Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

screw accuracy!

Red Ryder

It's a hell of a lot easier to teach accuracy than it is speed.

i think it's pretty easy to teach speed without accuracy. The problem is it results in zero HFs. OTOH, accuracy without speed just results in low HFs.

I think the difficulty is in learning accuracy at speed. That seems to require practice.

Local guy, started shooting 2 years ago. I've never seen anyone move faster through a COF. He'd have a local match with 16-20 mikes. Now he's a double GM. Thank God he never listened to the chorus of us who told him to slow down and get his hits.

That's a double GM, two years after picking up a pistol.

There was this guy I read about, Ben something or other. He claims to have started off slow and had to learn to go fast. I think he's a GM, maybe a national champion. And made GM pretty quick I hear.

I think most of us probably start off and one end or the other. I doubt either is really a better place to start. In the end we need to do both, and how long it takes to get there will bepend on how much we want it.

I definitely need to work personally on shooting accurately because I am just starting out and am right there where you are talking about Red Ryder. When I decide I am just gonna get a hit on paper and keep running I shoot middle of the pack with the B's, but if I try to aim I don't do very good. I agree with Mike, I think everyone either starts out shooting all the points or starts out shooting really fast but the best learn to do whatever their weakness is well too.

Local guy, started shooting 2 years ago. I've never seen anyone move faster through a COF. He'd have a local match with 16-20 mikes. Now he's a double GM. Thank God he never listened to the chorus of us who told him to slow down and get his hits.

Well that one anecdote sure proves something...... lol. What about all the fast guys that still aren't getting their hits after years?

One thing we all know, to be successful, you have shoot fast AND get your hits. How you get there is your business.

If it's who I think it is I've beaten him shooting prod and him shooting limited after he had been GM in lim for a bit. He is like watching a greased jack rabbit! Once he learns to get hits at speed he will be a force.

With that said if you can't get good hits at speed your gonna plateau. It might be at B class. It might not be until your at GM then try to figure out how I'm getting beat by lower classes. It's a give and take.

What's your percent points in what div?

There was this guy I read about, Ben something or other. He claims to have started off slow and had to learn to go fast. I think he's a GM, maybe a national champion. And made GM pretty quick I hear.

I think most of us probably start off and one end or the other. I doubt either is really a better place to start. In the end we need to do both, and how long it takes to get there will bepend [sic] on how much we want it.

:cheers:

This game is about having fun right? Different people have different ideas of what is fun and definitely see different results from different strategies. To me it seems more frustrating to burn down the stage then go looking for your hits.

Reading this thread got me wondering what percentage of the points I really am shooting so I looked back at Saturday's scores: six stages - 96%, 93%, 99%, 93%, 98% and 95%. The nice thing is that I keep seeing improvement, I'm getting faster, better at calling shots, better at shooting on the move.

Last month it came together nicely and got my first couple stage wins; one with 95% of the points and a 8.15 HF! :devil:

Edited by kneelingatlas

If it's who I think it is I've beaten him shooting prod and him shooting limited after he had been GM in lim for a bit. He is like watching a greased jack rabbit! Once he learns to get hits at speed he will be a force.

With that said if you can't get good hits at speed your gonna plateau. It might be at B class. It might not be until your at GM then try to figure out how I'm getting beat by lower classes. It's a give and take.

What's your percent points in what div?

I typically shoot 92-95 % of the available points in production. 56% C class.

I probably shot my best major match last month at the battle V. 69% of SS match winner (GM)with 93 % of available points. I believe to do it faster would require better transitions and movement, the accuracy was present.

Edited by cnote

I think most of us probably start off and one end or the other. I doubt either is really a better place to start. In the end we need to do both, and how long it takes to get there will bepend [sic] on how much we want it.

:cheers:

This game is about having fun right? Different people have different ideas of what is fun and definitely see different results from different strategies. To me it seems more frustrating to burn down the stage then go looking for your hits.

Reading this thread got me wondering what percentage of the points I really am shooting so I looked back at Saturday's scores: six stages - 96%, 93%, 99%, 93%, 98% and 95%. The nice thing is that I keep seeing improvement, I'm getting faster, better at calling shots, better at shooting on the move.

Last month it came together nicely and got my first couple stage wins; one with 95% of the points and a 8.15 HF! :devil:

Nice Shooting!!!!

I started out with this mind set and now im stuck in B and having a hell of a time getting out. The mikes are a killer, one in a classifier and you might have well as zero'd it. When it comes to placing in matches there is a little more wiggle room, but i can shoot the fastest time on a stage but still loose cause the other guy went a little slower and didnt have the c's and d's I had.

They told me to go slow yesterday for my first match... I sorta listened... but at the end of the day (thanks to advice from people on this forum) just tried to run it as fast as I possibly could while being safe. And I ultimately ended up running with the A class and B class shooters, and even an M class on one classifier stage, I think beginner's luck played a major role.

Technically, I got two mikes throughout the entire day, but neither were because I missed a target. One was because I literally ran out of ammo and only was able to send one shot towards my final target in my first stage. And another one was because I shot a target but it went through wood hardcover so that counts as a mike.

My first day in any sort of sanctioned pistol event and I got 5th in my Limited division and 9th place overall, this was solely because I practiced my ass off at achieving speed and accuracy before I ever showed up to my first match. If you need help putting accuracy and speed together, you need to be running more drills live fire, and really working on perfecting firearms handling in dry fire.

Dry fire is massively important, essential in fact, but if you do not balance that with actual range time, dealing with actual recoil for transitions and splits, then you're going to be in a world of hurt when you try do it for real in a match.

I attribute my first ever match performance to running Stoeger's drills like a maniac for about a week prior to entering the match. Before that I had never done any sanctioned pistol event, so that's just food for thought at how quick skills WILL increase with perseverance.

Edited by nitrohuck

We have talked quite alot about this in my club, as we consists mostly of new(ish) shooters with a few rather experienced ones. Points vs Speed is always what you need to look for. We have one competitor that so far has 100% A hits on his last 3 matches, but he burns to much time correcting any hit that is not an A hit ie, he can shoot a string of 3 targets, notice he shot AC AD on the two first, goes back and shoots alpha. We also have a few that just blazes through it and takes CC/CD hits without thinking to much about it, and in the end the overall hitfactor between the two types are not that big.

This year my training will be to find the balance, when is it ok to shoot AC/AD, when is it not ok. I will strive for A's during practice, but I will push the tempo up to 110%, I will back down to 90% see if I can increase the A hit ratio and get faster times. I will look at what I am doing badly when it goes to fast, and I will even switch on my Kadet 2 conversion from time to time to see where my hits are (after all .22lr never lies when it comes to finding out how you are prepping the triger, and what goes on when you try to shot fast.)

I am still a happy camper when it comes to IPSC, I really love the sport just becuse of the aspects of everything in it, but also I found out that I do not really want to be average when I compete - I want to do better. After all, I did sign up for a training course with Eric Graffuel just a few weeks from now. I want to improve, and I want to learn how to improve.

CZbeardly,

I think you put it pretty well. Often during practice I am ramping it up to 110%, pushing as fast as possible and trying to get all of my fundamentals under control while going at ass ripping speeds, this as we all know results in a worst hit rate.

Then when it actually counts, I run at 90% and it feels like I have all the time in the WORLD to make sure my hits are a lot more on target. In reality the time difference is minimal, but mentally it gives me more wiggle room to make sure I am actually hitting an A (or "that probably was an A").

After a little bit of practice, you'll soon realize that what used to be your 110% time frame with "decent" hits has now become your 90% time frame with very good hits if not perfect A's all around. That is progression :) Rinse and repeat, find what your new "110%" time frame is for said drill or classifier, and get to work.

Then come match day, depending on how you're doing vs yourself and everyone else, you can either go anywhere from 90-110% and be pretty sure of how well you'll do.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it is important to think, in the beginning, to go for points. You'll learn to aim at the targets, and finding your sights. Then speed up.

I have sped up too much, so i allways have at least 3-4 mike during a level3 match.

Working on that now :)