Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which bulk shotgun shells?

Ctbreitwieser

I've always just shot whatever I come across when it comes to 12 gauge, but it's never been for anything competetive. So I'm ready to buy some more bulk 12 gauge, but this time around I want what will be most reliable or effective. I've found Walmart Winchester and federal 100rd packs for $27 for Win and $29 for Fed. I also found a Gunshop that has Estate 250rd cases for $67.

So basically I have 3 options that are pretty much all the same price. They're all 7 1/2 shot, 2 3/4". I've shot all them through my Stoeger 3000 in the past, and never had problems with any, but I haven't shot it "that" much. Just wondering if you all have a recommendation on which brand I should go with.

I have shot quite a few of both Federal Top Gun target loads and Remington Gun Club loads. I've pretty much settled on the Remington shells, they're super reliable in both my Versamax and my M2. For some reason the Federal shells hang up my M2, I think it's a crimp issue.

I really like the Remington ShurShot Heavy Dove loads, which are about $73 per case out the door at Academy. A little more expensive than some of the 1oz loads, but the Heavy Dove's 1 1/8oz of 7.5 shot at 1255fps is pretty effective in knocking down steel at moderate distance.

I have had excellent results from the Wal Mart Federal bulk packs, have shot thousands of rounds with no issues through my Versa Max. Had bad luck with the Winchester bulk from there though. For the price, the Federal 1-1/8, 7.5 shot, 3 dram Field and Target bulk packs can't be beat, for a little more money there are lots of good choices out there but hard to beat $26.00 / 100 on the Federals -

The biggest gripe I've seen from anyone is on the bulk Winchester.

I've shot them through my JM w/out issues, but saw both an FN and a JM have issues with them in the past few matches, plus the numerous reports on them online.

Federal bulk, Estate, Fiocchi, Rem Gun Clubs or B&P (Cabelas sometimes has them) have all been good to go with my JM Pro.

Getting ready to try some Herters 1 1/8 7.5s.

After my last WM experience of waiting for nearly an hour to get someone to unlock the cabinet just to get a bulk pack of shells, I'm done with WM.

Without free shipping, it generally doesn't pay to buy shot shells online except for specialty or maybe single boxes here and there. Most places get $16+ to ship per case, which negates any savings for the most part.

As I've got a Cabela's card, I pretty much pick up a case or two of whatever is closest to 3dram, 1200FPS or higher, and pay $5 flat rate shipping. If they ever change that policy...crap. Best LGS with decent shotgun stock is nearly an hour away. :blush:

Edited by rtp

I've actually wondered about the Rios. Haven't heard of any feedback from them yet though. I may just give them a try.

Careful with RIOs. You want to try a box before you buy them in bulk. They will not run in either my Nova or my Versa. The hull and metal casing are so thin that they expand into the large extractor groove and lock up in the chamber. The RIO buck and slugs seem to run fine in my guns. Just not the bird shot.

I've actually wondered about the Rios. Haven't heard of any feedback from them yet though. I may just give them a try.

Careful with RIOs. You want to try a box before you buy them in bulk. They will not run in either my Nova or my Versa. The hull and metal casing are so thin that they expand into the large extractor groove and lock up in the chamber. The RIO buck and slugs seem to run fine in my guns. Just not the bird shot.

Rural king had 15% off Winchester ammo so I bought some of those. They were the white boxes instead of the Walmart 100rd cases. Don't know if that stuff is any different. I'll run some through it to try.

But anyways, I've really been wanting some 00 buck and noticed the RIOs are much less expensive. Do the 9 pellet 00s work ok for match use?

Thanks for this. I've run a bunch of their #00 and some slugs without issue, but will avoid them for birdshot.

@Ct...

Someone told me this weekend the white box Winchester loads are 'just as bad' as the bulk, but no direct experience on the white box..

I've used the Rio buckshot in matches before w/out issue.

I buy case qty Winchester AA's and was buying case qty Federal Premium from Rogers Sporting Goods near Kansas City. When Winchester did their case promo I bought like crazy and had max rebates coming thru me, my wife, my office, a parent,.....each rebate was $100 for 5 cases.

Mike,

I've had Rio's bind up my Super Nova. 1 1/8 oz, 1250 FPS. The same ammo runs fine in my M2. I have some lower velocity coming, hopefully those will run well in the Super Nova.

Another thing with the Rio's......buckshot and slug loads are noticeably longer. Haven't noticed it with birdshot tho. That may be what was discussed above.

I have almost an entire case of low recoil buck I keep on reserve but it didn't feel right in my Taccom Qualoads.

I shoot the Wally World stuff - either the Federal or Winchester bulk packs depending on what's in stock. Usually 7 1/2 or 8, 2 3/4", 3 dram. They all run great in my M2 and I've never had a problem. On the other hand, my friend shooting his 930 has trouble with the bulk stuff cycling the action. So I think it depends on the gun. Buy it - test it. The same is true for Royal Star low-recoil 2 3/4" slugs - run great and are accurate in my M2, but won't cycle his 930.

I've run them just fine in my CZ-712 (and my 870, if that matters.) 7.5 and 8.

the length 2.75 inches refers to the fired length, there is no real standard for the unfired length, so buck and slug tend to be a bit longer in many brands on the unfired length.

the biggest issue is your mag capacity can be affected by the differences in unfired length, bear this in mind when attending a match that specifies ammo capacity maximums, instead of capacity at the start, and check your capacity with ALL your ammo.

On the ammo not running in Nova's, there are several brands that do not run "consistently" for whatever reasons, but when you look at what runs in some and not in others it can very easily be "your" gun that has the issue and not the ammo. I've had many people call and tell me of issues with, Fiocchi, Rio,Remington,and Brenneke, I've only had issues in my Novas with Fiocchi, and an English brand I can't recall. Shotguns can be like 22's in that resepct, tempermental to a particular brand, try a bunch and remember what works.

BTW, I've had great luck with, Remington shurshot heavy dove, Winchester AA, Remington STS, and Rio's for birdshot, Remington managed recoil, Federal low recoil, Brenneke THD, and Fiocchi low recoil slugs and buck, (except the above mention in my novas) All of these run in my M1's M2's. SBE, Novas, and 1301. Good patterns and good accuracy.

Trapr