Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is this on the brass?

jayhkr

It may have been a facetious statement, who knows ???

I thought it was the full line for powder. I guess I have to start weighing charges now...

SO wrong. :roflol:

I LOL'd

Definitely a facetious statement, but just too funny. So wrong, another way of saying that it was a twisted and funny statement.

• 2 months later...

I really like this brass, went to the range to practice one day and someone left a huge pile of it all in one spot. I normally dont pick up range brass but this was all once fired new stuff all head stamped Aquila no one was around to claim it so I had to pick it up. Doing my part to keep the range clean :-) but anyway after a short time cleaning loaded some up for major 9 and they went through the press slick as snot sized easy deprimed easy reprimed easy, now I wish I had more...

I've seen Aquila brass with and without the cannelure. With the particular bullet I use (147 Precision) at the OAL I like (1.130) I would get a nasty bulge right at the cannelure line, often to the point where the round would not case guage. It really looked that the case wall was giving way there. No problems with the noncannelured Aquila cases, or with Federal/other brand cannelured brass. I check for and scrap the Aquila now.

I've seen Aquila brass with and without the cannelure. With the particular bullet I use (147 Precision) at the OAL I like (1.130) I would get a nasty bulge right at the cannelure line, often to the point where the round would not case guage. It really looked that the case wall was giving way there. No problems with the noncannelured Aquila cases, or with Federal/other brand cannelured brass. I check for and scrap the Aquila now.

Were you seating the base of the bullet beyond the cannelure (therefore forcing the wall of the case out)? That would explain your issue if so.

More often, the *case* cannelure is cosmetic, not deep enough to help resist bullet setback, and sometimes not even near the base of the seated bullet.

Used to visually identify different types of loads by the manufacturers.

Years ago, I think it was Remington put one of those marks about .20 inch from the case mouth on their .38 Special full wadcutters. Regardless of which load, there were others with the cannelure well back from where the bullet base lay.

In college, I could pick out different types of .22 match ammo that was loose in the bottom of the can that way, but I don't remember any more which ones had the marks where.

In both CF and RF rounds, I have seen TWO cannelures. Definitely for identification.

In a factory-loaded, round, look how DEEP the cannelure is. Only the deep ones are used to resist bullet setback.

Ive had these as well especailly with 147gr.