Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First race wheelgun.

Kyle7735

Well...to contribute to my own threads drift.

Though completely unusable in IDPA....what about a 929 when they become available?

I think there are starting to trickle out of the factory actually, a buddy who is keeping an eye out keeps getting in stock notifications,but gets to the order page too late.

I am not an IDPA competitor, I just have no interest in it. -- If you were getting into the game fresh for USPSA i'd reccomend a 627 with 5"+ barrel , or wait out and get the new 929 when they come to market.

I love my 625's ,but they are going to be doing alot of sitting in the safe, sans a few matches a year, due to the barrel lengths ( non idpa legal ) and the 8 shots are getting all the love these days.

Edited by alecmc

Well...to contribute to my own threads drift.

Though completely unusable in IDPA....what about a 929 when they become available?

I think there are starting to trickle out of the factory actually, a buddy who is keeping an eye out keeps getting in stock notifications,but gets to the order page too late.

I am not an IDPA competitor, I just have no interest in it. -- If you were getting into the game fresh for USPSA i'd reccomend a 627 with 5"+ barrel , or wait out and get the new 929 when they come to market.

I love my 625's ,but they are going to be doing alot of sitting in the safe, sans a few matches a year, due to the barrel lengths ( non idpa legal ) and the 8 shots are getting all the love these days.

I do want an 8 shot. Just like everyone else. And i do want a 929 just like everyone else. And to be honest im willing to wait for it.

The S&W 627 ( 8 shot 38 ) is new hotness for USPSA. As for cheaper, there will probably be some good deals on used 625s in the near future.

Are you saying folks will be dumping their 625s to buy 627s, 929s, etc?

If so, sounds like time for me to break open the piggy bank.

The S&W 627 ( 8 shot 38 ) is new hotness for USPSA. As for cheaper, there will probably be some good deals on used 625s in the near future.

Are you saying folks will be dumping their 625s to buy 627s, 929s, etc?

If so, sounds like time for me to break open the piggy bank.

I think there are 1 or 2 for sale in the classifieds now

Current bid is $1204.01. I wonder if there is enough demand for it as a rental gun. Would people pay $10 to shoot it for half an hour?

We're the only people foolish enough to shove our ammo into moon clips before we shoot it. It's us against the old ladies on the Smith & Wesson Forum. Damn collectors drive up demand for a gun they'll never use.

Simlar question as someone who wants to start shooting revo minor: Is the only 9mm option the new S&W's?

I really don't want to get into a new caliber, but if the 627 is far and away the better option I might be swayed.

Simlar question as someone who wants to start shooting revo minor: Is the only 9mm option the new S&W's?

I really don't want to get into a new caliber, but if the 627 is far and away the better option I might be swayed.

For 9mm, the only viable option is to wait for the 929. For 8 minor, the 627 vs 929, it's a wash.

TK makes the factory moonclips for the 929, so he's most likely going to be selling them for a similar price to what we pay for out hearthco's.

You get all your brass back. While 9mm brass is plentiful, having matching, uniform (for hand seating primers) starline brass is really nice. And I highly doubt you're going to wear it out. The only ammo benefit to the 929 will be factory ammo. If your going to go through all the trouble that we already do for our super light actions and tuned ammo, it's a wash.

The only other argument I can see is barrel length, and that's subjective to the shooter.

TK makes the factory moonclips for the 929, so he's most likely going to be selling them for a similar price to what we pay for out hearthco's.

The few examples that I have seen of the 929 do not come with the clips that TK shows on his site. The ones on his site have round centers. Look at the moon clip in the pictures of the one for sale on Gun Broker, it has a large hex center. I bought a bunch of 9mm 8 shot clips from Ranch Products about 6 years ago and the clip that came with the 929 that I examined is a perfect match for the Ranch clip. Both of them are stamped clips, not EDM. Maybe S&W is putting a mix of suppliers clips in with the guns? After a few take delivery maybe we will find out.

Edited by Gregg K

Gregg K, I was wondering the same thing about the factory moon I saw, but I called TK about a different matter a few months back and he said they were his. Smith has been known to take the less expensive route before though. I am very curious to see how well they hold 9mm, it's hard to imagine them beating how well hearthcos hold starline.

Baron6: 627, all day over the 327. I have an original 327JM for steel and as a back up gun, it's awesome, but much too light for USPSA.

Don't let me talk you out of a 929, my opinion is just that I have plenty of time, energy and money into the 627, and have a hard time seeing it beat out by the 929.

I'm secretly planning on waiting until I hear a review from a shooter (hopefully someone on benos) so would someone hurry up and get one already?

Another issue with the 929 vs a 627, if you want the best reloads you need a stiff, tight moon clip like Hearthco's. And to get that stiff, tight fit you need uniform cases like Starline. Not mixed, 2nd grade cases that you can get by with in a 45 acp. So the benefit of using whatever brass you can get by with for a Production Gun isn't really going to be.

Not an issue to not get one, but one to remember.

Edited by pskys2