New 308 Brake

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

T.T.B. for Tame The Beast.

I bought one from Mike this weekend at he-man and I would say it made a 50% improvement over the the JP brake that came on my 16" LRP-07.

Thanks Mike!

Edited by Colodrew

• 2 weeks later...

So, it didn't occur to me until I opened the box that this brake was intended for skinnier barrels. I held it up in front of the LR308 barrel and thought "well, THAT will look like crap!". I made a knurled locking collar that cups around the rear of the brake to cover the taper part. Also eliminates the crush washers that I hate so much! What do ya think?

Edit- To clarify- The brake came with a timing shim kit, not a crush (peel) washer. I didn't use it because my barrel was so much fatter than the brake it looked funky. I simply meant that in general I don't like crush washers on brakes, and the mismatch gave me an opportunity to do something different

Tom

post-48876-0-40868000-1401230675_thumb.j

Edited by openclassterror

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to step away from this for a little while and give it more thought. During that time we ran the Pikes Peak match and I settled in on a new job at my company. A few days ago I began thinking about a name for my brake again and just last night I settled on a name. It's not one from the list though. It's one I came up with myself this week.

The brake will be called... Hot Gates 762

For those who don't know what the Hot Gates are... google it. You will get a very cool history lesson. As to the contest... sticking to my word I offered a brake to Bentsight, even though I couldn't use his name.

Ran this brake on my 24" LR308 barrel at Ironman. Load tuning went well during the week before, 42.0gr of Varget gave 2630fps and 1-1/4 inch and smaller groups at 200yds. Shot plates out to 560 yd at our local range (longest shots available there) and compared results to Trajectory tables generated on RCBS.Load software. Hornady 168gr HPBTs were most readily available bullets at the time. Come-ups matched perfectly, and brake kept bullet strikes within field of view at 22x throughout recoil cycle. Calling shots was a piece of cake. I printed out a data sheet, zeroed for 300, and headed for the match. At Ironman, first long shots were 660 yd plates, went 3 for 4 only one cleanup shot needed for full bonus. After final stage on the second day I talked my 12 year-old son through the process of doping an MGM flasher from the practice range. First round hit at 733 yards, with 1-1/2 mils of wind compensation. He saw the hit through the scope due to excellent recoil control from the brake, and his confidence level for long distance shooting SOARED. :) Rifle shoots at least as accurately with the brake as without, and being able to call shots without a spotter is HUGELY important in events like this, as many do not allow coaching or spotting. Very satisfied with this brake, will probably put one on my bolt gun as well!

Tom

Yes, it will fit. I've run one on my buddies M1A with Smith adapter. The brake works even better on an M1A than on my LR308. I sell it with a PRI shim kit to make indexing easy. The only little detail we had to work out on my buddies M1A was that the little grub screw which secures the castle nut needed to be replaced with a shorter one so it didn't stick out of the hole and interfere with the brake install. Other than that... Rock n role!

For those who don't know what the Hot Gates are... google it. You will get a very cool history lesson. As to the contest... sticking to my word I offered a brake to Bentsight, even though I couldn't use his name.

Yes he did and I thanked him but declined the offer. I was not aware of someone already marketing a brake using flatline in the name, rather I got the idea for the name from spending time in the back of an ambulance or two looking at a 12lead heart monitor.

Yes he did and I thanked him but declined the offer. I was not aware of someone already marketing a brake using flatline in the name, rather I got the idea for the name from spending time in the back of an ambulance or two looking at a 12lead heart monitor.

It was still a good name... regardless how much you had to bleed for it.

I was at the range messing around after work and shot this teaser. I'm running my LRP-07 with the Hot Gates, a Vortex Spitfire and 155gr full power loads (155 @ 2650). In truth I am really not this fast on the trigger all the time. It took 3 attempts to get through the drill without miscounting or missing a trigger reset. I also forgot my timer, so the beep sounds suspiciously like some dude. I was actually there to test out the new Vortex and was running some speed drills to see how I like the scope for fast work.

Edited by co-exprs