Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning Stained & Tarnished Brass

Reshoot

I do not have enough stained / tarnished brass to justify the purchase of a sonic cleaner, or such. So, I was wondering if anyone has ever tried dipping brass in an acid solution . . . like maybe diluted muriatic acid?

I wouldnt use anything beyond something like Lemi shine. If you don't have a stainless tumbler, you might have to soak and media tumble a few times to get it clean.

I've seen guys get brass that looked like a steel case, then completely clean it up just by soaking and tumbling with walnut. But it ran in the tumbler for a really long time.

I should have been more specific . . . I am talking about brass that tumbling will not clean up.

These brass were tumbled for 8 hours. Yes walnut hull and polishing additive.

I am asking about an acid etch, for those that will not clean up. Could probably start with a vinegar solution.

Has anyone tried this method?

post-23750-0-53098000-1394647373_thumb.j

Two packs of 10 cent Kool aid mix or some Crystal lite. Mix it in with warm water and let the brass soak overnight. Let it dry and tumble it again.

The citric acid in the drink mix will eat all the tarnish. If you use Kool aid and leave it in a long time it will stain the brass the color of the mix. The acid isn't strong enough to damage the brass though.

Edited by leas327

I have a bunch of 308 brass like that, I'm just gonna load em and shoot em... :)

jj

I couldn't possibly show up, at a long range match, with brass that looked like that! They'd run me off :blush:

Yeah, I know, long range shooters are anal about their ammunition.

Two packs of 10 cent Kool aid mix or some Crystal lite. Mix it in with warm water and let the brass soak overnight. Let it dry and tumble it again.

The citric acid in the drink mix will eat all the tarnish. If you use Kool aid and leave it in a long time it will stain the brass the color of the mix. The acid isn't strong enough to damage the brass though.

Whoa! Clean and mark brass all in one step . . . I like that! Think I'll go with strawberry :D

I have a bunch of 308 brass like that, I'm just gonna load em and shoot em... :)

jj

I couldn't possibly show up, at a long range match, with brass that looked like that! They'd run me off :blush:

Yeah, I know, long range shooters are anal about their ammunition.

Dont matter what the ammo looks like, what does matter is the holes it makes...

?

jj

Just use the dishwashing liquid (Dawn) and Lemi-Shine already mentioned above, the Lemi-Shine is acidic and will clean just like the many liquid cartridge case cleaners do.

Many people using stainless steel media and wet tumbling just wash the brass in Dawn and Lemi-shine between tumblings to get the cases clean "without" tumbling.

I have made homemade cleaners but the Dawn and Lemi-Shine works the best.

I made the brass cleaner at the link below and it work well but it turns the brass a "pinkish" color.

• A solution of 1 quart of water, 1 cup white vinegar, 1/2 cup lemon juice, 1/4 cup laundry or dishwashing detergent, 1/8 cup salt. Soak with some agitation for 15 to 20 minutes and follow with a rinse of soapy hot water and allow to dry. This may leave brass with a slight pinkish cast which will disappear with a short tumble in media.

Homemade Firearm Cleaners & Lubricants

http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm

Edited by bigedp51

Just mix 5% vinegar 5 to 1, water to vinegar, and soak overnight. Make it even easier, 1 pint of vinegar to 1 gallon of water and soak overnight.

I do this with pistol brass. I sometimes use a stronger solution of white vinegar (gallon jugs are cheap at Costco), up to 1:1, but you don't want it to sit too long. The copper on the surface of the cases will leach out and redeposit with a very odd looking reddish color that most do not find attractive (at least that's what I've read is happening).

It also helps to use new media freshly charged with polish.

But the very cleanest, shineist brass I've ever gotten came from using the Iosso dip solution. Cases come out looking brand spanking new inside and out.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Iosso-Case-Cleaner-Kit/727251.uts

Edited by kevin c