Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My first AR build - Lightweight - a big thank you to the forum members

frsteve

Hi Folks,

This is my 4th post on the forum … long time lurker!

I’m not a 3-gun person, but I’ve learned so much from this forum and I wanted to share my “research” as a way to say “thank you!”.

ULTRALIGHT Rev.3 - Final Parts List - $1677 ... 77.10 ounces (4 lbs 13.1 ounces):

Mag Tactical Systems Upper Receiver ... $150.00 ... 4.80

Voodoo Innovations 16.5" Rifle Length Ultra Lite ... $190.00 ... 23.15

Standard Mil-Spec Barrel Nut ... $9.00 ... 1.30

Rainier Arms Mini Comp (RMC) + Crush Washer ... $50.00 ... 1.60

SLR Rifleworks DA7 Clamp-On ... $115.00 ... 1.40

Generic Rfile Length Gas Tube ... $10.00 ... 0.30

AP Custom Carbon Fiber Handguard 12.375" ... $136.00 ... 5.40

JP Enterprises LMOS BCG ... $335.00 ... 6.65

JP Enhanced Bolt (cam, firing ping, clip) ... $0.00 ... 2.10

Bravo Company MOD4 Medium Charging Handle ... $45.00 ... 1.25

Mag Tactical Systems Lower Receiver ... $180.00 ... 5.88

Mapgul K2 Grip ... $20.00 ... 3.00

Buffer Tube (included with ARUL-E) ... $0.00 ... 0

ARUL-E Fixed Stock ... $99.00 ... 5.00

Taccom3G ULW Buffer ... $25 ... 1.15

Damage Industries Buffer Spring ... $10.00 ... 1.85

PSA Lower Parts Kits ... $40.00 ... 5.50

ALG Defense ACT Fire Control ... $65.00 ... (weight in LPK)

JP Yellow Springs ... $12.00 ... (weight in LPK)

BADASS Ambi Safety (Standard/Short) ... $5 … 0.25

Kies Grip Screw Adjuster ... $15.00 ... (weight in LPK)

Magpul BAD Lever ... $26.00 ... 0.20

Bushnell TRS-25 ... $80.00 ... 4.00

UTG High Mount ... $12.00 ... 2.00

Raddlock Bullet Button … $36 … 0.20

There is a 0.12 ounce discrepancy from my spreadsheet and actual scale measurement (I’ll attribute that to lube, locktite, anti-seize, some grease and 120 rounds of Tula residue).

Feedback and Feelings:

- I'll be honest, when I saw the AP customs handguard, I was a bit disappointed. The diameter of this thing is way larger than the Midwest Industries SS-Gen2 that was on there before. It really makes the pencil barrel, look like a pencil barrel. With the MI handguard, its narrower diameter 3 o’clock to 9 o’clock (1.554”)and picatinny rail did a good job minimizing the pencil's look. The MI handguard has the same 6 o’clock to 12 o’clock diameter … 2.005”.

- The carbon fiber handguard does a great job deflecting the barrel and gas block heat from my hands. With the MI handguard, after dumping a few magazines, I could feel things heating up. It made me pick up a set of mechanix gloves for my range bag.

- The AP custom handguard diameter is not quad rail big, I can get my offhand to put the thumbnail to the first knuckle of the pointer finger ... so it wraps around well enough for control (2” diameter tube)

- The rifle points really fast, being so light, its really nice. (I have only experienced 4 different rifles and only been shooting for 8 months ... limited experience)

- Combination of Adjustable Gas Block, Lightweight BCG and Buffer Setup, comp and Rifle Length Gas … this is a incredibly soft shooting rifle. Nose and upper lip are pressed on against the charging handle for bench shooting. No big deal, its very gentle "kiss". :)

- Medium Rise Mount for the Red Dot seems to be the best for my specific cheek weld (no need for 1/3 lower co-witness since there are no BUIS on this build) and I found that I sit lower using the ARUL-E vs. my various Magpul stocks (MOE, CTR, ACS).

- While dialing in the gas block, the BCG got stuck (too low of a setting) … I had to mortar-man the rifle on the concrete floor … 25-30 times over the 3 times it got stuck. Now its cycling just fine with no FTF/FTE (only 100 rounds in this state so far). I was a little worried about the magnesium upper/lower (I’ve read the stories), but now I’m not so worried. I had to really whack the crap out of it, to get the BCG to let go. I was ready to go home with a broke gun.

- I’m running 10 clicks FROM full close on the SLR Rifleworks Sentry-7 (12 clicks appears to be full open)

More Lightening Options:

- switch to a titanium BCG or find one of those rainbow unicorns … discontinued JP Aluminum BCG.

- shorten the handguard

- drill holes in things?

Doing It For Less (options, I learned after purchasing stuff):

- Replace JP LMOS BCG with the RubberCityArmory Lightweight BCG (you save $80 and only gain 1 ounce)

- You don't need (but I like): Magpul BAD Lever, BAD-@SS Ambi-Safety, ALG ACT Fire Control, JP Yellow Springs, Damage Industries Buffer Spring, BCM Mod4 Charging Handle, Rainier Arms RMC (since its a 16.5" barrel), Magpul K2 Grip --> that'll save you $296 and little/no weight change.

Have I gone past the point of diminishing returns … yes, but it was fun doing the research. :)

I've been trying to link pictures from imageshack, but I do not have enough posts to do that ... yet. (YAY ... i can reply with links and pictures ... woohoo)

Once again … I want to say thanks to the forum members for all the knowledge you had shared in the past … it was a great help for me. I just want to repay the favor.

Edited by frsteve

With the comp (77.10 ounces —> 4 lbs 13.1 ounces):

2ikl.jpg

Without the comp (75.60 ounces —> 4 lbs 11.6 ounces):

f176.jpg

The distance between trigger and the middle of the buttstock is 10.75” (you’ll probably want a steeper angle grip, i’m using a Magpul K2):

1t4n.jpg

The gas block sticks out in front of the 12.375” AP Custom Standard Handguard (not sure about that look or protection for the gas block):

eeof.jpg

Closer View:

f6gqo.jpg

Edited by frsteve

It shoots better than I’m currently capable of (6” Shoot N See Target):

50 Yard Zero - 50 Yards Out - Red Dot - 5 shot group #1 (sorry for all the stickers, I was zero'ing in the red dot)

8p0c.jpg

50 Yard Zero - 50 Yards Out - Red Dot - 5 shot group #2 (sorry for the two stickers, the new guy next to me shot my targets - argh! That was my tightest group ever!):

uwcy.jpg

50 Yard Zero - 50 Yards Out - Red Dot - 10 shot group #3

l79l.jpg

50 Yard Zero - 50 Yards Out - Red Dot - 10 shot group #4

znif.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the slow replies ... Too much work.

The RMC comp is nicer than no comp and you have to focus on your technique to keep it on a man sized target at 100yds. It will pull off target by a foot (up and right ... I'm right handed).

The pws fsc556 was a bit more effective. It took less "technique" and if you're aiming at center mass, it might pop up to its shoulder.

I'll probably put the fsc556 back on.

FYI - I picked a handful of replacement parts. Trying to get a build (irons only) that might crack below 70 ounces (sub 4lbs 6oz). After that effort, I'll be done. Can't afford a boomfab at this time. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry for reviving my own thread ... but I was super happy to break a personal goal of mine, sub-70 ounce. I swapped out a bunch of parts for v7 stuff and then tweak a few other things.

Thanks for all the help and great ideas!!!

e1374e.jpg

You might try "clocking" the comp to about 1:00 or 1:30. This probably would not stop the up and down motion but should help the "up and right" part. No cost or additional weight for this mod.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry for reviving my own thread ... but I was super happy to break a personal goal of mine, sub-70 ounce. I swapped out a bunch of parts for v7 stuff and then tweak a few other things.

e1374e.jpg

Care to tell us what you changed to get below 70 oz? You dropped 7.25 oz, that nearly half a pound. That's significant.

Nice build, now I want to do a super-lite build.

Edited by Willz

Cool build!

e1374e.jpg

Care to tell us what you changed to get below 70 oz? You dropped 7.25 oz, that nearly half a pound. That's significant.

Nice build, now I want to do a super-lite build.

The red dot is no longer there. from what I can find tha'ts a little over 6 oz with mount.He has also ditch the comp 1.6 oz.

Edited by Dustint21