Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

looking left and right after finishing stage

USPSA is about as far from combat or real world as you can get.

Unfortunately, without someone shooting back at you, USPSA is also about as close to combat or real life as you can get.

I always thought training with a MILES system that delivered a 120V shock to the area hit would be as close as you can get.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do a little search and assess after a stage before unloading and showing clear because I've left enough targets before that it pays to see them before I'm "finished." Of course, my search and assess usually looks more like I'm looking for my car keys or the TV remote than a threat.

This right here.... There's nothing like having a good feeling run and then getting the "IIIIIFFFFF you are finished, unload and show clear". Or to look at the target and think, "Did I engage that one? If not, it's too late now.... The penalty is probably about the same as the time I've wasted wondering if I've shot it or not"

one of the IIIIIIFFFF you are finished that will always stand out in my head was a local match with side to side stage about 15 yards wide the shooter a 6 foot plus local officer realized after a scan that had forgotten to engage two targets through a window 10 yards back and highstepped it the whole way ..knees touching chest marching band highstepping while reloading...a sight i will never forget. I myself had a post stage oops just recently at rev nats heard if you are finished popped open cylinder and thought to self why are there two rounds left ..crap ....closed cyclinder leaned around wall i was standing next to and click click bang bang no fte....anyway that is they kind of scan i see more at matches.

I have always thought that those who use a gun for a living, so to speak, are smart enough to be aware of their surroundings. Being on a range at a USPSA event is probably one of the safest places to be in todays time.

I had a fellow at the Single Stack Nationals last year who did the look over both shoulders before holstering exercise. I asked him if he observed all of the guys with .guns behind him, and he just sort of looked at me. I then said, and yet you didn't take cover. I then moved on to the next shooter.

The look on his face was priceless.

Hilarious . Made my day thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't make fun of anyone who did this at a match but when I see it while watching shooting videos at home I definitely chuckle.

Most people who practice this on YouTube videos are pretty laughable on their own but the checking for additional threats pushes it over the edge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNlpnGaZx_Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

lol. that's the best rofl I've had in a while.

I love in the second part doing the NY reload he goes to holster the second gun and then realizes he hasn't done his awesome little spin move at the end. The facials he pulls while doing that move were also more better...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I call this move that they have been beating into us for a few years the "tactical hoot owl." They have successfully trained officers to look behind us at the end of each string of fire to see how many fingers the instructor is holding up so we don't get yelled at for not knowing how many fingers the instructor was holding up. I now know that immediately after a shooting, I must check my 6 for instructors holding up fingers.

"I was wondering WHY all the snide/snobby comments. . . . .

Then I looked at the forum name"

Funny that absolutely no one I know that has worked professionally with a gun and has been engaged by some manner of hostile individual with a firearm does this when they shoot USPSA, mostly because they don't feel the need to visually impress anyone...

They could be new to competition shooting scene and still haven't transitioned their mindset to competition. The first formal instruction I received I was taught to get a second sight picture for each shot you fire, so you fire two you get three sight pictures, you fire three rounds you get four sight picture (follow your work through your sights). Well, imagine how much time I was wasting getting the following sight picture then transitioning to the next target. It was a hard to break during competition but now during a match if I call the shot good through the sights I'm immediately looking for the next target to shoot. I shoot in several shooting disciplines and coming from a LE background not only do I switch my mindset but also the way to shoot a stage maximizing the scoring being used at the match (TPC, USPSA, Outlaw 3 Gun, GSSF, IDPA...). If the shooter has a LE background and chooses to stick around (which unfortunately not a lot us do), give them a several months, they'll change once they figure out what they have to do to win. If they are just doing it to look tactical and look good on camera then it'll give us something to critique or make fun off in the forums. Now lets get out there and shoot some Alphas, after all, the winner is usually determined by who shoots the most alphas in the shortest amount of time in most of the games.

JG

• 2 months later...

This is definitely not trained in any of the Army's higher level shooting circles...

The first thing to do after finishing a REAL engagement with your pistol is to put a fresh mag in your pistol, then (if you have a rifle, and before holstering) pick up your rifle with your weak hand and assess the damage (is it just dry? is it a double feed/override/etc?), then make a note of what is happening and if the situation dictates getting your rifle back up or continuing with your pistol.

A couple things I've seen different instructors do to encourage situational awareness-

Find the instructor visually (he was walking back and forth behind the line) before holstering.

Check yours and your buddy's targets before holstering.