Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 worth $1k over plastic fantastic?

steviesterno

I've decided it's time to upgrade my EDC from the little LCP or 38 I'm usually wearing, and I'm looking for some help. I shoot 1911 & m&p almost exclusively in competition (except for GSSF) so I am very used to the grip angle, the 1911platform, safety, and I'm spoiled by a real trigger. I also have a pile of gear/mags, etc for 1911s.

I'm wondering first, why the heck are little and lighter 1911s so darn expensive? Seems like you can get a decent Spartan for $600 but a lightweight or commander jumps you up to like $1400 to start! Crazy, there's less material there anyway!

Meanwhile, little plastic fantastic like the XDs and M&Pc are coming in at under $500 around here. I had an XDs but the recall and recoil with limited real estate was tough to deal with. I also think the M&Ps are crazy fat in the frame and grip (and therefor conceal ability) compared to a 1911, but that might just me.

So what do you think? Is it worth the huge jump in price (considering budgets are limited) to spend that much more money for arguably little improvements?

Does anyone have experience/suggestions about a little 1911 that's not just crazy expensive but still light weight? I tried toting around my full sized but it's just too much.

Thanks!

I absolutely love my Sig P938. Carries awesome, shoots tight groups and the 5lb trigger is more than acceptable. Not sure if you could call it an actual "mini 1911" but they sell it as a 1911 "inspired" gun. Close enough for the girls I go out with. I got one for $525 NIB with the stupid laser on Armslist. I could sell the laser on eBay for $80 and call it $450.

The raw materials are more expensive (because they are lighter yet still strong) and a properly assembled 1911 takes a lot of machining and a good one takes a lot if craftsmanship... That all costs money. 1911s are machined down not molded up.

I had an emp 9. Great gun, but ended up trading it for a scope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First off... Whatever the market will bear, right?

Second , this is what I would do if I was in your shoes....Currently, Illinois is going through some growing pains with its new CCW law. I would stick with the guns you currently use for EDC, and take the money you would have spent on a small 1911, and go find a good self-defense, pro-gun, pro-2A, attorney in your area. Put $500 down as a retainer. Maybe use the other $1,000 to make your way to a Massad Ayoob MAG20 or MAG40 class. I've heard good things about them.

First off... Whatever the market will bear, right?

Second , this is what I would do if I was in your shoes....Currently, Illinois is going through some growing pains with its new CCW law. I would stick with the guns you currently use for EDC, and take the money you would have spent on a small 1911, and go find a good self-defense, pro-gun, pro-2A, attorney in your area. Put $500 down as a retainer. Maybe use the other $1,000 to make your way to a Massad Ayoob MAG20 or MAG40 class. I've heard good things about them.

I think you guys should do that for sure, but I live in Texas. Moved from FL (carry in cars, no permit no worries) to PA (open carry, bitches!) down here to the south. Anyone can carry in their truck, and our governor recently popped a coyote with his carry 380 on a morning run.

I've looking into the Ayoob stuff in the past, but he's pretty antiquated in his principles, from what I gather.

A few years ago I had a similar conundrum, 1911 or plastic for carry. I can't comment on the retail price of smaller 1911's, but I have owned and carried 1911's in 5" government and 4" commander size as well as Glock 22 and 27.

My solution was a bit off topic from your query: Ultimately, I opted for a CZ 75 compact that offered some of the features I like about 1911's (steel frame, tunable trigger, great accuracy) but in a smaller, lighter package with excellent capacity and a considerably lower price tag.

Get what you shoot best.

I was lucky in that I found a LW Officers ACP at a good price a number of years ago and it is a favorite CCW! Now they are 2-21/2 times what I paid for mine! I also have a S&W Shield in 9mm and I like it a lot. If $$$$ ever becomes available I will get a Sig 938. The EMP is also on my list but in 9 it is a bit heavy to me. Barrel fluting might be in order if the gs seems to think it is OK.

FWIW

Richard

BUL (Magnum Research) makes a nice Officers model with an alloy frame. Looks well made. I have the Commanders size and love it. Price is about $750.00.

*shrugs* Unless you're small, just carry a full-size 1911. It's what you're used to.

I'm 5'11" and weigh about 175#. My carry gun is a 5" 1911 Duty One. I have no problems concealing it with an unbuttoned shirt over a t-shirt.

I compete with a 1911/2011 and carry a STI Guardian (4" bbl with Officer size frame). Being all steel it has some heft to it but not something I notice as long as I use a good belt and holster. For me its a toss up on weight/size vs how well I can shoot it. I can carry a Colt Mustang Pocketlite very easily, but shooting it accurately beyond 7 yds is iffy.

I suppose if STI made a Guardian with an aluminum frame I would have given it a serious look. Another option is the STI VIP if you want a hi-cap, but now we're definitely outside your price range...

yeah the 2011s are a viable option, but then it gets to be silly expensive. Hey, a 3" carrel double stack 9 mm for $1600? not too shabby. oh wait, I could get a block 26/M&Pc for $450. same double stack, same caliber, same barrel length... just not as good of a trigger, but leaves me with $1100 in ammo. see how it gets out of hand? it's why I'm having a hard time.

I usually opt to carry plastic. I carry mostly Glocks, and while they are rather wide, its never really bothered me. Good weight, good capacity, good price, and I trust them to work when I need them to.