Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Western States Revolver Champ. Results

In my mid pack, casual shooter opinion it definitely favored 8 shot but was still enjoyable with 6 shot. Except for Stage 13 which was strong hand only, seven shots total with no-shoot poppers, I don’t think 6 vs 8 drastically changed the stage strategies but most of the stages were short with low round counts so an additional reload was a big percentage of the stage time. There weren’t many long/difficult shots where major scoring helped but Stage 11 (Schmidt Standards) was one where it made a big difference. With long distances and short par times there were hits scattered all over the targets and that jumped three Major shooters to near the top on that particular stage.

The stages were designed by Kyle Schmidt and Sara Dunivin specifically for the Single Stack match so I don’t think it was representative of either a typical match or a revo-specific match. I would like to see Kyle and Sara design a Revolver only match.

I don't like to brag, but I do want to mention that shooting 8 shot minor helped me win the coveted "High Senior Who Isn't Vic Pickett" award!

These guys do a great job, and as you can see from the results, this event has turned into a real destination match on the revolver competition circuit! Thanks to Steve, Kyle, Rich, Cheryl, and everyone else who worked very hard to put this thing together.

There were a LOT of 7 shot arrays. We had a couple of guys on our squad shooting 6 shot minor and there were often things you COULD do if you were shooting a 6 shot but often it was a poor substitute for having those extra rounds in the gun. For me the funniest part was that in shooting both matches I felt that some of the tighter shots were easier with my revolver. Knowing that I had to hold those sights steady throughout that long heavy trigger pull kept me more focused on doing so.

It was a great match and I am glad I shot it with both guns. Next year I would like to see a few stages where it helped to be tall and the short people have to run around a barrier or something (not grumbling about low ports, not grumbling about low ports.) :)

-ld

As others have said, the 8 was the way to go. Funny thing is I ended up doing better in the Revolver match than I did in the SS match? I finished up in 7th place behind some "real/full time" revolver shooters and figured it wasn't bad for someone who has only ever shot a special classifier with a revo and never a regular match. Another interesting thing for me was this was the first time I had ever shot a match in minor and it was a "different" experience and surely made me think about my shot placement during the match. I had a great time and hope to do it again!

Neal in AZ