Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

titanium bcg's

rugerdawg

I am currently building a 3gun AR and can't help but notice the interest generated by lighter and lighter bcg's. I am using a JP 18" lw barrel w/ bolt,spikes dyna break, troy low profile gas block , JP full mass carrier with JP captured spring. I just ordered a lancer carbon fiber stock and rifle length extension tube to take advantage of a rifle length system. I am somewhat rethinking the lightweight carrier and an adjustable gas block to maximize the system. I know JP is the "man" it seems when talking lightweight carriers although it appears there are others out there. I found this company quite by accident and wondered if anyone else had tried or heard of them. http://www.toolcraftinc.com

I appreciate all comments or suggestions. I have to admit their price for a titanium carrier is tempting just to try it.

I may be mistaken but I think I saw a "spikes" titanium carrier somewhere that looked almost identical.

Thats what I thought when I saw it also.

I had a spikes BCG like that but it was NiB, not titanium.

wow that is a good price, i bet its like most stuff and you get what you pay for but try it out and let us know

I'd like to see one of them for sure

Edited by TRUBL

http://amalgamatedti.com/bcg.pdf

These guys have a ti bcg for $250 I think it's 6.75oz

Anyone have any experience with this company?

When I followed that PDF link, I read that it "Must be used with the Ti Buffer Tube Assembly". It didn't say how much that would be. So, the total system cost is unknown.

EDITED TO ADD:

Actually, I found this http://amalgamatedti.com/arms.html

The assembly is $100. They have receivers and hand guards, also

Edited by michael1778

Well I couldn't resist. I just ordered a titanium carrier from Toolcraft. They told me I should receive my order in about 4-6 weeks. I'll be sure and post a followup here to let you guys know how they perform. According to them the pic on their website is not the same as what they are selling. Their actual product will not have the holes in it. That carrier on their webpage is the one they made for another company. From what they told me, their carrier with gas key installed should weigh in at about 5.6 oz. I can't wait!!!!

I'll confirm the weight once I get it in my hands. I really wanted one of the Boomfabs, but that's just a little too much coin for me. If this one turns out to be as good as it seems, then the price point on it is pretty great by comparison. Not as light as the Boomfab, but seems like a much better value. Right now I have a Young Mfg Super light bcg in my rifle, run by a JP adj gas block, and have been happy with that so far. I have one of the Taccom ULW recoil buffers ready and waiting in my range bag and I'm excited to see how much further I can turn my gas down.

Well I couldn't resist. I just ordered a titanium carrier from Toolcraft. They told me I should receive my order in about 4-6 weeks. I'll be sure and post a followup here to let you guys know how they perform. According to them the pic on their website is not the same as what they are selling. Their actual product will not have the holes in it. That carrier on their webpage is the one they made for another company. From what they told me, their carrier with gas key installed should weigh in at about 5.6 oz. I can't wait!!!!

Toolcraft are sold out. did they have them instock when you ordered it or did you just call and they have you on a backorder list?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I received my titanium carrier from Toolcraft exactly 2 months after ordering, but I expected to wait 6 weeks, so no biggie there. I still haven't had a chance to go shoot with it yet, but I am very impressed with it so far. It is bronze anodized and weighs in at 5.5 ounces. I'll try to put up some pics later this evening.

The Spikes isn't that much lighter than the regular one, this one is THE BOMB:

www.boomfab.com

4.4 oz carrier, I put a JP hardened bolt in it. Best gas block is SLR , they have a locking detent so all you need to do is push in then turn, let up it auto locks.

they also have the lightest rails I have ever seen.

I agree that the Boomfab is probably the best LW carrier that money can buy rt now. However, for the price of 1 Boomfab I can buy 2, yes 2, Toolcraft titanium carriers that are a full ounce lighter than the JP and still have $100 left over to buy practice ammo or whatever. The minimal benefit I'll get just doesn't justify the cost of the Boomfab for me right now. If I'm ever good enough that 1oz in my carrier is holding me back, then I'll make that investment. I've got a long way to go before I get there.

Well spoken. I have heard many times different people state that they could out shoot their guns, they were waiting for it to cycle and catch up. Without being to rude, bul<>" T. If spending the money gives that mental edge that it is faster, then I would be glad for some one to send me some funds so I could have the .02 splits. I do believe that a good experienced shooter can feel a sluggish gun.

Any word on the fit of this carrier in the receiver? I know the JP's are supposed to be a lot tighter of a fit than other carriers. I'm all for saving money, but not if the extra money gets a better product.

• 1 month later...

gdcguns,

How much did you pay for your Toolcraft carrier?

I went to Toolcrafts site to look at the carrier and they refer you to http://www.crypticcoatings.com/coated-titanium-bolt-carrier-group/ where their titanium BCG is $450?? Do they sell it for cheaper if you call them direct? Boomfab is $480 for the carrier, so base on what you were saying about getting 2 tool crafts bcg's for 1 boomfab, something has changed.

I really hope they still sell them direct for cheaper than $450 cause I'd like to get one. I'll try calling them tomorrow to see. Keep you posted.