Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

KKM Barrel vs Stock Barrel test

ES13Raven

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.glockmeister.com/Glockmeister-Extended-Slide-Lock-For-All-GLOCKs-Except-G36/productinfo/GMEXTSL/

This is the only slide lock I've ever used and it's pretty tight.

ZEV makes one that's prolly better.

Has this gun always shot so poorly?

I shoot mainly SSP, so the slide lock can't be extended.

I have only shot out to 25 yards to find the correct front sight height and POA/POI for the AAA 147gr. I didn't pay attention to the groups.

This was about 3 weeks ago when I was checking rear sight alignment (moved it slightly left after this):

r5UyLvp.png?1

Since it wasn't a gunsmith version, I'm not really surprised of the result.

My Storm Lake drop in isn't giving an improvement over stock. But a KKM oversized barrel fitted by my gunsmith was a huge improvement over stock.

Drop ins will just allow you to shoot traditional lead with no worries. It's a hit or miss as to accuracy. The lock up remains loose with drop ins.

On your bench rest, how is the gun supported?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I'm seated at the bench, shooting the gun with my normal grip and the barrel is supported by the rest.

I've found that trying to support the front part of the lower end of a Glock with a rest causes erratic groups. I'd forgot this when I purchased a G17L and was getting similar groups but I played around with my support and started getting much better groups.

I was getting bad results when resting the magazine on sandbags. Resting the front was better. But I get better results just shooting freestyle. I can't figure why. I guess the ultimate option is a ransom rest....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I've found that trying to support the front part of the lower end of a Glock with a rest causes erratic groups. I'd forgot this when I purchased a G17L and was getting similar groups but I played around with my support and started getting much better groups.

Same for me. I don't recommend resting the dust cover on anything when grouping the gun.

I sighted my open glock 17 this morning at 25 yards, has a drop in KKM barrel, in the picture is the shooting rest I used. 124 grain MG with 4 grains of VV N 320. Consider squeezing the trigger slowly I think it may be your technique or bad ammo.post-30363-0-47685900-1400364587_thumb.j

Well, what is the proper procedure for supporting a glock?

Being polymer framed it can be weird, it messed with me at first too. Glocks aren't precision machinced works of art...they run. I usually do my group/zero practice from supported freestyle, i.e. the mag is resting on the bench. Over the years it gives me the best groups.

Regardless of other posts, the KKM will give better groups 99% of the time over stock, with a drop in.

For USPSA the stock is more accuracy than a body will ever need.

My best group results usually come from supporting the arm on a rest and having the magazine off the bench or shooting freestyle. After that would be using the bench to support the magazine. The least accurate and precise groups tend to be resting the dust cover on anything.

I use a sandbag to support my hands only. No part of the pistol touches the rest. I'm not the greatest pistol shooter but am able to get 3" to 4" groups at 25 yards this way and occasionally get a 2" group.

I recently purchased a Frankenstein G17L. Has a Lonewolf barrel and slide and with my standard load I was getting 8-12" groups from a sandbag supporting the gun on the dust cover. After changing to using a sandbag to only support my hand the groups shrunk to 5-6". I read this thread today so got off my duff and tried my new loads and now I'm down to 2-4" at 25 yards. Had to seat the bullet closer to the lands. Point is to try different ways of supporting the pistol and see if it helps. Your mileage may vary.

I sighted my open glock 17 this morning at 25 yards, has a drop in KKM barrel, in the picture is the shooting rest I used. 124 grain MG with 4 grains of VV N 320. Consider squeezing the trigger slowly I think it may be your technique or bad ammo.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

That's looks impressive! Is that a 4" circle or what?

My best group results usually come from supporting the arm on a rest and having the magazine off the bench or shooting freestyle. After that would be using the bench to support the magazine. The least accurate and precise groups tend to be resting the dust cover on anything.

I tried supporting by the magazine (with a dawson basepad) and the groups were bad and high. Shooting off the muzzle was better. It ended up just shooting by hand and got the best groups. Go figure.......... I wish I could justify buying a ransom rest. seems like the only way to really see what the pistol is capable of.....

post-48839-0-91789600-1400366193_thumb.j

Interesting, I would like to see someone else post up their 25 yard targets using the kkm barrel vs stock.

Not a KKM; but this might give some comparison.

G17G4, stock barrel:

string5Glk_zps663cb401.png

Same load with the Bar Sto barrel:

string2BarSto_zps6efd1781.png

25yds off a Caldwell rest with dust cover/mag supported. Might explain the flyers! ;)

It's a 3 inch circle, it's relatively easy with a delta point and a 3.5 pound trigger. I would never be able to group like that with iron sights

post-30363-0-26037800-1400366573_thumb.j

Edited by Mad Doc

Thank you

Interesting, I would like to see someone else post up their 25 yard targets using the kkm barrel vs stock.

Not a KKM; but this might give some comparison.

G17G4, stock barrel:

string5Glk_zps663cb401.png

Same load with the Bar Sto barrel:

string2BarSto_zps6efd1781.png

25yds off a Caldwell rest with dust cover/mag supported. Might explain the flyers! ;)

Maybe the dimensions of the slide are off if both barrels shoot like that

I also get some less than stellar groups with a 34 and I have been thinking about getting a KKM to fix the issue. I can shoot far better groups with other guns including other Glocks with the 5.5# connector. I really don't want to spend the money on one with no assurances so I am thinking of trying some other ammo, maybe trying the 5.5# connector in case the longer break of the 3.5# connector is throwing me off, and maybe even contacting Glock about it.

Well, what is the proper procedure for supporting a glock?

Being polymer framed it can be weird, it messed with me at first too. Glocks aren't precision machinced works of art...they run. I usually do my group/zero practice from supported freestyle, i.e. the mag is resting on the bench. Over the years it gives me the best groups.

I'll test again, but this time:

1. Try the mag supported by a sandbag

2. Try wrists supported by a sandbag, gun not touching anything

3. Try different types of ammo