Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

para pro custom 16.40

sheepdog566

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just looked again. They are still there, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the 16-40 or 18-9. They've been using the mag story for a year and a half now.

I'm wondering about the hold-up also. They use Mec-gar mag bodies for the P-14. They could easily outsource the P-16 mags to Mec-gar and just have it made a tad longer. There must be something more complex going on at Para that we don't know about.

Maybe they've been focusing more of their energy on the single-stack market?

I been using STI Mags in my 16-40 with a modified mag catch from Rich at Canyon Creek. If it takes a over a year to design a mag, there design team is incompetent or sleeping. Something else is going on here. I think Freedom group has tightened the purse strings substantionally. Looks like Remington is the only pistol portion of the company with any new product lately. Add in DPMS's new GII rifles and looks like Para went to the back of the line. Shame as the para widebody is an excellent pistol and if the 16-40 Pro Custom shows , I'll be first in line.

Its a shame, because the 18-9 or 16-40 would both be great guns out of the box for competition. Use a 16-40 for limited, or an 18-9 for 3 gun.

If someone were to buy an 18-9 could you drill the frame for an S_I red dot mount to use as an open gun? Or are the frames too different? You would have to get a different barrel and comp, but if that was all you had to change then it seems as though it might not be a terrible way to get into the 1911/2011 platform for open for significantly less money...

• 4 weeks later...

Talked to the Para reps at the NRA show and was told that production is at full speed on the 18-9 and the 16-40.

Sure it us. Travis just told me on Facebook that there still waiting for mags. Why release the Tomasie Custom at the NRA show if it's not ready? Same old BS they been using for over a year.

Didn't see that on Para's facebook page, did you? I saw that on Travis's page also. I've been searching online and haven't been able to find one yet. I think Travis may have jumped the gun again.

Edited by Marv Z

Hard to say; he could have jumped the gun. I'm waiting for the 9mm BOR anyway.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

ETA Para doesn't run their social media well. They seem to rely on Travis for that. He did mention that TTI was working on magazine guts and extensions.

Edited by fox3091

Its a shame, because the 18-9 or 16-40 would both be great guns out of the box for competition. Use a 16-40 for limited, or an 18-9 for 3 gun.

If someone were to buy an 18-9 could you drill the frame for an S_I red dot mount to use as an open gun? Or are the frames too different? You would have to get a different barrel and comp, but if that was all you had to change then it seems as though it might not be a terrible way to get into the 1911/2011 platform for open for significantly less money...

I have a Para Open gun. Frame is drilled for the C-More Serindipity. I had it built in 1995 and changed the barrel from 38 super to 9mm in about 2007. Way more fun as a Major 9 than a Super. Plus a change of the recoil spring and it's great with light 9mm loads. I also have a factory P18-9. Frame is the same and I use the same mags in both.

Craig

• 4 weeks later...

Not knocking a supplier here, but is it safe to say the new P16 and mags are officially vapor product? Please, can anyone convince me otherwise?

Between the fire they supposedly had there and the move to new corporate headquarters, I don't think we'll ever see them.

Talked to Travis on Facebook. Here is the convo.

Me- Hey Travis. Any updates on the 9mm Black Ops? Also there's a lot of frustration over on the Enos forum about the lack of updates on the 40s.

TT- Hi Zach- I'm checking on the 9mm BO for you. The 9mm mags are done and ready, so it's just a matter of making the Commander length 9mm slides. It was very close a few weeks ago...should be any day, but I need to check as I don't want to put you off. The 40 mags are in their final testing phase...which is very extreme and thorough. They are coming that's for sure. Thank you!

I will post when I hear back from him again. Previously he had told me that the .40 magazines had a few tweaks to make before final testing, so it sounds like progress is being made.

I hope Para is well.

But, here is my take. Just a moment, Come from my perspective. I have 4 of these P16's now, I have had 5. I like them. I am a metal guy and like the feel of an all steel gun. I also like Glocks, but that is another story.

I have made an investment into this platform. I am the type of person that is "all in" on something. So, if I start down the XYZ path of another platform, I will be all in and not looking to return. I have waited this out a bit too long. We all have only some many days on this spinning rock.

I have bought my first plain STI - A Trojan in 9mm (.. for SA is backed up on what I want). The Trojan has been good. Yes, it did stumble out the gate, but is preforming much better than my trigger or brain. So now what? Dump Para, go XYZ? Then to find, Ah we have all new magazines now for P16.

Para - Please some transparency here.

My money is the Big Green is thinking US (not political) environment will change. Face it, we are a niche market and why go down this path???

Communication is the key and I would rather have negative news frequently than repeated "in the works".

Kind Regards,

Rhett