Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

KKM Barrel vs Stock Barrel test

ES13Raven

I'll test again, but this time:

1. Try the mag supported by a sandbag

2. Try wrists supported by a sandbag, gun not touching anything

3. Try different types of ammo

The mystery continues...

Went to the range today and tried the different methods, and different ammo. Here is what I found:

1. Different bench rest methods did not make much of a difference for me

2. 115gr ammo shoots about 6" left

3. Match grade slide lock did not make much difference

First I shot the AAA 147gr ammo using the different bench methods. Bottom row is stock barrel, top row is KKM. Left side is wrist support by sandbags, gun touching nothing. Right side is magazine supported by the sandbags. I take slow shots, trying to push the trigger directly to the rear and let the shot be a surprise (8" targets):

2SNspZT.png?1

Then I did the same 4-target test with 115gr ammo by AAA, and 115gr ammo by Winchester White Box. I won't bother posting the image, as I had to determine POI - which was 6" left with both brands ammo and both methods of bench rest. I made adjustments by aiming far right to see POI.

Next I tried T.R. Graham's Match Grade Slide Lock with the AAA 147gr ammo. This slide lock has a groove about half the size of stock, supposedly to help the barrel lock up tighter. Stock on bottom, MGSL on top:

yGZvjru.png?1

Results: Not much improvement that I can see:

u6qRkUu.png?1

I'm not sure what I should try next. This is getting expensive! :surprise:

Edited by ES13Raven

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you aiming center of mass? If you are... try holding at 6 O'clock. For most people it's a lot easier to hold consistently when they use a 6 O hold.

When you are shooting for groups, as long as it is landing on paper where you can record the group size, it doesn't really matter if you hit the black or not.

Are you aiming center of mass? If you are... try holding at 6 O'clock. For most people it's a lot easier to hold consistently when they use a 6 O hold.

When you are shooting for groups, as long as it is landing on paper where you can record the group size, it doesn't really matter if you hit the black or not.

Pumpkin on a post, 6 oclock, tends to give me the best groups.

The upper right group in the first pic doesn't look too bad. You might try playing with the load a little and see if that improves/makes worse. Hang in there, you'll get it !!

He's using factory ammo....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

IMO, if you wish to shoot 147gr loads, then stick with that bullet weight for testing. I still think there's an issue that your pistol just doesn't shoot the AA&A loads in either barrel well, but that shouldn't deter you from moving forward with the 147's.

Also, if you haven't tried it yet, use a rest that will support the muzzle (dust cover) and the magazine. Don't think your groups could get any worse. ;)

There are also several major ammo manufacturers that offer 147gr factory loaded rounds with most being close to sub-sonic.

Good luck!

If you go again, take some PMC 124 Gr Bronze and some Blazer Brass 115 Gr.. Those 2 ammo's shoot GREAT 2" groups at 18 yards in all my Glocks and my friends Glocks. He's the one that told me about them. For some reason they work great. All with Stock Glock Barrels..

If you go again, take some PMC 124 Gr Bronze and some Blazer Brass 115 Gr.. Those 2 ammo's shoot GREAT 2" groups at 18 yards in all my Glocks and my friends Glocks. He's the one that told me about them. For some reason they work great. All with Stock Glock Barrels..

The 124gr. Blazer Brass shoots quite well also.

I was ready to buy a KKM barrel but I decided to give the 34 stock barrel one last chance. I used Federal 115 gr FMJ (not the plated crap) and I was very satisfied with what I got offhand at 25 yards. Not sure what ammo I used before.

Just in case this gives you any ideas for things to try, off the top of my head the things I did differently this time versus last time were:

-installed non-extended slide release

-used different ammo

-I shot offhand instead of supported on bench

-tightened the front sight with some more blue loctite

-drank some coffee

-wiped off slide lock

-wiped off locking block

Best of luck in getting your 34 to shoot like you want it to

Stician:

Starting development work on this very bullet/powder combo for my G17G4 with a Bar Sto; and my Son's G17G4 with a KKM.

You mind sharing your load specifics....especially your OAL?

Thank you Sir!

Stician:

Starting development work on this very bullet/powder combo for my G17G4 with a Bar Sto; and my Son's G17G4 with a KKM.

Thank you Sir!

OAL is somewhere between 1.14-1.145"

Titegroup. Accurate #2. N320 all yield similar results.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Stician:

Thank you Sir!

OAL is somewhere between 1.14-1.145"

Titegroup. Accurate #2. N320 all yield similar results.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'm running 147's at 1.120, so I'll work up some test loads and go from there. Don't have any TG or AA#2; but do have enough N320 left to see how it works out.....

Thanks!

Testing Part 3:

Went to the range today to test out the 6 o'clock hold and this Pistolero rest by Caldwell. All shots were taken using this:

dUGanHm.jpg?1

Shot the stock barrel first with the & AAA 147gr ammo at 25 yards on a 12" target (red part is 6"). Still all over the place:

fKqhpNf.png?1

Circled my hits and put the KKM barrel in. I knew the KKM was hitting high before, so I used a 6 o'clock hold for the next 5 shots.

For the people saying "its the Indian, not the arrow" etc. One flyer, but pretty good group at 25 yards if you ask me:

QftDVWT.png?1

More KKM with a 6 o'clock hold (6" target):

47fhWg5.png?1

yna2BUf.png?1

The stock barrel was hitting low with a 6 o'clock hold (as you can see above) and not grouping well.

I still plan on having someone else shoot my G34 at 25 yards to take myself out of the equation. I also plan on replacing parts to rule them out: slide lock, slide lock spring, locking block etc.

Where were you holding the sights at on the 6 oclock? At the bottom of the solid orange ring or the bottom of the solid white in the middle? Or was it at the bottom of the entire target? Looks like a 1" group (minus the flyer)!

Where were you holding the sights at on the 6 oclock? At the bottom of the solid orange ring or the bottom of the solid white in the middle? Or was it at the bottom of the entire target? Looks like a 1" group (minus the flyer)!

At the bottom of the orange. Same thing with the black shoot-n-c targets. I was surprised when I walked up to the target and saw the tight group. I couldn't tell where they hit from 25 yards, like I can with the shoot-n-c.

It still bugs me that the stock barrel is so sporadic. I am going to change out the slide lock, slide lock spring, locking block and test again. There is another thread I came across during my research on the problem that said when guns are sent into Glock for accuracy problems - the first thing they do is replace the locking block.