Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommended Tumbler

syme71

It may not be as heavy duty or as politically correct as the Dillon tumbler but I've had very good luck with my little Midway USA (Now Frankford Aresenal) kit. You can get a very nice little tumbler, media, polish, and a media separator for a good bit less than you will spend on the small Dillon alone. I would also highly recommend the "convenience kit" that comes with a clear lid and some quick release nuts. It's really nice to be able to glance at the top of the tumbler while it's still running to see if your brass is done. The big Dillon is nice because it holds lots of brass but I can get half a dozen Frankford Arsenal's for that kind of money. Set one up w/ corncob, one w/ walnut, maybe one w/ ceramic media...who knows. ;)

John

It may not be as heavy duty or as politically correct as the Dillon tumbler but I've had very good luck with my little Midway USA (Now Frankford Aresenal) kit.  You can get a very nice little tumbler, media, polish, and a media separator for a good bit less than you will spend on the small Dillon alone.  I would also highly recommend the "convenience kit" that comes with a clear lid and some quick release nuts.  It's really nice to be able to glance at the top of the tumbler while it's still running to see if your brass is done.  The big Dillon is nice because it holds lots of brass but I can get half a dozen Frankford Arsenal's for that kind of money.  Set one up w/ corncob, one w/ walnut, maybe one w/ ceramic media...who knows. ;) 

John

John makes some valid points and I followed that line of reasoning (rationalizations?) for a long time. Then I bought a Large Dillon tumbler and the Large media separator… NOW life is good! ;)

Ed

After about 12 years, I'm still using my original Orange Midway Tumbler. It's about the same size as the small Dillon tumbler and uses about 1/3 of the media the big one does. I actually prefer the smaller one due to the location that I have for my tumbler.

Vince

Honestly, everything suggested is a good deal. Just promise me not to buy the small Dillon tumbler, OK?

I promise! I think I'll actually go with the Berry's kit and buy a couple of more reloading manuals with the $$ I save. I'll swing the larger Dillon tumbler once the Christmas bills get paid.

It may not be as heavy duty or as politically correct as the Dillon tumbler but I've had very good luck with my little Midway USA (Now Frankford Aresenal) kit.

I have this one too.. for $37 at Midway.. hard to beat...

It does 2 1/2 - 3 double handfuls of 40 at a time. Been going strong (after the first lemon, replaced free), I don't shoot as much as some people, but this tumbler cleaned and polished 3,000 cases this weekend (1 pass for walnut, 1 pass for corncob)... it's big enough for me.

Nothing cut and dried... For me: Walnut cleans, corn-cob (with Dillon polish added) polishes. 1 hour for each

But people do single corn cob runs (clean and polish too, with really long run times), and I'm sure some people polish with walnut.

Walnut is the cheapest, I can get $12 for 50#, so I dump it often. I don't want the corn-cob getting all the dirt from the first pass.

This is kind of Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge :D

Am I the only one who used to mix corn cob and walnut? Kind of like the Dream Team of case cleaning.

Never tried it. But I like the idea alot! Walnut media doesn't really put a bright shine on the brass. And I'm way too lazy to run brass in two separate batches. I just changed the walnuts and I'm going home to add the corn cob in.

Thanks Eric

I just use rice now. It's just a heck of a lot less messy and is usually cheaper.

rice huh? I'm of asian descent so I have always have a supply in the house. I know we purchase the premium stuff for $12 - 25lb bag. The lower grade rice is $8 - $25lb bag. What is rice comparable to? walnut or corn?

Just some extra info...I talked to a friend who has seen one of the Berry's tumblers in action and he says it works as well as the Midway/Frankford ones and is notably quieter when running. He can have it running and still hold a conversation in the same room w/ no problem. I know there are threads on building soundproof tumbler enclosures but I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Oh, and I mix in some walnut w/ my corncob too.

John

Guest Larry Cazes
rice huh? I'm of asian descent so I have always have a supply in the house. I know we purchase the premium stuff for $12 - 25lb bag. The lower grade rice is $8 - $25lb bag. What is rice comparable to? walnut or corn?

Just got a 25lb. bag of long grain white rice at Costco for $5.99