested the option yet of exporting a match to the psc file and then importing it on another device to see if it overwrites.. but that is an option to test..

As soon as I have more details I'll post it...

Linda Chico will also be posting a detailed writeup as to what happened as time permits.. they were up to 1 AM getting stuff done and now she is writing emails to mail awards etc..

OK, my attempt to use 1.2.17 on all the scoring devices and Master worked fine. Even threw an iPhone running 1.63 in the mix with no issues.

Can you provide details of android device type, # of competitors stages etc?

<mucho snippage>

I reported that bug after the issues I had during our last steel challenge match. I didn't get any details from Linda on the exact synch problems we had at the SC match but I do know having two stages (3 and 4) back-to-back with the same number of targets most likely caused scoring problems. The important thing is to get the problems documented and logged into Mantis so they can be investigated.

I reported that bug after the issues I had during our last steel challenge match. I didn't get any details from Linda on the exact synch problems we had at the SC match but I do know having two stages (3 and 4) back-to-back with the same number of targets most likely caused scoring problems. The important thing is to get the problems documented and logged into Mantis so they can be investigated.

I'm gathering all the exports with Linda and Julie and will be trying to reproduce and then passing on to mantis. Already sent an email to Ken and got a reply.

Also got another occurrence from a local match in another section that I'm looking at.

They said after several sync attempts the scores went.

OK, my attempt to use 1.2.17 on all the scoring devices and Master worked fine. Even threw an iPhone running 1.63 in the mix with no issues.

We had 57 competitors, with 6 stages. Used 6 NSTs and a first gen Nexus 7, all running 1.2.17.

Only issue was I wanted to sync the Nooks to a second Nexus 7 running 1.2.12, but it would not sync with the devices running 1.2.17.

We had 57 competitors, with 6 stages. Used 6 NSTs and a first gen Nexus 7, all running 1.2.17.

Only issue was I wanted to sync the Nooks to a second Nexus 7 running 1.2.12, but it would not sync with the devices running 1.2.17.

Ok. Somewhere Eugene or someone else commented that 1.2.12 will not sync to anything about 1.2.15 IIRC..... The database format changed.

Ok. Somewhere Eugene or someone else commented that 1.2.12 will not sync to anything about 1.2.15 IIRC..... The database format changed.
Yeah I did recall about the syncing issue with 1.2.12 and 1.2.17, but did not know it was due to a database format change. Edited by jdphotoguy