Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock trigger press.,...

Sac Law Man

Most shooters new to Glocks will shoot 2-3 inches left at 15 to 20 yards if they are right handed, and 2-3 inches right if they are lefty. Most will agree that this is the result of the trigger. There are many out there who feel the trigger must be stagged and then pulled through, then there are the others that dont feel the need to reset the sear, but instead allow the trigger to release all the way, then pulled straight through to fire. Is there one best way to fire a Glock, or does it depend on the individual? Thoughts

I stage the trigger every time regardless of the situation in competition. I prep/stage the trigger as the gun is coming into my field of view so as soon as I'm on the sights I'm ready to break the shot, wasting no time. From the first shot I only release out to the reset and break the next shot when ready.

Revolver I just pull straight through with even pressure, if I'm shooting faster I pull faster but not harder.

The Glock trigger is certainly less forgiving when pulling straight through than many others. That being said there are certainly situations when you can pull straight through and slap the hell out of it and still shoot A’s/0’s. It really depends on your grip, skill level and what trigger you are running. I suggest going out the range and finding out for your self. Sight in on the target and on the beep pull straight through as fast and cleanly as you can. Keep walking back until you are no longer keeping them in the A zone. For me the limit is about 15 yds and thus the distance I can get away with slapping the trigger…yes I said it…slapping…albeit slapping straight to the rear.

All that being said on the draw I always prep the trigger when pressing out, and I release to JUST ABOUT the point of reset. The most important thing IMHO is to get off the trigger fast after the shot breaks and then pull it as cleanly as possible and with the degree of care the shot requires if that makes sense. So on close hoser targets I’m shooting the fastest splits possible and on far difficult targets I’m breaking the shot, getting off the trigger past the point of reset and getting it prepped again as quickly as possible. A lot of people who ride the reset end up reseting and pulling at the same speed. Time spent reseting is time wasted, get off it and get back on it!

I hope I am explaining that clearly. I guess I would say that you don’t need to release the trigger all the way out but if you are releasing carefully only until you feel it reset you are likely wasting time.

The "best way" to squeeze smoothly through a Glock trigger, to the point the striker "falls" is the way you find to squeeze it and NOT disturb the front sight. That said, I agree that the further the shot the more deliberate the squeeze...the closer the shot, the faster the squeeze (or some would say slap as opposed to squeeze). For me, absolute minimum finger pad and still manipulate the trigger "safety" flipper (can't remember the name at the moment) on the trigger gives me the best results. I have seen shooters (using Glocks) shoot A's and 0 down all day using staged trigger, slapped trigger, more finger, less finger.

I do dry fire alot and focus my energies on full trigger pull with no disturbance of front sight. Alot means 50-100 times every other day. I'm older so I tell people I need the work...lol

Oh yes...And I do agree...get that trigger released and be ready for the next shot...Full release unless we're talking long shots...with long shots...if you are CAREFUL...You may release to reset.

Edited by Tom C

The Glock trigger is certainly less forgiving when pulling straight through than many others. That being said there are certainly situations when you can pull straight through and slap the hell out of it and still shoot A’s/0’s. It really depends on your grip, skill level and what trigger you are running. I suggest going out the range and finding out for your self. Sight in on the target and on the beep pull straight through as fast and cleanly as you can. Keep walking back until you are no longer keeping them in the A zone. For me the limit is about 15 yds and thus the distance I can get away with slapping the trigger…yes I said it…slapping…albeit slapping straight to the rear.

All that being said on the draw I always prep the trigger when pressing out, and I release to JUST ABOUT the point of reset. The most important thing IMHO is to get off the trigger fast after the shot breaks and then pull it as cleanly as possible and with the degree of care the shot requires if that makes sense. So on close hoser targets I’m shooting the fastest splits possible and on far difficult targets I’m breaking the shot, getting off the trigger past the point of reset and getting it prepped again as quickly as possible. A lot of people who ride the reset end up reseting and pulling at the same speed. Time spent reseting is time wasted, get off it and get back on it!

I hope I am explaining that clearly. I guess I would say that you don’t need to release the trigger all the way out but if you are releasing carefully only until you feel it reset you are likely wasting time

Yeah you said it ! What you didn't say is that you are all pumped up from going to the gym and not much would disturb your sight picture. Except for maybe a gardener wearing yoga pants. Woh

I think staging the trigger can lead to other issues such as anticipation. Once you commit to start pressing the trigger, you should press it all the way through. The difficulty of the shot you are taking at the time should determine the speed that you press through. On a tight 25-50 yd shot or steel, I will really slow down the press, but I try to keep my finger moving the whole time. On a short close target it's really about getting on the trigger as fast as possible. Your live fire practice will help you identify how much trigger control you need based on target size/distance.

Staging the trigger takes practice, I believe most glock shooters that do well will stage the trigger. For secondary shots in a string I only let out to reset. The farther you have to pull the trigger the more chance you will pull the shot off and the longer time it take to do this.

If you have read Enos book the principle of breaking the shot as the sights are lined up is essential to competing well in this sport. The less travel and movement needed to break the shot the more accurate you will be.

I set my Glock trigger up to have a pretty firm wall to stage to so with practice it's easy to learn to do that.

I think staging is fine for longer shots (I mean at least 25-50 yards) or for shooting groups but I don't think you can really stage when shooting fast

Glocks and revolvers could be considered similar in this (I feel as if revolver trigger practice makes a pretty big impact for me for Glock triggers)

Kind of agree....for my Agency's SRU we have a 25 yard bullseye qualification course that entails: 10 rounds at 25 yards, 10 rounds at 10 yards (in 15 seconds), and 10 rounds at 10 yards (in 10 seconds). Target is an FBI-I bullseye.

I say "kind of agree" because when I am qualifying on that course, on the 25 yard stage I will prep the trigger up to the wall (we run our G22's with 3.5# connectors with the NY-1 trigger spring...gives a nice wall to stack against), insure my sights are lined up, breath out and continue pressing until the shot breaks. But on the 10 yard stage I don't prep the trigger, I shoot to reset and press....

....unless I am prepping at such great speed that I don't even realize it....LOL

Edited by zipper046

Interesting. I thought most experienced Glock shooters "shot from reset". i.e. after the first shot, keep the trigger back, release just enough to let it reset, then all subsequent shots have shorter trigger travel. I never thought about the deliberate reset being a time waster...but now that I think about it, I'm not going to disagree. Another unfortunate possibility with shooting from reset which I have experienced is as I try to let the trigger just forward enough to reset, I end up resetting and immediately breaking the trigger before I'd meant to fire that next shot. I've done that a couple of times in matches, and while it's scared me each time, it's not cost me anything, because I was already on-target before letting it reset. I just hadn't mentally committed to firing that next shot...and there it went.

Learn it all and do it all so that you can have these things in your toolbox and apply them on demand when you need to.

There are times when you'll want to smash through the trigger, and there are times when you'll want to take the slack out, prep it, and break precise shots.

I prep most the time, even on quick shots. I've just done that in tons of practice, so I don't think my finger could come off reset now if I wanted it to, hahhaha. When I shoot other platforms it takes me a few hundred rounds to get back to perfect on the Glock.

Learn it all and do it all so that you can have these things in your toolbox and apply them on demand when you need to.

There are times when you'll want to smash through the trigger, and there are times when you'll want to take the slack out, prep it, and break precise shots.

THIS

If you have a close,wide open target, your trigger pull won't have time to just barely let out to reset, take slack out and then press thru. It's not about if slapping the trigger is valid or not, but rather is the shooter able to do it and still get what they need.

The difficulty of the target is what dictates the amount of sight and trigger refinement.

http://youtu.be/YLRxohRdIys?t=5m15s

EDit: With Glocks, if you install the NY1 trigger return spring, but take the actual coil out, it gives a similar weight but gets rid of the "take up" point, so closer to a LDA/DA revo trigger.

Edited by theblacknight

• 3 weeks later...

I am gunna share something that works for me.. If I were shooting head shots at a USPSA/IDPA target at 25 yards working on accuracy, I will hit the head every time if I grip the gun (G34) firmly and pull all the way through.. No staging at all. In fact, I can pull the trigger pretty quick and still make accurate shots. When I stage and try to be deliberate, I end up missing. Try it.