Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder - Is there one most used for 9 mm

jimreed1948

VV320 is the preferred 9mm powder with the guys I shoot with. I've never tried any due to availability and cost. I run AA#5 almost exclusively. Have a few lbs of True Blue on hand in case I run out of the AA#5.

Winchester 231 and Hodgon HP38 , (which is the exact same thing , in fact Hogdon makes 231 for Winchester) , is all I've ever used for the simple fact if my gunshop was out of 231 , i could use the HP38. Now that 231 and hp38 is no longer is available , Titegroup seems to be the the way way to go (until that dries up)

WST is current favorite because I have 16 pounds of it on the bench. I like VVn320 but cant find it at the moment. Power Pistol is a great powder that is easy to work up very accurate loads with. However its louder than others...

Unless you're living in a truly special area with unicorn powder fairies, it doesn't matter what's preferred, more a case of 'what will work?'

I'm going to assume you're loading on a progressive with a powder measure, so here's some ball/decently measuring options for 9mm...also assuming you're shooting Minor.

Titegroup
IMR 7625
Universal Clays
Ramshot Silhouette
WSF
w231 - same as hp38
HP38 - same as w231, may be slightly cheaper
HS6
VV N320($$$)
CFE Pistol (burn rate ~AutoComp, Silhouette)
IMR SR4756 - low flash
WST
N330
3N38
3N37
Ramshot Zip (burn rate just above 231, 7625)
Ramshot true blue
Ramshot competition (faster than TG)
alliant e3 (faster than TG)
bullseye - high flash, a bit dirty
AA7 (but uses a lot of powder/charge)
power pistol - lot of muzzle flash

Does anyone know if there is a powder that is used more often in 9 mm loading than any others.

These days, when finding powder on the shelves of any sporting goods store seems like an impossibility, a lot of people have been trying out whatever powder they can find in stock. However, when powder was plentiful (ah, the good ol' days), VV N320 & Titegroup seemed to be what most everyone preferred to load their 9mm cases with.

Really depends on bullet weight, plated, FMJ, lead. What bullet do you use? 231/HP-38 seems very poular along with Power Pistol. Seems like VV320 is most prized but not for me. At twice the price without twice the performance IMO. I like AA7 with 147 gr bullets. As far as the extra powder charge weight using AA7, an extra $.00046 added to the cost for 2 more grains of powder is irrelevant for me compared to the performance I get.

Edited by JLeeCZ

Everyone and their grandma uses Titegroup it seems and they choke and die when they cant find it.

There are plenty of pistol powders you can use for 9mm. Finding one you like is part of the fun.

Im currently using E3 and like it a lot. Ive used Red Dot, WSF, Bullseye, autocomp, and maybe a couple others and they all will throw a bullet just fine.