Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extended Mag Release for M&P, LF-Arms

JeffWard

I picked up one of LF Arms' extended mag releases this week. I've been looking for an extended mag release for a while for my USPSA Limited Gun, and debating back and forth the advantages/disadvantages. Costa built theirs, but it was impossible to find.

Now LF Arms (www.lf-arms.com) has this one, so I jumped on it. And so far... VERY happy.

Solid steel stock with a nice melonite finish. The finish is flawless, even for a part where 90% of it is inside the gun. The fit is perfect (see pictures). It looks and feels like the mag release S&W should have put on the gun all along...

Many aftermarket extended releases (for 1911/2011 guns) have an issue of being TOO big, so you can inadvertently drop a mag when you don't intend to. I highly doubt this will happen with the LF Arms version. I'm going to run some drills with it this weekend, and shoot a match Tuesday night to make sure... but so far, I'm really impressed.

I have BIG hands... so the Apex FSS trigger puts the trigger the right distance forward, and the large backstrap stippled deep to make it BIGGER, fit my hands well. I've never had to rotate the gun a LOT in my hand to release the mag, but it's a subtle shift that can change you grip from mag to mag. With the LF Release, I don't think I'm going to have to rotate the gun AT ALL (see pictures). The tip of my thumb fell on the factory release, but I couldn't get enough pressure on it with a thumb tip to reliable drop mags. With the LF Arms release, I can put plenty of pressure on the release to drop a mag, with no shift!

If you've got shorter fingers, and find you need to rotate the gun a BUNCH, or even drop mags with your trigger finger... this release will be a god-send.

JeffWard

post-16906-0-18800800-1397310266_thumb.j

post-16906-0-59466300-1397310283_thumb.j

post-16906-0-82143500-1397310302_thumb.j

post-16906-0-52697800-1397310325_thumb.j

post-16906-0-03030100-1397310342_thumb.j

Did you have any issues with inadvertently dropping mags? Seems like that's always the complaint I hear about extended releases. I have to break my grip quite a bit (small hands) to engage the release, so this looks like it's worth a shot. Hard to be for 33$ shipped!

NO problems with inadvertent drops. The release is no wider... just longer than the factory release.

I'm shooting my third competitive match with it Sunday. It's taking a while to rebuild THOUSANDS of reps of muscle memory to STOP twisting the gun! I'm keeping my palm planted now and just slightly re-gripping with my fingertips to make drops, so the position in the palm (the critical part) is consistent. LOVE this extension.

Jeff

NO problems with inadvertent drops. The release is no wider... just longer than the factory release.

I'm shooting my third competitive match with it Sunday. It's taking a while to rebuild THOUSANDS of reps of muscle memory to STOP twisting the gun! I'm keeping my palm planted now and just slightly re-gripping with my fingertips to make drops, so the position in the palm (the critical part) is consistent. LOVE this extension.

Jeff

Sweet, thanks for the response!

• 2 weeks later...

Bought one of these and tried it out this weekend. Doesn't really work for me being a lefty and all. Great product though wont have a hard time reselling it.

Received mine today, fit is great, slid right in, no drag when pushing it or on mags, feels great can get to it without adjusting grip now, I have the small brass SSS magwell and does not touch table when laying flat, very happy. Ordered it Friday showed up monday[emoji106]

Have had mine for a few weeks... Great item!!! With my springer precision slide racker and SSS limited magwell I will never eject a mag during a table start!!!!

For IDPA they are legal for ESP but not SSP class. The extended size release will clear any holster that does not cover the mag release button however it really depends how close the holster is to your body whether or not it interferes with the button. We also make a standard size release that offers the same performance, serrations and feel of the extended but is the same dimention as the factory part.

For IDPA they are legal for ESP but not SSP class. The extended size release will clear any holster that does not cover the mag release button however it really depends how close the holster is to your body whether or not it interferes with the button. We also make a standard size release that offers the same performance, serrations and feel of the extended but is the same dimention as the factory part.

How far out from the frame is it, as measured per the IDPA clarification?

Per IDPA rules it cannot be larger than 0.2". Out extended release is 0.16" and if course the standard length is the same as the factory part. Hope this helps.

Thanks it does help. I'm going to a major match in June and changing guns right now so the info is most helpful.

I received mine yesterday. I have short fingers/small hands for a man and have always had to break my grip and shift the gun to hit the mag release. I don't have to shift at all with your mag release. It's perfect for me.

Those do look interesting. Does anyone know off the top of their head if they are production legal? I need to check the rulebook before ordering one.

I would have to say no, not USPSA production division legal. Externally different, and not OEM manufacture.

• 1 month later...

Just received my order and it is just what my short thumbs needed! Superb quality.. may shoot with it in my tier III IDPA match this weekend. Thank you LF Arms.