Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Invictus Practical dual and quad load carriers

Rob01

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have trouble not knocking shells off of the 2.8 trying to do a load-two. It's actually easier for me to load 4 on them :D

I am having trouble also. If my finger barely touches the second row bottom shell ,it pops out. The clips on the 2.8 do not seem to hold the shells as firm as my 8D caddy. I understand that for singles you have to barely put your fingers under the first row if you are doing a duel load but at speed it seems impossible ,but yet others are not having problems. I am changing the caddy to more of an angle than I have it now ,hoping that will make a differerence . If the bottom clips held the shells as firm as they do on my 8D they would not be as sensitive.

I have trouble not knocking shells off of the 2.8 trying to do a load-two. It's actually easier for me to load 4 on them :D

I am having trouble also. If my finger barely touches the second row bottom shell ,it pops out. The clips on the 2.8 do not seem to hold the shells as firm as my 8D caddy. I understand that for singles you have to barely put your fingers under the first row if you are doing a duel load but at speed it seems impossible ,but yet others are not having problems. I am changing the caddy to more of an angle than I have it now ,hoping that will make a differerence . If the bottom clips held the shells as firm as they do on my 8D they would not be as sensitive.

After canting the 2.8 all the way over and not midway ,like what it appeared to me how Kevin's was located on his video, I'm having much better results. Evidently, one angle fits all, is not the case.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright guys I finally found the kink in the IP armour. If you dive head first into the prone position with a caddy in your belly you might break a clip. I did. Cool thing was that I had a couple spare clips on board and swapped them out In 5 minutes.

This is why you have to combat roll!!!

What a thread. I was just looking for advice and what I got was quite entertaining.

Oh, and I want to apologize to Carbon Arms - you guys are the only brand of shell holder that I don't have two of.

And, damn you Taccom. No sooner than I buy my second IP carrier, you update your website with the Duelin Dueces. Now I gotta buy one of those. ;-)

Hal

I broke a clip on one of my 2.8 carriers this past weekend going prone on a stage with a mini-van to shoot out the back. I adjusted my belt to the rear and was not laying directly on it but I had to roll to one side and heard the clip snap.

I contacted Kevin and asked to purchase replacement parts. He replied almost immediately and asked me to send a pic of the damage so he could send the correct parts free of charge.

6 minutes after I sent a reply with a pic, he replied and said it would be mailed out today.

Can't thank Kevin enough. He makes a great product and goes above and beyond in attention to his customers.

Thanks Kevin!

Will

• 1 month later...

Received my 2.8's this week and I am already dropping my reload time from my load 2's! I was turned on to this equipment by the Fitzhugh's. I waited a while before purchasing quad loaders because I wanted to see what worked and for how long. Their product swayed my decision. I ordered the wrong stuff off the web page and emailed Kevin once I realized it. Invictus Practical took care of me immediately (Which is Huge in my book). I would like to thank them for this great equipment AND CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

Just setup my new 12Q. Notice the extra backer bars on back to keep everything exactly where I want it. I did have to cut them and grind on them a little to get them where I wanted. Topped it all off with a BladeTech TMMS.

Planning to crush some hopes and dreams at the big shotgun stage at ProAm with it.

4FA84D6E-AABF-4AA6-98F1-48D8C8262E02_zps

D399EC1C-2793-4277-9124-BE72C8C99DD0_zps

post-14685-0-51093600-1408489301_thumb.j This is how I've been loading the 2.8 to practice load 2. From demo pictures on website. I think the 2.8 is too close together to load 2 when 8 shells are loaded. Can do it, but to concentrate and focus, kind of defeats the purpose. Still working on quad loads this way, that is very easy to grab 4, without knocking any out. Love these caddies though. Might try weak hand quad load this weekend. Jesse, thanks for posting all your info-learned the basics from those videos before you took them down. :)

Just setup my new 12Q. Notice the extra backer bars on back to keep everything exactly where I want it. I did have to cut them and grind on them a little to get them where I wanted. Topped it all off with a BladeTech TMMS.

Planning to crush some hopes and dreams at the big shotgun stage at ProAm with it.

4FA84D6E-AABF-4AA6-98F1-48D8C8262E02_zps

D399EC1C-2793-4277-9124-BE72C8C99DD0_zps

Thanks for sharing that Jesse,

I have my 12 set up the mirror image of that to load with my left hand. Even fully tightened the shell carriers still shift and tilt sometimes hanging me up.

Looks like you've solved that problem.

What is the spacing on all those holes? I wonder if one can use erector/mecano parts to rig and jig those things?

So to answer my question, you can stabilize Jesse's setup with a $5 of hardware from Lowes. In the hardware section, in those drawers of odd ball crap under the screws, they have these mending plates, they look like erector set pieces, 3" long. You can use two these across the top, two along the bottom, they overlap on one hole, and 6 screws with nylock nuts and some washers. Basically the plates overlap on the center quad and use one bolt there, then one end on the other quads for each plate. Do it at top and bottom and its rock solid. You can also probably do the diagonal setup above if you want.

I'm sure its cheaper then chopping up the nicer bits from Invictus

VIi1uVd.jpg?1

Edited by Vlad

For me, it is the angle you can get. If you mount each quad and you angle each quad, they interfere with each other. If you angle the entire backer then the quads can be parallel with each other and not interfere. You can mount them very tightly (like in Jesse's picture) or looser like mine depending on preference.

The whole thing is surprisingly light. It has mass, for sure, but it isn't as heavy as it looks.

What is the spacing on all those holes? I wonder if one can use erector/mecano parts to rig and jig those things?

So to answer my question, you can stabilize Jesse's setup with a $5 of hardware from Lowes. In the hardware section, in those drawers of odd ball crap under the screws, they have these mending plates, they look like erector set pieces, 3" long. You can use two these across the top, two along the bottom, they overlap on one hole, and 6 screws with nylock nuts and some washers. Basically the plates overlap on the center quad and use one bolt there, then one end on the other quads for each plate. Do it at top and bottom and its rock solid. You can also probably do the diagonal setup above if you want.

I'm sure its cheaper then chopping up the nicer bits from Invictus

VIi1uVd.jpg?1

Nice!!!

For me, it is the angle you can get. If you mount each quad and you angle each quad, they interfere with each other. If you angle the entire backer then the quads can be parallel with each other and not interfere. You can mount them very tightly (like in Jesse's picture) or looser like mine depending on preference.

The whole thing is surprisingly light. It has mass, for sure, but it isn't as heavy as it looks.

Exactly! See how all three clips are angled and in line at the same angle? I can grab all 3 quads without looking I just hit that same spot on my belt where the first one sits and then slide my hand up and back to find quad 2 & 3. I guess you could do the same by setting up each quad at a different height on a separate TMMS clip but then you'd be putting together a puzzle on your belt each time. I have a 2 point quad (4Q?), an 8Q and then this 12Q. If it's a really big stage then the 8 plates come out of the bag.

On a typical BIG shotgun stage of 30-35 rounds I now run a 12Q at 1:00, 8Q at 2:30, 4Q at 3:30 as my primary strong hand loads. Additional ammo comes out weak side 8 plates or 4Q and then I keep an AP Custom classic 4 or two on my left side at 8:30 & 9:00.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

I think the 2.8 is too close together to load 2 when 8 shells are loaded. Can do it, but to concentrate and focus, kind of defeats the purpose. Still working on quad loads this way, that is very easy to grab 4, without knocking any out. Love these caddies though.

I've been quad loading out of 2.8s and thought the same about loading two. But in a recent shotgun match I fumbled my first quad load and at the next reload reverted back to load 2 with a full caddy and it went as smooth as any I've ever done.

That's the training "progression". We train and train, then take a break, and then we do what we trained in a match and all of a sudden it's there. That's why I like these caddies, they can be used in many different ways. I think when you were in a match, that focus is really directed and it was there. Thanks for that information. I bet if you check it on timer, you are faster with dedicated load 2 setup and less dropped shells also. But I would like for what you said to be true, because you get 8 shells on one caddie. That's awesome.

That's the training "progression". We train and train, then take a break, and then we do what we trained in a match and all of a sudden it's there. That's why I like these caddies, they can be used in many different ways. I think when you were in a match, that focus is really directed and it was there. Thanks for that information. I bet if you check it on timer, you are faster with dedicated load 2 setup and less dropped shells also. But I would like for what you said to be true, because you get 8 shells on one caddie. That's awesome.

Yes, it was the training coming back but.... in that match I did load 2 stronghand. All I'd ever done in competition before Invictus was load 2 weakhand! Go figure... Must be the caddies :)

Okay, I just picked up some of those mending plates and plan on trying to rebuild my IP caddies for a little more stability and a more efficient layout.

A couple of notes. First, don't bother with Home Depot—their mending plates have different hole configurations and very likely won't line up with Kevin's erector set components. Second, Lowe's also has a 1/2" x 5.5" plate that is exactly as long as two 3" plates with an overlapping hole, so you can do Vlad's trick with only two of the longer plates rather than four of the shorter.

I have a local shotgun match this weekend where I will test these out, then I should be all ready for FNH!

Huh. I actually bought both lengths of mending plates and for some reason the 5.5" ones didn't seem to line up for me. Maybe they do and I was looking at the wrong holes to align, but if the 5.5 ones work then they are the answer of course.

Huh. I actually bought both lengths of mending plates and for some reason the 5.5" ones didn't seem to line up for me. Maybe they do and I was looking at the wrong holes to align, but if the 5.5 ones work then they are the answer of course.

I can't say I tried them yet, but I bought both. However, in the store I overlaid two 3" on the 5.5" and the holes did seem to line up perfectly. We'll see when I start tearing things apart and putting htem back together. :)