Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Feeding my 3-gun addiction

Iggy42

So with spring almost here and 3-gun about to get going I am trying to find someone place I can order ammo from for all 3

Naturally I know about Midway and Brownells, but I am hoping to find high quality competition ammo for 3-gun. Perfect world someplace that carries all 3 so I don't have to pay high shipping costs multiple times.

Any ideas?

I don't think its worth buying birdshot online

Unfortunatly with my work schedule and the lack of good choices, for me its the best best unless I want to run White box from Wally world. My locals sometimes have bulk packs of Federal, but its not consistant enough for me to count on it when I need it. Plus I figure since I am already going to be killed on the shipping costs getting good quality pistol and rifle rounds I might as well add some birdshot if I can.

Basically what I am looking for is an ammo supplier to caters to our game. I have found a few makers of pistol ammo, same ones that everyone knows about Atlanta, Univeral, Freedom (although every time I look Freedom says they are out of stock on their website). Trouble I have having is finding someone that does at least pistol and rifle. I have been running cheap crap ammo and I am finally in a posistion that I can start getting some quality stuff and I would like to take advantage.

Best I do on shotgun is LGS or Cabelas, more or less what's on sale in buck, bird and slugs now and then. With a Cabelas card, it's $5 flat ship, while shipping per case elsewhere runs $15+ or so...making it less than ideal to buy online unless it's a free shipping or serious sale.

My hope/goal is to be able to order at least pistol and rifle from someone that carters to the shootings sports like Atlanta or Freedom. I figure since shipping is already going to be ridiculous I might as well add in some shot if they have it. I already have to order slugs so I might as well get shot too.

I ordered some low recoil slugs from a place in Nevada call Ammo Supply Warehouse. They had the best price that I could find. I haven't tested the rounds that I bought yet due to the snow in the NorthEast, hoping o get out next week to do that.

I am planning on trying some 124 grain from Freedom soon. You have to watch the Federal bulk packs at WalMart, they are not always such a good deal. I have bought individual boxes cheaper than they come in the 100 count pack. We recently had Dick's open locally and I have caught shotgun shells there pretty cheap. Bought some 1 oz. RIO I will use on the Skeet range to save my 1 1/8 oz. loads for 3-Gun and some Remington that is a little higher velocity than the cheaper stuff and I will use it at my one "Major" 3-gun match this year.

• 1 month later...

So I picked up from .223 and .40 reman from Freedom. The .223 is ok, but I have to admit I am disappointed in the .40 reman I got from them. My Xdm normally feeds everything well, but with these I got a LOT of FTF.

So brings me back to asking where can I buy in bulk .223/5.56 and .40S&W match grade ammo? Besides a bunch of 20/50 rd boxes from Brownell's or Midway since they kill you on the shipping. Ammo shipping is bad enough, would like to ease the pain as much as I can

Got a chance to test the low recoil slugs out the other day. I bought Fiocchi from Midway and Rio from Ammo Supply Warehouse. the Fiocchi's were 1300 FPS and the Rio's were 1200 FPS. Both shot well with no FTF or FTE, both shot consistantly in the same location.

George

• 2 weeks later...

Watch out for Freedom Munitions, one of my .40 reman rounds' case was split all the way down the brass to the primer. Glad it was the top round in a mag with the split easily visible.

You mean that you loaded it into your magazine with a split on the case and didn't notice until you were shooting the gun?