Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

from 2011 to glock 34 or 35?

3djedi

I was curious to know if any of you switched from a 2011 platform to a glock for USPSA, IDPA, 3-gun? If so, why and what are the results? I am actually thinking about doing just that. My thought process is that it will be cheaper, tons of aftermarket, cheaper, cheaper, easier to maintain, easier to clean, less finicky, and really the main thing that I am thinking is the consistency. For years I've tried to ignore glocks because I thought they were boring and UGLY! Well, a couple weeks ago I bought a glock 19 and just fell in love with the thing. It's actually become my favorite gun to shoot! I plan on using the glock 19 for my concealed carry weapon and that's why I thought I might switch to glock for my competition pistol. The main reason I compete is to become proficient with a gun for CCW (and for the fun!). While the 2011 is an amazing blaster it's just so much different than shooting a polymer striker fired gun. I thought it might be a little more consistent to compete with a pistol that's more similar to the gun I carry. I haven't actually compared a glock 34 with the glock 19 but I'm sure they are much more alike than a glock 19 and a 2011! Any thoughts on this? Am I crazy!? lol I do have a tendency to overthink and over complicate things!

I was curious to know if any of you switched from a 2011 platform to a glock for USPSA, IDPA, 3-gun? If so, why and what are the results? I am actually thinking about doing just that. My thought process is that it will be cheaper, tons of aftermarket, cheaper, cheaper, easier to maintain, easier to clean, less finicky, and really the main thing that I am thinking is the consistency. For years I've tried to ignore glocks because I thought they were boring and UGLY! Well, a couple weeks ago I bought a glock 19 and just fell in love with the thing. It's actually become my favorite gun to shoot! I plan on using the glock 19 for my concealed carry weapon and that's why I thought I might switch to glock for my competition pistol. The main reason I compete is to become proficient with a gun for CCW (and for the fun!). While the 2011 is an amazing blaster it's just so much different than shooting a polymer striker fired gun. I thought it might be a little more consistent to compete with a pistol that's more similar to the gun I carry. I haven't actually compared a glock 34 with the glock 19 but I'm sure they are much more alike than a glock 19 and a 2011! Any thoughts on this? Am I crazy!? lol I do have a tendency to overthink and over complicate things!

I think most guys go from Glock to 2011. I would bet not many go the other way.

If you're proficient and accurate with your 2011, what would you expect to gain by going to a glock? I shoot a modified 34 and 17 for 3gun and love them since those are the guns I know. But there's a lot of real accurate 2011's in use at our matches as well.

If you can shoot the 2011 well, I don't think you'd be happy with a glock, especially with the trigger. No amount of trigger work or aftermarket parts can match a good 2011 trigger.

If the 19 fits you the 34 will be even better. Slightly longer grip and of course the longer barrel and slide. The Glock is a less expensive and more durable way to go. Usually people have a togh time transitioning from the grip angle of a 1911/2011 to the Glock.

It's good to change things up. It will make you a better shooter. And it very true that the triggers are different... Very different. A glock trigger will never be a 1911... But that does not have to be a bad thing. I hated glock triggers at first. Now I enjoy shooting them... They add to the shooting experience ... The challenge. People say they can not hit the target due to the the grip angle... Grip angle has nothing to do with hitting a target ... That's sight alignment and trigger control. Grip angle might effect the speed in which you align the sights ... But you will adjust to that. I say get a glock and enjoy it .... Nobody said that you couldn't have a 1911 too ... Did they??? Get a glock 34 and you will enjoy it !!!

Lol...yeah I'm sure not many go from 2011 to glock as well.

I do notice when I practice with the glock 19 it actually points more naturally and seems to "lock" into place. When I go back to the 2011 and do a fast draw the sights are not aligned. But after a couple draws things settle back in. I guess my brain adjusts for it.

I guess it's not totally crazy! I do recall reading that Bob Vogel switched from a 2011 to a glock. I think he did alright with it..... ;)

I switch back and forth (between Glocks and CZ/Tanfoglios) and I don't have any trouble pointing either beyond the first couple of targets. Could be that I have alot of experience with the Glocks (maybe if I never spent significant time with Glocks and someone put one in my hand I'd have a problem...but as it is, no problems.)

Only place I see a problem switching back and forth is the reset of the trigger - some of these 2011/1911's have a trigger that feels like a touch screen mobile phone: soon as you press the hammer drops and soon as you let go the trigger is reset...you go from that to a trigger that resets in 3/16" you may have some trouble with trigger freeze. I do feel like my finger gets more of a workout on hoser arrays, and if it isn't up to task that day, it can cause slower splits and maybe a freeze...

He may have switched but I don't think he switches back and forth ... There is a difference ...

No...you're right. He switched to glock for competition and for duty. Actually I think he won his first title using the same glock he carried for work. Which is kinda what I was thinking. Use one platform for carry and comp.......well, at least much more similar. I dunno. Can't decide!

I never bought into the grip angle issue and never had any issues aligning the sights on different pistols and shooting. My biggest issue now is my vision.

I am a Senior Citizen and the years I have lived do not equal the number of pistols I have owned.

Edited by JBP55

My complaints in order of gravity.

#1 trigger, they suck but I ran a factory G34 trigger for a year.

#2....

Wait, there isn't much more.

Grip angle is just practice a little bit before hand and you should remember how to do everything.

And that trigger thing, just practice with it and you should be fine. Just don't tinker too much with it.

So for my vote go for it. It'll help you grow as a shooter.

But usually you see people going in the other direction for costs sake mostly.

I agree that the grip angle is just a matter of training and getting a little muscle memory working. The triggers will never be the same, but the Glock is workable for competition, otherwise they wouldn't be used as much as they are. I shoot a M&P9 Pro 5", which many people argue has one of the worst triggers(in stock form anyway). I can definitely feel the grittiness and some of its shortcomings while dryfiring, but to be honest, whenever I shoot it in a match, I never notice those things and it works great. I also have a Glock 34, which has a much better stock trigger then the M&P, that I shoot well too despite their differences. I think that as long as you practice with what you plan on using and realize the limitations of each platform, you should be good. To me, the 2011 vs G34 comparison is really an apple vs orange kind of comparison.

I went from shooting a 2011 in limited division to shooting a Glock 22 in production. The trigger really wasn't an issue for me- my splits were about the same on both platforms. Yes it's much less work to maintain, parts cost less, don't have to clean mags after a couple stages, don't have to chamber check each round, can have a back up gun for a reasonable additional expense. And if you are using the same gun for carry it gives you proficiency with your platform under stressful conditions.

I switch back and forth between Glock and 1911/2011 platforms all the time and feel I am a more rounded and better shooter as a result. I carried a G26 or a G19 and shot a G17 or a G34 in steel, IDPA, and USPSA competition throughout 2013. In 2012, I shot a 1911 in IDPA, a 2011 and the 1911 in steel matches, and the 1911 in IDPA. During that time I carried an EMP, a 1911 full size, or a 1911 LW Commander. This year I am using them all in different matches or carrying them, and even throw in a G20SF for carry when in the deserts and forest in my Jeep or UTV, or carry a Gen 4 G21 when in those places, and have even shot the G21 in a couple of matches.

Carry what you shoot best and have the most confidence in. Shoo whatever you want in competition and HAVE FUN! I am (or used to be) an "over-thinker" myself, and life is too short. Trying different pistol platforms builds different skills, allows you to determine your favorites, expands your knowledge, and IS FUN!

Go for it.

I am struggling with the same thing. I currently shoot a Tanfoglio, which is the most accurate gun I have ever shot, but I am thinking of switch back to Glock. My man reason is cost and parts. I know where to find parts for my Tanfoglio but they cost twice as much as the Glock parts. Another added benefit is that, I can do the work on the Glock myself. I can do about 85% of the work on my Tanfoglio myself but I will need a gunsmith for somethings. I can switch back and forth with no problem but I want to master one platform and kick butt with it.

I went from shooting a 2011 in limited division to shooting a Glock 22 in production. The trigger really wasn't an issue for me- my splits were about the same on both platforms. Yes it's much less work to maintain, parts cost less, don't have to clean mags after a couple stages, don't have to chamber check each round, can have a back up gun for a reasonable additional expense. And if you are using the same gun for carry it gives you proficiency with your platform under stressful conditions.

Pretty much my thinking.

3d and Bigg, yep same thoughts here. I am making the switch. Receiving a G34 from Taran this week. I am getting back into USPSA after a few years off to start a family. I have two 2011 Open blasters from a top smith. After running the numbers, I just couldn't justify staying in Open Division. Bullets for Production end up costing less than half the cost due to the fact you don't have to use jacketed, the powders are cheaper and you use much much less (1/3rd!) of it. The people who say that powder cost difference is inconsequential have never used VV N105.

To me the biggest benefits of going with the Glock are:

1. If something goes down on the Glock you can fix it myself. With an Open gun I have to send it back to the maker and wait.

2. Parts are much cheaper.

3. Ammo cost difference is HUGE.

4. Bullet and powder availability is much much better for Production.

5. The Glock will most likely be less finicky.

6. Glocks are readily available. No long waits. When you need to replace the gun (or get a back up), you can have it in hand quickly.

Edited by MartyM

3d and Bigg, yep same thoughts here. I am making the switch. Receiving a G34 from Taran this week. I am getting back into USPSA after a few years off to start a family. I have two 2011 Open blasters from a top maker. After running the numbers, I just couldn't justify staying in Open Division. Bullets for Production end up costing less than half the cost due to the fact you don't have to use jacketed, the powders are cheaper and you use much much less (1/3rd!). The people who say that powder cost difference is inconsequential have never used VV N105.

To me the biggest benefits of going with the Glock are:

1. If something goes down on the Glock you can fix it myself. With an Open gun I have to send it back to the maker and wait.

2. Parts are much cheaper.

3. Ammo cost difference is HUGE.

4. Bullet and powder availability is much much better for Production.

5. The Glock will most likely be less finicky.

6. Glocks are readily available. No long waits. When you need to replace the gun (or get a back up), you can have it in hand quickly.

These are the exact things that are making me switch. The only downside is that I will miss the weight of my Tanfoglio when shooting the .40S&W but being able to buy a backup for half the price is good enough for me. I see you using N105..wow and I thought N320 was expensive.

I've been using a Glock 34 Gen 4 for my first year or so in Production after not having much experience with it compared to the Beretta 92FS that I used in my law enforcement days. It's taken me about a year to get used to a striker-fired trigger system, but I'm sold on the platform. It's reliable and I'll challenge anyone who says Glock pistols aren't accurate. I had accuracy problems initially that I knew were my fault. Once I got my issues (mostly figured) out, the accuracy has been weirdly good even with the stock barrel.

Reliability isn't an issue, they're easy to maintain and I don't even have to think about screwing around with the mags. They just work.

I'm actually going to try to see if I like my Beretta 92FS in Production so that I transform the Glock 34 into a proper Steel gun (add a frame weight, mag well, etc) and maybe an Open gun in the future. I'll keep shooting GSSF matches so that I can hopefully nab some more Glocks through random awards (no real change of me actually earning one through performance) so that I can use a Glock 35 in Limited and maybe just get a G17/34 that I can dedicate to an Open build.

Glocks are good when it comes to value guns for USPSA. They might not be the optimal guns for divisions like Limited and Open, but they're good value propositions if you're on a budget.