Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL650 primer Kaboom, Better off on 1050?

I've been entertaining the idea of getting a 1050 for the past few weeks now, but today might of been the push over the edge.

For the 2nd time in under a year i've had a chain reaction primer detonation on my dillon xl650 that has set off my entire primer magazine. Not only does this scare the crap out of me, and safety wise, It's down time on the press I really dont want. I know dillon will replace the parts, but regardless - I want my equipment to work 100% all the time.

I use federal primers ( and NEED to use them with my competition revolvers ) , so I know that doesnt help my cause.

But, question - is the priming system on the 1050 any different then the 650 where it might prevent the chain reaction all the way up the primer magazine causing the big kaboom ?

Thanks

Although I have never lit one off with any of the Dillon's I can tell you that it would be much more likely to "chain reaction" stepping the tenth of an inch or so between primers on the 650 than any or the others that use a shuttle style primer slide (and the plastic oraface).

I have had several kabooms on both a 650 &1050, more on the 650, but usually with Fed primers. Mostly use Win and CCI on the 1050. None have been chain reactions, my saving grace may be that all of them I saw the fire come out the top of the brass, so they were probably just crooked primers mostly seated when they blew.

Try to keep the everything clean, remove the primer assembly as often as you can to clean under it, you are cleaning the primer material residue which is near invisible. Only other thing I can offer is to stop when you meet any resistance, if you don't you may have a jamed primer in the wheel under the shell plate and just a small amount of force will detonate it.

jmho

jj

You can set them off in a 1050 as well. The chances are MUCH lower. You would have to have an issue prior to lighting one off and have to try forcing something. I have 2 1050's. I loaded over 60k last year and popped exactly 1 primer in the press. I was playing with the seating depth and crushed a federal SPP. 100% my fault

You can set them off in a 1050 as well. The chances are MUCH lower. You would have to have an issue prior to lighting one off and have to try forcing something. I have 2 1050's. I loaded over 60k last year and popped exactly 1 primer in the press. I was playing with the seating depth and crushed a federal SPP. 100% my fault

thats good to hear.

and setting off just 1 primer while seating.... whatever, I can live with that....

Setting off 100 primers and blowing up the whole primer assembly, not fun

12199297136_ea300da74b_h.jpg

12199294746_41489e2254_h.jpg

12199299016_5cb2963494_h.jpg

12198680105_4a2fee22b1_h.jpg

Wow, that's scary, Thankful you didn't get hurt. I've loaded about 10k rounds on my 650 and never (knock on wood) had one go off. I'd love to know more detail about how this happened so I can try to avoid it also what does Dillon say about this and their recommendation especially if this has happened so far.

Glad to hear ONLY the press got busted up.

It happens with both presses. While you may hear of it more with the 650, keep in mind that more 650's are sold than 1050's.

I have been quite fortunate with my main 1050. I've loaded roughly 30K+ rounds per year with no problems for over 9 years. I use Federal primers exclusively.

My second 1050 has not had much use yet.

I have not seen the 1050 up close, but the primer system does look like it might be a little safer.

1050 looks like it pushes 1 primer at a time from the primer magazine, to the priming station - about 2 inches.

Where as the 650, has the round priming shuffle disc with primers lined up close together an 1/8 inch apart.

I have not seen the 1050 up close, but the primer system does look like it might be a little safer.

1050 looks like it pushes 1 primer at a time from the primer magazine, to the priming station - about 2 inches.

Where as the 650, has the round priming shuffle disc with primers lined up close together an 1/8 inch apart.

You are correct. The 1050 shuttle removes one primer from the tube. It then slides it about 2" to the shellplate before seating. IMO that 2" makes all the difference in the world.

Posted Yesterday, 11:18 PM

How does this happen? I need to know so I can avoid it if possible ...

Forcing things. I have loaded for 28 years on Dillon progressives and never had one go off.

It must be the right combination of force and speed as well because I have crushed primers completely flat in a bench vise before without them going off.

If you want to avoid it, stop when something doesn't feel quite right.

I was just cruising along, loading at a medium-fast pace, it felt a little rough on the handle push seating the primer, but it had already detonated the primers before I could react.

I will say this, The way Dillon has designed everything makes the possible primer detonation as safe as you could hope for... No flames / sparks would go toward the powder holder, the outer magazine tube is super thick, and the inner magazine tube is thin enough and has enough hollow space inside the outer tube to expand.

Posted Yesterday, 11:18 PM

How does this happen? I need to know so I can avoid it if possible ...

Forcing things. I have loaded for 28 years on Dillon progressives and never had one go off.

It must be the right combination of force and speed as well because I have crushed primers completely flat in a bench vise before without them going off.

If you want to avoid it, stop when something doesn't feel quite right.

I agree. My experience is 30 yrs as well with Dillons.

I was just cruising along, loading at a medium-fast pace, it felt a little rough on the handle push seating the primer, but it had already detonated the primers before I could react.

You just need the "medium" part of "medium-fast" to be at the very end of the stroke when you are seating the primer. If you are going fast enough you can't stop, you just need to slow down until you can.

Not unlike the "slow is smooth and smooth is fast" concept in shooting. If you are pulling the trigger faster than you can line up the sights, you get less than optimum results.

Edited by jmorris

Blew a 650 primer tube, darn crimped 9mm got in the mix and up she went.

Only set off one on the 1050 but it got my attention. My issue is it feels exactly like that final bit of resizing on a slightly bulged brass. You feel the resistance and can't really tell if it is a primer issue or a brass issue.

Alec,

yep the priming system shuttles one primer at a time between the magazine and the case to be primed.....

Also -- the 1050 primes on the downstroke, and primer seating depth is adjustable, so you could set revolver primers deep without crushing them. Add in the fact that you can swage primer pockets, and it's ideal. You can also load a few hundred rounds more per hour....

Downside: Switching calibers is expensive and time consuming. Getting the priming system running 100% has frustrated many -- but once set, seems to run perfectly....

On the automated machines I have setup, I remove the powder measure and powder check arbor and run the brass through as a processing step. It doesn't add much to the work, just filling the collator and ensures none of the cases will cause a problem during loading.

I have had other things get in front of my latest automated build for my 45 acp 1050 but I am almost done with the small primer brass culler for the processing pass.

Here is a video of how it works.

th_VID_20131019_144919_066_zps63db164a.j