Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bolt Action Ar-15

Gary Stevens

I have a project in mind that requires a bolt action AR-15. It will be a dedicated suppressed platform in 338 Spectre.

This will require an upper receiver that uses an AR barrel and has a lifting bolt, such as a traditional bolt action rifle. I don't want a straight back pull action.

Does anyone make such a critter?

What is the reason for doing the build in this way? The advantage of the 338 Spectre is to cycle and run subsonic loads in a semi automatic platform. If you just want a bolt rifle with AR ergonomics look into a build with a chassis such as the XLR.

Well I have a Spectre that functions as an AR, but I am wanting to eliminate a couple of things.

One is suppressor blowback, and two is chasing pretty expensive brass.

I looked at the JP bolt action rifle, but would like to find something a bit less pricey.

The XLR is a possibility, but I think that uses a 700 receiver and traditional barrel. That would require quiet a bit more expense than what I am looking at.

Thanks though.

I tried the adjustable gas block, closed it off, and found sort of a strange thing. The back pressure from the suppressor moves the bolt back enough to have blowback. I guess I could use a real heavy recoil spring to help keep the bolt closed, I may need to try that.

Another problem with the chassis that uses the 700 action, very cool look by the way, is I can't find anyone who chambers a 338 Spectre in a traditional rifle barrel, and I can't find a 338 reamer to make my own.

Thanks for the ideas though.

Edited by Gary Stevens

If you close off a gas block you still will get a little gas through. You could just move the block firearms and cover the port and remove gas tube. There are outfits that have bolts handkes machined into the right side of the bcg and appropriate uppers with slots cut in. If you went this route you would have a straight pull action. You could cut could off buffer spring but you still gave to have enough to strip rounds out of Mags. I suppose you could make more if a traditional bolt action with a 1/6 throw but why? Go straight pull route and Block gas or bolt action; you can find a reamer if you look or the sane places that make .338 whatever ar barrels could do a 700 barrel.

• 2 weeks later...

Jake drilled and tapped the top of the receiver for spring loaded detent pin. USPSA, at the time (and still may) Outlawed a 'spring assist' to return the bolt into battery.

I believe that the detent interfaced with the gas key, that had divot ground into the top of it.....to keep the bolt carrier in place during firing. There was no gas hole in the barrel. The bolt is not coming out of battery unless you pulled bolt handle straight back.

Then he drilled he fashion a bolt handle attached it to the bolt carrier and further cleared the upper for clearance of the bolt handle....just like our friends across the pond are doing.

Yeah....Jakes a smart guy alright :)

Very easy to jack a spent round out and beat the USPSA law on spring assist into battery.

Tim