Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Black Sheep Clay Kickers

Last year at RM3G, I got to shoot at some clay launchers which fired clays straight up in the air after being activated by falling poppers. The targets were presented very cleanly and exactly the same every single time. They seemed to be easy to reset and and held up well through rain, hail and 350 competitors. I am working out the details of the Pikes Peak Shotgun Challenge and decided to try and use the same kickers. I called JJ to inquire about the launchers he has and looked up Black Sheep's website. http://www.blacksheepmanufacturing.com/

A few weeks ago, I purchased 3 kickers for the match. I got an email from Matt Happ the next day and the launchers showed up a week later. I called a couple of buddies and we headed to the range for a pre-Superstition practice and to test out the new toys.

Assembly of the kickers was fairly easy, although the instructions only detail the installation of the legs and doesn't mention anything about how to adjust the spring tension. That being said, this is a very simple device and a shaved chimp can figure it out with a quick glance. One thing to not on assembly is that when installing the actuation bar, don't tighten the lock nut down too tight as the bar needs to swing freely during reset. I snugged up the nut, figured out why it wasn't resetting and then backed off the lock nut just enough to allow free motion. Then everything worked perfectly. We installed the kickers next to a small USA popper (just cuz they are easier to carry from the shed) and staked em down.

b7ee2041-7ca7-4bcc-bd07-9a387dbef7ea_zps

d58935d8-e21a-4506-bc78-bd2e7f32a3d6_zps

How well do they work? Well I gotta say.. these things are the shizzle! They really do what the company claims... they throw the target the same way every time and give the shooter a full profile of the clay at all times. This is a huge step forward for competitions and has more than just the obvious benefits of reducing the whining from competitors who take our sport far too seriously. The ability to precisely aim each clay to fire exactly where you want it (minus changing wind effect) is huge for stage designers. It not only makes things easier for the MD but also safer for the competitors. It also makes it much easier for the score keeper to see the hits. If the clay is hit with even one BB, the chip from the clean shape is easier to see than from a flipping clay. Even holes through the center of the clay are easier to see, because the resulting loss of material throws the spinning clay off balance. You can see the clay wobble in the air after the hit... even if the clay doesn't come apart. Calling hits is still subjective and the RO's must still be on their toes, but this should cut down on much of the differences in opinion.

In two weekends we've put 100 clays through each of 3 kickers. out of 300 clays, we had only 1 broken clay and that wasn't the kickers fault (more on that below). Black Sheep must be partnered with Energizer, because these things just keep throwing and throwing. Each clay as perfect as the one before it. The only performance problem we ran into was with wind. On Sat we tried to set up a practice day at a range east of Denver, out in the flat farm land. About the time we got there the front moved through and the wind kicked up to about 40mph. I would consider that extreme wind. Anyway, with the clays presented full profile for the shooter, they are also presented full profile for the wind. We tried to launch a couple of clays, which were set to go about 15ft in the air. With that much wind the clays went up 15ft and traveled 15yds before hitting the ground.

Durability? After 300 clays and a middle eastern sand storm, the kickers show almost no sign of wear and tear. I say almost, because one of my buddies, by accident (or so he says), center punched one of the kickers from about 18 yds. He must have been using a tight choke since the pattern was only about 12" wide, but the kicker caught all of the shot and the wad. The surface of the plate was dimpled and the paint chipped, but no real damage. The plate wasn't bent at all and it still functions perfectly. Since the clay is sitting against that plate on the other side, the transfer of energy through the plate was enough to break the clay in it's slot on the back side.

2200083a-7c6f-46ba-adf2-4a926e720af8_zps

Summary... Excellent product! This is the only way we will be launching verticle clays at the Pikes Peak Shotgun Challenge. I bought 3 and will be borrowing 6 more. I will be purchasing more for next years match for sure. Well worth $150ea.

Edited by co-exprs

• 1 month later...

Ours came in last week and I put them to the test today. WOW! What a fun clay flipper. These things work exactly as they claim and every bit as good as Mark experienced. I could have easily burned a case of shells shooting poppers and clays today.

• 2 weeks later...

Shot those at the "Epic" 3-Gun match here in Texas yesterday. By far the best clay target presentations I've ever seen in my 10+ years of shooting 3-Gun. Every competitor get the same great, consistent presentation. Though the clays are still blown by wind, it's not nearly as pronounced as when using traditional clay "flippers".

I'd like to see every club / match turn to these as "the standard" for popper-activated clay launchers. I have no affiliation with this company, but I sure wish I'd been the one to come up with this idea.

I just convinced my local club to buy one for a test run. We have a high berm but can't shoot over it, not even with bird shot, so the only way to do aerials is with a very consistent toss of at most 8–10 feet. After seeing the kickers at Tarheel 3-Gun Challenge, this ought to work for us!

I have a pair as well and I love them! Got a couple of neat trick shot videos to share using them too!

Popper at 100 with a mid air clay shot...with the AR? It took me a few tries, but it made me giggle to hit it.

Last year at RM3G, I got to shoot at some clay launchers which fired clays straight up in the air after being activated by falling poppers. The targets were presented very cleanly and exactly the same every single time. They seemed to be easy to reset and and held up well through rain, hail and 350 competitors. I am working out the details of the Pikes Peak Shotgun Challenge and decided to try and use the same kickers. I called JJ to inquire about the launchers he has and looked up Black Sheep's website. http://www.blacksheepmanufacturing.com/

A few weeks ago, I purchased 3 kickers for the match. I got an email from Matt Happ the next day and the launchers showed up a week later. I called a couple of buddies and we headed to the range for a pre-Superstition practice and to test out the new toys.

Assembly of the kickers was fairly easy, although the instructions only detail the installation of the legs and doesn't mention anything about how to adjust the spring tension. That being said, this is a very simple device and a shaved chimp can figure it out with a quick glance. One thing to not on assembly is that when installing the actuation bar, don't tighten the lock nut down too tight as the bar needs to swing freely during reset. I snugged up the nut, figured out why it wasn't resetting and then backed off the lock nut just enough to allow free motion. Then everything worked perfectly. We installed the kickers next to a small USA popper (just cuz they are easier to carry from the shed) and staked em down.

b7ee2041-7ca7-4bcc-bd07-9a387dbef7ea_zps

d58935d8-e21a-4506-bc78-bd2e7f32a3d6_zps

How well do they work? Well I gotta say.. these things are the shizzle! They really do what the company claims... they throw the target the same way every time and give the shooter a full profile of the clay at all times. This is a huge step forward for competitions and has more than just the obvious benefits of reducing the whining from competitors who take our sport far too seriously. The ability to precisely aim each clay to fire exactly where you want it (minus changing wind effect) is huge for stage designers. It not only makes things easier for the MD but also safer for the competitors. It also makes it much easier for the score keeper to see the hits. If the clay is hit with even one BB, the chip from the clean shape is easier to see than from a flipping clay. Even holes through the center of the clay are easier to see, because the resulting loss of material throws the spinning clay off balance. You can see the clay wobble in the air after the hit... even if the clay doesn't come apart. Calling hits is still subjective and the RO's must still be on their toes, but this should cut down on much of the differences in opinion.

In two weekends we've put 100 clays through each of 3 kickers. out of 300 clays, we had only 1 broken clay and that wasn't the kickers fault (more on that below). Black Sheep must be partnered with Energizer, because these things just keep throwing and throwing. Each clay as perfect as the one before it. The only performance problem we ran into was with wind. On Sat we tried to set up a practice day at a range east of Denver, out in the flat farm land. About the time we got there the front moved through and the wind kicked up to about 40mph. I would consider that extreme wind. Anyway, with the clays presented full profile for the shooter, they are also presented full profile for the wind. We tried to launch a couple of clays, which were set to go about 15ft in the air. With that much wind the clays went up 15ft and traveled 15yds before hitting the ground.

Durability? After 300 clays and a middle eastern sand storm, the kickers show almost no sign of wear and tear. I say almost, because one of my buddies, by accident (or so he says), center punched one of the kickers from about 18 yds. He must have been using a tight choke since the pattern was only about 12" wide, but the kicker caught all of the shot and the wad. The surface of the plate was dimpled and the paint chipped, but no real damage. The plate wasn't bent at all and it still functions perfectly. Since the clay is sitting against that plate on the other side, the transfer of energy through the plate was enough to break the clay in it's slot on the back side.

2200083a-7c6f-46ba-adf2-4a926e720af8_zps

Summary... Excellent product! This is the only way we will be launching verticle clays at the Pikes Peak Shotgun Challenge. I bought 3 and will be borrowing 6 more. I will be purchasing more for next years match for sure. Well worth $150ea.

What's that doo-hickey attached to the back side of the popper?

Almost looks like one of those hatchback lift supports.

Our club uses only forward falling poppers. Those rods are the supports for forward fallers. When we use them for shotgun we turn them around and use them as rear falling. The shotgun wiggles them enough for the support to still fall. The reason for forward falling steel is because it can get pretty windy here and the wind changes direction constantly. Standard poppers must be readjusted constantly during matches. Supported forward fallers are much more wind resistant and easier to set up. The tough part is that the kickers were designed to work with standard rear falling steel. Forward fallers do pose some challenges.

Our club uses only forward falling poppers. Those rods are the supports for forward fallers. When we use them for shotgun we turn them around and use them as rear falling. The shotgun wiggles them enough for the support to still fall. The reason for forward falling steel is because it can get pretty windy here and the wind changes direction constantly. Standard poppers must be readjusted constantly during matches. Supported forward fallers are much more wind resistant and easier to set up. The tough part is that the kickers were designed to work with standard rear falling steel. Forward fallers do pose some challenges.

Okay.

I don't suppose Black Sheep makes real, live bird launchers, do they?

41Mcxo%2BPFdL._SY300_.jpg

for training bird dogs

• 2 weeks later...

Used two of them in a 3 gun a few weeks ago. They worked great. If you use champion clays with them we had to knock down the ridge on top of the clay to get them to fly without breaking up. No problems with the white flyers.