Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I looked in other threads, but couldn't find anything close to this, so here we go.

I have been involved in shooting since before I could go to school and when I entered adulthood I started trading guns and ammo wherever I could. Then the internet came and now I can trade and sell stuff anywhere I want. I have spent thousands of dollars shipping guns all over the United States at 30.00-50.00 here and there through local dealers. This year I get my FFL thinking how nice it would be to be self sustained and deal when and where I want. So I make a sale and go to both of the big shippers and they want to charge me 100.00+ plus to ship a handgun, needless to say I shipped it through a local dealer for 30.00. Can anyone explain to me why it's cheaper to send a gun through my local dealer than it is for me to ship it with an FFL? Am I missing the secret handshake or something? I keep ranting and deleting trying to figure out the best way to word this, so give me a hand and clue me in. Any help is appreciated.

If you have an FFL you can absolutely ship a handgun or long gun through USPS. Without an FFL you can ship a handgun 2 day or quicker through UPS or FedEx, but usually not through their retail storefronts. Best way there is to drop it at the hub or hand to a driver.

I looked in other threads, but couldn't find anything close to this, so here we go.

I have been involved in shooting since before I could go to school and when I entered adulthood I started trading guns and ammo wherever I could. Then the internet came and now I can trade and sell stuff anywhere I want. I have spent thousands of dollars shipping guns all over the United States at 30.00-50.00 here and there through local dealers. This year I get my FFL thinking how nice it would be to be self sustained and deal when and where I want. So I make a sale and go to both of the big shippers and they want to charge me 100.00+ plus to ship a handgun, needless to say I shipped it through a local dealer for 30.00. Can anyone explain to me why it's cheaper to send a gun through my local dealer than it is for me to ship it with an FFL? Am I missing the secret handshake or something? I keep ranting and deleting trying to figure out the best way to word this, so give me a hand and clue me in. Any help is appreciated.

Anybody with an FFL can legally ship using US postal service. Very cheap, extremely unreliable.

Some FFL's have an account and get discounts with UPS/FEDex, and some ship ground or two-day, which doesnt appear to be allowed per UPS regs, but maybe they have a special handshake.

Problem is: since FedEx and UPS company rules expressly forbid shipping a handgun any way other than the very expensive options (they told me I would have to overnight it), you risk losing everything if one of them "handshakes" a deal for you to ship it ground. If the gun is lost or stolen, you can not collect on the value of it.

Some FFL's have an account and get discounts with UPS/FEDex, and some ship ground or two-day, which doesnt appear to be allowed per UPS regs, but maybe they have a special handshake.

Problem is: since FedEx and UPS company rules expressly forbid shipping a handgun any way other than the very expensive options (they told me I would have to overnight it), you risk losing everything if one of them "handshakes" a deal for you to ship it ground. If the gun is lost or stolen, you can not collect on the value of it.

I have shipped handguns through three different gun shops locally for the last twenty years and the most expensive was 50.00. I can't get a quote for less than 100.00 from the big two shippers. I wouldn't think that every local gun shop would ship guns illegally but, you never know. I have been to gun shops where they charge you paperwork fees and shipping fees, but not locally.

I don't get the $100 thing. I don't have an FFL and I take my gun to UPS and it's around $60 to two day air a pistol.

I had a dealer mail a pistol for me once postal service. He mailed it for me for $20.

I don't get the $100 thing. I don't have an FFL and I take my gun to UPS and it's around $60 to two day air a pistol.

I had a dealer mail a pistol for me once postal service. He mailed it for me for $20.

That kills me, I went to the post office after I read their rules and thought they were going to call the National Guard to get me out of there. Seriously, security and the whole nine yards. Just out of curiosity, do you tell them it's a pistol?

If you are following the UPS requirements, two day isn't an option. I'm sure it happens all of the time, but I would hate to file a claim if it weren't shipped next day.

Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921, will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air Services

If you are following the UPS requirements, two day isn't an option. I'm sure it happens all of the time, but I would hate to file a claim if it weren't shipped next day.

Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921, will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air Services

i guess it's next day then. I just give it to the clerk and they ring it up accordingly. Still not $100.

I have shipped handguns through three different gun shops locally for the last twenty years and the most expensive was 50.00. I can't get a quote for less than 100.00 from the big two shippers. I wouldn't think that every local gun shop would ship guns illegally but, you never know. I have been to gun shops where they charge you paperwork fees and shipping fees, but not locally.
The gun shops are using USPS. I use them too because even though they charge a handling fee, it's still cheaper than either UPS or FedEx who require overnight service be used.

The gun shops are using USPS. I use them too because even though they charge a handling fee, it's still cheaper than either UPS or FedEx who require overnight service be used.

You actually use the Post Office? I haven't had any luck with my local. Do you take it to them or have it picked up, they had a nut when I started asking about how to ship a handgun. The gun shop definitely use UPS. Odd...

Edited by chaosshooter00

We spend enough with our shipper to get pretty good account deals, but if you aren't doing a large enough volume to get a shipper to bid on your business, you will not be able to get good shipping rates outside of USPS. I will not use USPS for guns. Our account rep calls the big boys (ie. Springfield, S&W, Glock, ect) shipping rates "golf course" rates.

We spend enough with our shipper to get pretty good account deals, but if you aren't doing a large enough volume to get a shipper to bid on your business, you will not be able to get good shipping rates outside of USPS. I will not use USPS for guns. Our account rep calls the big boys (ie. Springfield, S&W, Glock, ect) shipping rates "golf course" rates.

I was actually on the phone with UPS when I read this and was wishing he could see it. The new pricing is between 65.00 and 80.00 and it has to go overnight...PERIOD. According to UPS associate, there is no way anyone is sending handguns out UPS ground. What say ye?

I was actually on the phone with UPS when I read this and was wishing he could see it. The new pricing is between 65.00 and 80.00 and it has to go overnight...PERIOD. According to UPS associate, there is no way anyone is sending handguns out UPS ground. What say ye?

UPS instituted this rule in 1999 because they could not control their employee thefts of firearms principally out of their Alexandria, VA facilities which at the time serviced InterArms.

As a dealer we usually ship handguns registered US Mail and have yet to have had a problem doing so. Even when it comes to machine guns we ship registered priority mail which is also the method most often used in diamond shipments.