Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 308 Brake

My new 308 brake will debut at HeMan Nationals this weekend. Trouble is... I can't seem to think of a good name for my baby. First I thought of "Jr Patrick", but Pat Kelly took exception to the reference. I thought of the "Hammer", but with the recent Thor movies, that just seems juvenile. PM me your ideas and Thur night I will select the best name submitted. The winner will get a free brake, courtesy of your's truly.

JrPatrickblack_zps5a3ae954.jpg

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Man, I thought you guys would load me up with tons of ideas. If you don't post your ideas, you can't win. Don't be shy... and I have a healthy sense of humor. I've been working on this design idea for a long time and I'm pretty proud of the end result.

Gong Dong

Ultimate

Thunder Tamer

High Tower

Triple P

Seismic Wave

My Little Friend

Shock and Awe

Muzzle Magic

TSBB

Keep em rolling in!

Edited by co-exprs

Recoil Buster

The Quattro (after the 4 ports. Also gives new meaning to the term, "fire up the Quattro!")

Heavy Metal Thunder

The BEST (Blast Enhancing Shot Tamer)

Mick

Edited by MickB

Gong Dong

Ultimate

Thunder Tamer

High Tower

Triple P

Seismic Wave

My Little Friend

Shock and Awe

Muzzle Magic

T.S.B.B.

Marauder

Holy Moses

Slot Machine

Y.N.B.H.P.

Deafening

Run Flat

Optimieren (streamline)

Recoil Buster

Quattro

B.E.S.T. (Blast Enhancing Shot Tamer)

Edited by co-exprs

So a little bit about the brake... This is my 3rd year running in HeMan Divisions. I just really love the name of the division and the additional technical challenges that come with the rule sets. When I started shooting in the division, I went on the forums and read what every one else thought were the best 308 brakes. I tried the 4 most popular ones and found that they didn't agree with me. Call me picky or unrealistic, but I felt it was possible to have a brake that was highly effective, low maintenance and easy on the shooter. None of the prominent brakes got it done... "for me". So I started thinking about it more and more, and being an engineer type (you know, one of those guys with... "the knack"), I came up with a list of desired attributes and began putting design ideas on paper. I put a lot of thought into it. No million dollar design software... no flow analysis. Just some good old brain power, focused on making a 308 specific brake that would meet all "my" needs. After a year of drawing and redrawing the design, I ran into a local machinist, who was looking for some pistol coaching for he and his wife. We did some horse trading and in Nov I had my prototype. I took it to the range and shot it back to back against the brake I had been running and... Christmas came in Nov for Mr. Payne cuz I knew I had a winner. I've done a couple of additional prototypes since and well, I just got lucky and ended up with a highly effective design without much trial and error. Which is important cuz the high cost of the additional prototypes came out of my ammo budget. I've been running the brake now for the past 1600rds. It's holding up well against erosion and the baffle design stays clean. It's made of hardened 4140 and I only have them in black.

Here's a vid of the brake in action at Superstition. Stage 9 I believe. Anyway check out the 20yd hammers in match conditions. All my hits are there with only 1 D hit on the far right paper target. The rifle is my LRP-07 and my load is Nosler 125gr TNT, 46gr IMR 8208, 2950fps, PF=369 (which is the same PF as my nato surplus ammo at home).

All 308's are loud and all 308's with a brakes are extra loud. Some brakes are worse than others. This one is relatively mild and is about the same as a Miculeck 308. "Very Smooth" is how most people describe the recoil impulse. I was not focused on flash suppression during design, but I got lucky there too and found that this brake throws a minimal flash signature.

I will continue to hold to Pat's wisdom that there is no one brake to rule them all. They all have strengths and weaknesses. I'm sure that some one will soon point out weaknesses in my brake too. You just gotta try it and see if you like it. I am willing to put my ammo where my pride is though. Anyone at HeMan Nats this weekend is welcome to try before they buy. I'll have some extra ammo there just for you. I've put this brake in front of 10 heavy shooters to get feedback. 8 said it was outstanding, 1 said it was OK and 1 said he'd rather stick with his JP brake.

It's true. 308 requires a lot more from the shooter than 223. There is a learning curve to be sure. There is a lot of reciprocating mass to over come and no brake is able to mitigate all of the hammering back and forth. This rifle is dialed and while it is a full power round, it is complimentary to controlling the muzzle. Funny thing... I ran my brake on a bone stock M1A last weekend and it was better than on my own rifle. That M1A is a magical platform.

I would say the M1A had more effect because of the lower reciprocating mass and the self adjusting gas system....

Mick

It's true. 308 requires a lot more from the shooter than 223. There is a learning curve to be sure. There is a lot of reciprocating mass to over come and no brake is able to mitigate all of the hammering back and forth. This rifle is dialed and while it is a full power round, it is complimentary to controlling the muzzle. Funny thing... I ran my brake on a bone stock M1A last weekend and it was better than on my own rifle. That M1A is a magical platform.