Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

KKM Barrel vs Stock Barrel test

ES13Raven

After reading great reviews on the KKM from so many people, I got one for my G34 Gen4.

I took it to the range today and want to see if my groups would improve, and if it ran my ammo OK. I shoot Atlanta Arms & Ammo 9mm 147gr reloads (130pf on a G17).

I shot 100 rounds from a bench rest at 25 yards, and took precise trigger pulls. I shot about 40 from the Stock Barrel and 60 from the KKM. I took about 5 shots to the berm with the KKM before shots on target.

Here is my best group from the Stock Barrel (12" target):

vOUYRyp.png?1

Here is my best group from the KKM (12" target):

TkfNfpY.png?1

I was aiming for the bulls-eye on all shots.

It seems to me, my G34 likes the Stock barrel better. Anyone else experience this?

Edited by ES13Raven

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't tell from the picture which group is better. But the Kkm group seems high. Can u adjust your sights?

Besides the one flyer - the stock barrel grouped better. I don't have adjustable rear - I have the Sevigny sights. They seem dead on for the stock barrel.

Thank you for posting this. I have toyed with the idea of getting an aftermarket barrel but never really thought it would make a noticeable difference in accuracy to the point that most people assume it would.

Edited by AJE

You will probably get slightly better groups with a KKM barrel vs. an OEM barrel in a Gen 3 Glock.

It will be more difficult to improve on the Gen 4 Glocks which have a tighter lockup and are slightly more accurate than the Gen 3 Glocks.

If that is the best your kkm would do then there is another issue. At 25yrds those should be much much tighter even with a glock barrel. I will try to get some pics up this weekend.

Is your glock new?

While AA&A is a great company and produce adequate ammo for use in a stock Glock barrel, your KKM will have a match grade chamber and conventional rifling; and will more than likely benefit from different ammo as I found the same results when using my Bar Sto vs stock.

If you can find some other shooters that reload for the KKM barrels, see if they'll let you try a few of their rounds. Especially those that have developed a specific round for their barrel.

In my experience, once I developed the OAL for my Bar Sto using Zero 147g JHP, the Bar Sto produced much tighter groups vs the stock Glock barrel. However, this round will also shoot just fine with the stock barrel for GSSF minor PF competition.

HR

If that is the best your kkm would do then there is another issue. At 25yrds those should be much much tighter even with a glock barrel. I will try to get some pics up this weekend.

Is your glock new?

No, I've had it for about 6 months. I was shooting a Gen4 17 before that.

I hate to sound critical but both of those groups are too large. You may want to consider reshooting those groups with some other ammo.

Good idea. I shoot the AAA for matches though, so hopefully I can find a way to make this work.

The barrel isn't the problem here. A better barrel won't make you a better shooter. Once you learn to do your part, a KKM will be more accurate.

This was from a bench rest at 25 yards, while taking slow shots. I was making sure to have smooth trigger presses without disturbing the sight picture. I'm SSP & ESP Expert, so I don't think my technique is horrible. I think this is an ammo or barrel lockup issue.

The barrel isn't the problem here. A better barrel won't make you a better shooter. Once you learn to do your part, a KKM will be more accurate.

This was from a bench rest at 25 yards, while taking slow shots. I was making sure to have smooth trigger presses without disturbing the sight picture. I'm SSP & ESP Expert, so I don't think my technique is horrible. I think this is an ammo or barrel lockup issue.

Well your factory barrel should be hitting 4" groups at that distance. The KKM will cut that in half. Without a Ransom rest shooting "off the bench" doesn't rule out the shooter. Edited by Steven420

I'm thinking this could be a slide lock issue? Maybe the KKM has a tighter channel for the slide lock and isn't locking up right on this guy:

NgaBKTM.jpg

Maybe you cleaned it and put this in backwards?

It looks like your shooting with your eyes closed.. lol just messin with ya.