Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

stupid new guy question. ......scopes

3djedi

Ok, I'm new to rifles and scopes and just shot my new AR today. I have a stag 3g with a tac 30 1-4x scope. Works great at home how I have it set up. However when I took it to the range and had my earmuffs on I had a hell of a time getting low enough to see through the scope! It's an indoor range and wearing earplugs just isn't enough. Got to have the muffs. What is the solution for this?

What optic mount are you using? Another issue could be how you are mounting the gun to you. If you bring your head down to the gun vs. bringing the gun up to your face, you're more likely to run into muff contact issues. Low profile muffs will help some too.

I can't use muffs when shooting a long gun either. I believe that it has to do with cheek-weld; if you mount the gun further down your face, you have clearance for muff. If, on the other hand, you mount the stock further up your face nearer your cheekbone, there is often not enough clearance. Some good, custom - molded, high NRR plugs are a great fix. Check into Hear-Pro.

Edited by wgj3

Brownell's sells mold-to-fit earplug kits. Mix em up, cram em in, let em cure an hour or two. They don't last forever but they are fairly inexpensive and WAY quieter than most generic-fit earplugs. I daresay you won't even miss the muffs anymore. I get a season or two out of a pair.

How do you guys keep the custom molded plugs from shifting on you? I had 2 pairs made and I thought the first one was faulty because it would shift open on me while I was shooting. The second didn't exhibit that issue except for extended times on the range. But eventually it would shift enough to allow in loud noise. I mostly just use generic fit foam plugs now or Surefire EP4. Either one work more than well enough for me. The generic foam plugs most especially.