Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1x Scope for limited

dkynoch

I am new to shooting three gun. I started last summer. I am signed up to shoot Iron man in limited and planning on using a scope. I bought a Sightron 1x20 muzzle loader scope with a duplex reticle. I have had some problems with it because the reticle covers up a lot of the target so I tilted the scope at 45 degrees so it is a X instead of a cross hair. I sighted it in so that a 100 yard zero is just in the bottom of the V that the X makes.

Have any of you used a different scope and had good success? I know a lot of guys use the Leupold prismatic scopes, but I didn't want to spend that much.

Dave

really hard to beat an eotech for limited, i think if you are only using 1x then you will want a dot vs a scope...

Except for those of us with astigmatism. I went from eotech, to aimpoint, to prismatic. For my eyes, the prismatic is the winner hands down.

Depends on your eyes and distances involved, from my limited experience. I like circles with dots (not dots alone) so the Aimpoint isn't exactly my style. My vision doesn't work quite as fast with an Aimpoint style but that's a quirk of how my eyes and brain do visual fusion. It's another reason I like the illuminated reticle in my Vortex Viper PST 1-4x when shooting at close range. Similar to a circle and a dot.

Prismatic is a very clean reticle when I owned it. I just hated the base and mount and moved to Open anyway. Sold it to someone that didn't mind the hassles. But it's sharp and clear.

I run an EOtech on my Open shotgun. Very relaxed both-eyes-open shooting.

On a more defense, combat, or short range carbine, I'd do the same EOtech.

If I had to do longer range (200+ yards) Limited rifle I might figure out a way to do a Prismatic. Tough call since the shorter shots might go faster for me with the EOtech. Longer shots would be easier, I suspect. A trade-off.

Technologically I like Aimpoints too, but they don't optically interface well with me. But that's a problem with *me* and my visual system, not the scopes.

Edited by michael1778

really hard to beat an eotech for limited, i think if you are only using 1x then you will want a dot vs a scope...

Except for those of us with astigmatism. I went from eotech, to aimpoint, to prismatic. For my eyes, the prismatic is the winner hands down.

yeah i dont know about that... yet... im 29 and still have 20 20, but family history dictates ill have terrible vision by 40

The Burris prismatic was my first choice. I like the Vortex but I just found out about it yesterday. I called Burris and they said they won't have the 1x version out until August so that is out. I may look at the aimpoint pro.

Ya, the spitfire is out. It runs about $299. has CDC reticle like prismatic. Also has a decent mount/riser. Looked one over at SHOT.

I don't own one, don't plan on buying one, dots in limited can make you weak....but

if I was in the market, this would be my choice.

Eotech would be second.

If I had to do longer range (200+ yards) Limited rifle I might figure out a way to do a Prismatic. Tough call since the shorter shots might go faster for me with the EOtech. Longer shots would be easier, I suspect. A trade-off.

That raises an interesting question... Would it be legal in Irons to use actual straight irons on top and a 1x red dot on an offset mount like an Open shooter? You could have the best Irons distance set up (peep, ghost ring, diopter, whatever) and still have a really fast speed sight for out to 25 or 35 yards.

Huge fan of the Prismatic- have three of them now. Hard to beat that or an EoTech. Casanova shoots the Pris and is hands doe the best limited shooter out there now. Get the DCD reticle if you go that route.

Optic (or irons) selection for limited is a far more personal choice than it is for scope tac or open. What works best for one may not work at all for another. The only way to know what will and what won't work is to try things out. Just saying that shooter X uses this so it must be the shiz is doing a huge disservice to those that make decisions based on what they read on the inter webs. Here are the most common options, I recommend that you spend some time behind each before plunking down your cash.

Irons

peep rear is most common, with a thinned blade as far out as possible, or less common with a globe front

Prismatic

CDC reticle with or without illumination

Aimpoint

2 MOA dot preferred

Eotech

these don't work at all for me so I can't offer any suggestions, but for others they work really well

I am sure there are plenty more, but these seem to be the leading options. Borrow and demo until you figure out what you like. I will also be shooting limited at the IM so if you want me to bring an extra set up for you to play with just send me a PM. I have everything but the Eotech.

Stlead, Thanks for the advise. I will have to get with you at Ironman and see your set up. I am pretty happy with my set up now. I just thought that I would see what other guys are using. My competitive shooting started in NRA High power. I never have really liked post front sights so there is a start.

Dave

I tried a few optics. Eotech, C-More, Sparc, Aimpoint Pro. The PRO is hands down the best. The EO has that crappy grainy reticle like blowing up a 2 mp camera image to a poster size. The C-More has some great advantages but is a PITA to zero or change zero and a nightmare in the rain. The Sparc has a good 2moa dot but the lens is too small and dark. The PRO has great adjustments, awesome clear and crisp dot that is daytime visible, solid as a rock, and doesn't eat batteries like the other three.

Craig.

I still prefer iron sights to all other 1x options, but the more I use an Eotech the more I like it. (For under 250 yards anyway).

There is no best answer. Pick one and practice with it, and you'll be a better shooter than a guy who keeps switching around his sight system looking for one the "works best".

Bryan,

Thats what I have decided to do. I am just going to stick with my 1x sightron mounted sideways. I can see as good as any 1x I have looked through and I think the more important think to do is practice.

I am a big fan of the Pris with the DCD reticle. Fast on close up paper and not a lot of clutter in the reticle. I looked at James Cassanova's before I settled on one and now I have three. As long as you practice and know your holdovers it's great. Limited past 250-300 yards is tough no matter what you choose.

Bryan 45 is right though. Enough practice will solve a lot.