Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PractiScore 1.2.17 Released

ZackJones

OK, my attempt to use 1.2.17 on all the scoring devices and Master worked fine. Even threw an iPhone running 1.63 in the mix with no issues.

Can you provide details of android device type, # of competitors stages etc?
We had 57 competitors, with 6 stages. Used 6 NSTs and a first gen Nexus 7, all running 1.2.17.

Only issue was I wanted to sync the Nooks to a second Nexus 7 running 1.2.12, but it would not sync with the devices running 1.2.17.

Ok. Somewhere Eugene or someone else commented that 1.2.12 will not sync to anything about 1.2.15 IIRC..... The database format changed.
Yeah I did recall about the syncing issue with 1.2.12 and 1.2.17, but did not know it was due to a database format change.

I think the actual phrase I was told is data format not database. But it is likely a database layout kinda thing.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, my attempt to use 1.2.17 on all the scoring devices and Master worked fine. Even threw an iPhone running 1.63 in the mix with no issues.

Can you provide details of android device type, # of competitors stages etc?
We had 57 competitors, with 6 stages. Used 6 NSTs and a first gen Nexus 7, all running 1.2.17.

Only issue was I wanted to sync the Nooks to a second Nexus 7 running 1.2.12, but it would not sync with the devices running 1.2.17.

Ok. Somewhere Eugene or someone else commented that 1.2.12 will not sync to anything about 1.2.15 IIRC..... The database format changed.
Yeah I did recall about the syncing issue with 1.2.12 and 1.2.17, but did not know it was due to a database format change.

I loaded .17 on a nook and synced our last match to it from a .12 nook. Not sure if it would work the other way. I plan to run a 'test' match with 4 nooks, 1 as a master and 3 as stages. I'll keep the stages short and only enter as limited number of shooters.

I'm gathering all the exports with Linda and Julie and will be trying to reproduce and then passing on to mantis. Already sent an email to Ken and got a reply.

Also got another occurrence from a local match in another section that I'm looking at.

They said after several sync attempts the scores went.

I've received contradicting reports about this. One was saying that they could not sync 1.2.17 to 1.2.17 and the only way to get around that was to reinstall Practiscore app on device. I wasn't been able to reproduce this and would appreciate if someone would email us the exact steps how to reproduce it. Right I can't think of anything that would require app reinstall in order to fix the match sync. If match data structure was broken (e.g. after going back and forth between 1.2.12, ios app and 1.2.17) it might required to delete the broken match from the source device you're trying to pull from (you can still export/backup match form both devices and send them to us if it doesn't sync 1.2.17 to 1.2.17).

Ok. Somewhere Eugene or someone else commented that 1.2.12 will not sync to anything about 1.2.15 IIRC

You can't pull match from 1.2.17 to 1.2.12. This wasn't intentional and will be fixed in 1.2.18. But it does work the other way around. So, you can wait for 1.2.18 or update all devices either to 1.2.17 or 1.2.12 (if you prefer an old and unsupported app).

I have no capacity to test all permutations of app versions and if you want to run your match on a mixed version setup (even android + ios), please do some basic functionality testing at least several days before your match.

For the record, android 1.2.x versions (and current ios app) won't be able to pull matches from 1.3.x android app (and corresponding ios), so you have to plan to update your devices at some point. We have to do that in order to support several features being requested for a long time.

I'm gathering all the exports with Linda and Julie and will be trying to reproduce and then passing on to mantis. Already sent an email to Ken and got a reply.

Also got another occurrence from a local match in another section that I'm looking at.

They said after several sync attempts the scores went.

I've received contradicting reports about this. One was saying that they could not sync 1.2.17 to 1.2.17 and the only way to get around that was to reinstall Practiscore app on device. I wasn't been able to reproduce this and would appreciate if someone would email us the exact steps how to reproduce it. Right I can't think of anything that would require app reinstall in order to fix the match sync. If match data structure was broken (e.g. after going back and forth between 1.2.12, ios app and 1.2.17) it might required to delete the broken match from the source device you're trying to pull from (you can still export/backup match form both devices and send them to us if it doesn't sync 1.2.17 to 1.2.17).

Ok. Somewhere Eugene or someone else commented that 1.2.12 will not sync to anything about 1.2.15 IIRC

You can't pull match from 1.2.17 to 1.2.12. This wasn't intentional and will be fixed in 1.2.18. But it does work the other way around. So, you can wait for 1.2.18 or update all devices either to 1.2.17 or 1.2.12 (if you prefer an old and unsupported app).

I have no capacity to test all permutations of app versions and if you want to run your match on a mixed version setup (even android + ios), please do some basic functionality testing at least several days before your match.

For the record, android 1.2.x versions (and current ios app) won't be able to pull matches from 1.3.x android app (and corresponding ios), so you have to plan to update your devices at some point. We have to do that in order to support several features being requested for a long time.

Do you have dates on 1.3 and 1.2.18 releases?

Email to support address if you'd like to receive pre-releases. No timeframe for 1.3. But there isn't anything critical in 1.2.18, the most critical issue can be fixed by replacing 1.2.12 with 1.2.17...

This is big. Hopefully lots of folks will be willing to help test this when the time comes.

This past weekend I ran a Steel Challenge Match using 1.2.17 on 3 Nooks as scoring devices and 1 android tablet as a master device. We got all the sync's to work, but had to wait on some of the devices to show up in the sync list. Once they did, sync worked correctly.

This is big. Hopefully lots of folks will be willing to help test this when the time comes.

Indeed. Maybe even some who haven't tested before.

Anyway, we ran 1.2.17 on the stages yesterday (USPSA, 42 guys, 6 stages) with 1.6.3 as the master, and all went well. (I was watching it closely, looking for ANTYHING!) So long as iOS is the master, you should do all right, it seems. I don't know if Cherokee or Riverbend will try it or stay with 1.2.15. Whatever version you run, I've never though it a good idea to run mixed versions of ANTYHING in a network like this.

OK< Am I reading/understanding this correctly? Android, read Nooks, is getting an update to 1.3? Will our Nooks be updatable? Can we look forward some sort of app to handle the update? I hope we will maintain a solid version that runs on 1.2 until such time as we have both a solid and straight forward way to update our Nooks and a Version of PS that is as solid as the version we'll be leaving behind.

Whenever 1.3 comes out, the update process should be no different than it would be from a prior version to 1.2.17. Simply download the .apk, get it over to your nooks (Dropbox is the preferred method but you can also just put it directly on a microsd card), and then simply tap on and install from the .apk file.

Whenever 1.3 comes out, the update process should be no different than it would be from a prior version to 1.2.17. Simply download the .apk, get it over to your nooks (Dropbox is the preferred method but you can also just put it directly on a microsd card), and then simply tap on and install from the .apk file.

My preferred method is USB cable plugged into my PC -- those little micro SD cards have a way of disappearing on my desk like my left socks. Just remember where you put it, and be sure to go through the proper "eject" sequence in Windows.

I hear you on the tiny little cards and my fat fingers. That's why I buy a $3 card for each nook, install it once, and LEAVE it there. Then Dropbox is always ready to use and I can update to the next good release wirelessly and without effort.

Edited by wgnoyes

Email to support address if you'd like to receive pre-releases. No timeframe for 1.3. But there isn't anything critical in 1.2.18, the most critical issue can be fixed by replacing 1.2.12 with 1.2.17...

Is the USPSA member number autopopulate thing in the "enter shooters" screen going to fixed in .18?

I'm going to toss out an observation here. No matter how hard anyone tries, there will always be some bugs that get by testing and into a general release. This is true of every software program ever made - even ones created by a single user for their own use. That's because it's nearly impossible to fully test software unless you use it in a real life production environment.

I develop database software and all work is done in a mock up and tested by me to make sure it does what it's supposed to. Whenever possible, I get the end user(s) to check the end result. But for every 10 things that go without a hitch, there's one that falls on it's little beak. And invariably it's because there was something I did not or could not test. I cannot reproduce everything that can happen because I'm a developer not a user and the user is going to do things unexpected.

In the case of software like Practiscore, you can add in the factor that every user (club) has a different setup and a different mode of operation and different "requirements". This makes it pretty darn tough to test. And having been a beta tester for the better part of 25yrs, I can also tell you that there's often very little that I can do to test software other than to do a quick, "Yup, it doesn't blow up." type of test.

Often, the only thing I am testing is to see if some problem I had has been fixed or to check some new function as best as I can. But things will get past me. The last big upgrade I did to my database software had to be rolled back because I found that there was something that had changed that was going to require about a weeks work on my largest application to deal with. I am, possibly, the only person with this particular set of circumstances so I'm going to have to bite the bullet sooner or later. The lead software developer is a very good friend of mine and the best he can say is "Sorry about that but you understand why this change was necessary.", which I do. I just don't have to like it.

Ok so I loaded the new version 1.2.17 on 3 nooks (thank you jc and bill for the Dropbox method) for testing. Using a iPad at 1.63 for master and nooks for scoring entry of time plus points, here's what I found.

Tested small match of 10 shooters and 4 stages.

All went well except 3 things:

Got a message of a crash. But I clecked thru to send report and nothing seemed to be wrong in the match being scored??? Not sure what's up with that but dismissed it and moved on. I didn't note were I was in Practiscore when this happened.

Posted scores to Practiscore.com and several divisions would not show division results. Reported to Mantis and received email that a fix is in the works and will be included in an upcoming rev.

Sync. Biggest problem I had with this version, not a huge problem, more of an annoyance than anything. On trying to sync nooks for match and match shooters. Nooks would find the iPad for sync but when loading match data nooks would just sit with the refresh circle going round and round. They would eventually time out. I found that if I would toggle back and forth between choosing the iPad and if the nook didn't load match data quickly back to the sync screen, about he third time the nook would load the match data. Sorta like turning it on and off quickly helped??? This is not a show stopper. Everything else went smoothly.

I,ll use 1.2.17 at next months 3 G match.

Thanks

I think a lot of this is affected by the wireless router in use. I have an old linksys wrt54g router and the nooks (1.2.17 and prior releases) can take a while to find the iPad (1.63) when connected on that device. Changing over to whatever it is that Atlanta 3Gun has up their flag pole to cover the entire range causes everything to find everything else in fairly short order. Going the other way (nook to iPad) runs well regardless of the router in use.

Got a message of a crash. But I clecked thru to send report and nothing seemed to be wrong in the match being scored??? Not sure what's up with that but dismissed it and moved on. I didn't note were I was in Practiscore when this happened.

The NST's can't send email so the bug report doesn't go anywhere. About the only thing you can do is try to recreate it again and write down the steps.

Sync. Biggest problem I had with this version, not a huge problem, more of an annoyance than anything. On trying to sync nooks for match and match shooters. Nooks would find the iPad for sync but when loading match data nooks would just sit with the refresh circle going round and round. They would eventually time out. I found that if I would toggle back and forth between choosing the iPad and if the nook didn't load match data quickly back to the sync screen, about he third time the nook would load the match data. Sorta like turning it on and off quickly helped??? This is not a show stopper. Everything else went smoothly.

Sometimes going back one screen from the screen where it searches for devices and then back to screen where the devices are listed helps. Once the match starts though I only do a sync from the master to pull scores.

There's an app that supposedly lets you send reports that would otherwise be emailed or printed, to a file on the microsd card instead.

Yes, sometimes backing out and going back into the sync screen does help, for whatever reason.

The NST's can't send email so the bug report doesn't go anywhere. About the only thing you can do is try to recreate it again and write down the steps.

This is not true. NST can send emails as long as you have email app installed.

It is a whole different story that the NST rooting package you guys are using is deliberately choose to not include an email app (or any other sharing options) into the package.

...which is why you suggested adding the sendto sd app. We didn't know about the sendto app. I haven't broached the subject with Chris yet.

Really, email is useless on a nook at the range. You'll probably have a wifi network with no internet access which blows email out of the water, and frankly, the misbehaving nook at the time of the incident will be in use on a stage, where people are going to be far more interested in continuing the match rather than bit-twiddling with the device.

Now, if YOU could DETECT the presence of the corresponding app and automatically format an email to be sent later and/or text file for saving, THAT would be useful, don't you agree?

By the way, take a look at practiscore.com. rootnscoreit is listed as the go-to solution for rooting a nook in no less than 3 different places, which to me makes it the official package for this system and platform.

Plenty of ranges have internet access, especially now that there are so many people with smartphone hotspot capabilities. I understand you don't have coverage at your range Bill, but let's not drive the direction of the software based on your atypical situation.