Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PractiScore 1.2.17 Released

ZackJones

Hey Bill, is USPSA actually spending money on it? Because if euxx isn't getting payed, and payed WELL, all you are doing is guaranteeing that he will give up trying to please you and we'll end up with another piece of unmaintained software

I do wish you would stop.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a programmer myself, I'd like to also ask that we slow things down just a bit and focus on the immediate requirements. We are rapidly getting into the kind of feature creep that can drown a project like this. The more advanced users are always asking for things that are well beyond the scope of what's needed for the 80% of users. As a result, some things can get left behind and additional issues (problems) can be introduced.

I always warn customers of this and tell them that the first 80% of a job is going to take 80% of the available time and resources, but the remaining 20% is likely going to take another 80% of the available time and resources.

As a programmer myself, I'd like to also ask that we slow things down just a bit and focus on the immediate requirements. We are rapidly getting into the kind of feature creep that can drown a project like this. The more advanced users are always asking for things that are well beyond the scope of what's needed for the 80% of users. As a result, some things can get left behind and additional issues (problems) can be introduced.

Excellent points Graham. Posting suggestions via the proper channels is great, and hopefully the devs will get to the point where they can lay out a more formal roadmap of planned features, priorities, etc.

• 1 month later...

Sheesh Bill... OUR scoring system? Where do you get off?

Why can't you just politely request something instead of being so combative all the time? Why not submit a request for your improvements like everyone else does, instead of attacking the developer at every possible chance, just because you happen not to get along with him? You need to take a step back and realize how your indignant tone comes across, and how it's not helpful to USPSA, Practiscore, or anything else. Just because you didn't get the answer you wanted doesn't make it okay to lash out like a spoiled 3 year old brat.

Technical people can be kind of tonedeaf, especially in discussions like this. Just because someone sounds like a jerkface in a forum post doesn't mean they're malicious.

I always warn customers of this and tell them that the first 80% of a job is going to take 80% of the available time and resources, but the remaining 20% is likely going to take another 80% of the available time and resources.

YUUUUUUP.

This may be a dumb question but I've searched and I haven't found an answer to it: if Practiscore is a free app, is there any reason that the developers can't release the source code? People could hack in their own features so they can comfortably shoot matches on top of Mount Olympus or wherever.

E: YIKES thread necromancy sorry.

Edited by perlslacker

No, not rude at all! As you say, worst they can say is no.

Be aware that, really and truly, there are two different apps called Practiscore. One runs on iOS, the other runs on Android. They do NOT share source code; in many cases, they don't even run or look alike.

Edited by wgnoyes

• 3 weeks later...

I know I'm late to the game here, but we finally ran 1.2.18 at a match. No new issues. Everything went smooth.

BUT -- two old issues came up. Both have to do with the export of the shooter registration information. I always get the error about the shooter numbers being misaligned (or, whatever that error message says). It seems odd that the only way to get the window to pop up that fixes this is to go through the export directly from the tablet. Additionally, once I do export, EZWS gives me an error about a shooter's USPSA #. It would be awesome if there was a way to easily validate those in-app (other than having to scan through all of the shooters manually to see if someone accidentally put a space or a dash).

All in all -- App is working great. Even with the little issues, it sure beats the heck out of manually inputting scores to EZWS from paper scoresheets.