Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Joined the Dillion crowd today!

I just wanted to stop by to say hello. I joined the Dillion crowd today. I ordered a new 550B and all the cool goodies to go with it from BE today. I'm really looking forward to getting the 550 and get going. I've been driving all my reloading buddies nuts with questions, so I'm sure they will be happy the search is over, LOL. The consensus opinion of my loose research was the 550 was the best press to start on.

I shoot IDPA SSP with a M&P Pro 9mm, so my inital plan is to reload 9mm to start. Once I figure out which end is up on the 550 (and provided I don't blow off a hand) I hope to work in some 45ACP.

I've been lurking around the forum for awhile and I'm amazed at the amount of information and data this group provides.

Now if I can just find some powder and bullets and primers and..............

Considering some of the fools I've met thru the years who do/have reloaded, I doubt you'll blow off a hand.

I had a guy on the phone one time who was having trouble with his 1050's priming system. And he said, "sometimes the handle gets stuck on the downstroke and when I just crank it through - a primer comes shooting out of the machine." :)

Thanks SWHlctx!

be

Once I figure out which end is up on the 550 (and provided I don't blow off a hand) I hope to work in some 45ACP............

Welcome to the blue side.

Take your time reloading. In time you will learn the feel of the machine.

Pat

If you didn't already order some reloading manuals. I am new to loading and jumped in with a 650. A little steeper learning curve but not bad. Once up and running you will wonder why it took you so long to start. The Dillon DVD is well worth the price. Watch it before you set up. Make sure your table is sturdy and does not flex.

Considering some of the fools I've met thru the years who do/have reloaded, I doubt you'll blow off a hand.

Thanks for the encouragment. I really doubt I will either. I'm very anal about gun/ammo saftey and big on the check and recheck everything. My only worry is I'm at that stage in life that CRS grabs me pretty hard sometimes.

Welcome to the Blue club. You will not be disappointed with your purchase. As others have said, just take your time and learn the feel. If it doesn't feel right it's because it isn't. You are in the right place for advice. Learn from others mistakes and experience. Have fun. Reloading is a sport unto itself.

I just wanted to stop by to say hello. I joined the Dillion crowd today. I ordered a new 550B and all the cool goodies to go with it from BE today. I'm really looking forward to getting the 550 and get going. I've been driving all my reloading buddies nuts with questions, so I'm sure they will be happy the search is over, LOL. The consensus opinion of my loose research was the 550 was the best press to start on.

I shoot IDPA SSP with a M&P Pro 9mm, so my inital plan is to reload 9mm to start. Once I figure out which end is up on the 550 (and provided I don't blow off a hand) I hope to work in some 45ACP.

I've been lurking around the forum for awhile and I'm amazed at the amount of information and data this group provides.

should be easy to find clays. this would work good

i like montana gold. 124 for 9mm. how would you blow off your hand?

Welcome to the Blue club. You will not be disappointed with your purchase. As others have said, just take your time and learn the feel. If it doesn't feel right it's because it isn't. You are in the right place for advice. Learn from others mistakes and experience. Have fun. Reloading is a sport unto itself.

You will enjoy the 550. I loaded on one for about a year and will share one of my mistakes with you. I was loading 45 and got into a batch of brass that had a bunch of small primer stuff mixed in. While clearing a piece of small primer brass from the priming station I forgot to advance the shell plate. Ended up with a double charge of title group making it into a batch of practice ammo. Kaboom and luckily I didn't get severely injured. After that I purchased an led strip light and looked in every case prior to placing a bullet. Just take your time and be careful.

Edited by praff

Welcome. You7 are going to love being blue. The checks and balances you spoke of are built in Dillon's presses. As you sit down and go through the loading process you'll see what I mean.

• 5 months later...

ok one very cheap safety tip.....

buy some software like quickload....

then look for a powder that:

provides reasonable velocity for bullet weight.

pressure in the upper 75% or so..nice clean burn

FILLS THE CASE MORE THAN 50%.....

if you fill the case more than 50%( try 60 or so)...you cannot double charge...'cause the bullet will not seat....

yes you pay slightly more for powder, but just how much are your hands and eyes worth ???

ok one very cheap safety tip.....

buy some software like quickload....

then look for a powder that:

provides reasonable velocity for bullet weight.

pressure in the upper 75% or so..nice clean burn

FILLS THE CASE MORE THAN 50%.....

if you fill the case more than 50%( try 60 or so)...you cannot double charge...'cause the bullet will not seat....

yes you pay slightly more for powder, but just how much are your hands and eyes worth ???

That is GREAT advice!

One also gets more consistent ignition due pointing pistol down and raising to fire.

Only advice I got is focus on accuracy, not power.

Best time I ever had shooting was reloading half of a five gallon bucket of .38/357 semi wad cutters my uncle gave me. I was broke, couldn't afford jacketed boolitts. Said what the heck and started loading that priceless gift ... shall we say everything came together!

Loaded them light, shot a lot and my accuracy increased exponentially.

That was one of the best summers of my life.

RIP and thanks Uncle Mo!

Been loading on Dillon for about 15 years. Still have my 550 I trade a bunch of work on a guy's car for. Used a SQB for 9mm last few years and the 550 & my T-7 for everything else.

Sold my SQB and got a 650 w/ case feeder, within 20 rds had it running perfectly. I wish I had bought one years ago.